Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Should Albert park be a round of the championship?
Yep go for it 19 41.30%
Nah leave it alone 18 39.13%
couldnt give a toss !!! 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Jan 2003, 19:31 (Ref:484857)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Albert Park

so with Albert Park coming upon us I got to wondering should it be part of the championship or not ???

Surfers was added last year and it seemed to be a great success, so why not add the grand prix supports as well , I dont see any point in exibition races and an extra round on such a circuit would be good.

I guess there is problems with track time but im sure bernie and TC could work it out LOL

whats your opinion.
Old 24 Jan 2003, 19:58 (Ref:484885)   #2
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the GP support race in 2001 and it was a great disappointment. The teams were too scred of damaging their cars when their was nothing at stake to put on a good show
Old 24 Jan 2003, 21:00 (Ref:484940)   #3
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I said leave it alone, but it is not a definite.

IF, these things were to happen then it would possibly work out well, but I can't see it happening.

Equal billing with the F1 cars, meaning a couple of full length races, not some 8-10 lap screamers. Possibly a shorter Saturday race with a long Sunday race.

If Ford and Holden could manage to agree on and changes early and get their cars ready for March so it was a true beginning of the new season, rather than an extension of last season woth old cars etc.

In some ways though I think it is better as a non championship round as it actually gives the team some on track racing time to sort a few things out so that they can hit Adelaide and the start of the championship running and make a real show of it.
Old 24 Jan 2003, 22:08 (Ref:485016)   #4
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It should be part of the series . rolling out a car is a costly thing so it should be worth points every time
There never going to be equal billing with F1 and for good reason but there racing there never the less so why not make it for the series
Old 24 Jan 2003, 23:41 (Ref:485094)   #5
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is like this year and teams are running old cars, what would it make V8 Supercars look like to and international spectator. I reckon that all teams should have current model cars on the grid for the opening race of the championship, after all this is supposed to be the showcase of Australian Motorsport.
Maybe AVESCO and CAMS could work through the Xmas break to make sure all rules regulations etc are in place so teams can have cars ready, and then have a rest when it is all up and running.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 00:11 (Ref:485117)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was going to post this same question - then I saw this thread. I am divided on the issue - if there is a race, why not give it championship status, but on the other hand its the GP weekend isn't it - they are the drawcard, not V8's.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 03:02 (Ref:485221)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm split between leave it alone and couldn't give a toss.

Touring Cars will never have equal status with F1, nor should it, so TC wouldn't be interested.

Also, just because Channel 10 will probably be showing F1 along with V8s, doesn't mean they have direct control of the footage. FOCA owns all footage recorded, i remember a few years ago Sports Sunday (Ch9) wanted to do a story on Jason Bright, and used footage from the GP. They had to sign a contract with Bernie and dispose with a large amount of money to him to get the 30 or whatever seconds of footage.

The British Touring Car support race at the British GP used to be a BTCC round, but in 1996, even though BBC showed both F1 and the BTCC, they weren't allowed to show the support race. It is missing off the season review as well.

I'd say leave it alone but put up some decent prizemoney so the drivers will have a go.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 05:09 (Ref:485272)   #8
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should race for points but unless F1 improves its act then they'll need V8s just to get a crowd along.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 25 Jan 2003, 05:30 (Ref:485276)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But then the racing lately has been no more exciting in the V8s than it has been in Formula 1. I don't think many people would pay all that money to get into the Grand prix just to see a supporting touring car race.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 06:13 (Ref:485290)   #10
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think it really needs to be a championship round, although it would be nice, and would have more attention payed to it.

Even though it is expensive to roll a car out to the round, with limit of testing days down to 12, many teams use it as a bit of a test, for new drivers, and cars as well.

Another problem is the coverage rights, if the F1 coverage supplier is not channel 10, then well, mayhem.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 10:18 (Ref:485378)   #11
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
If it is like this year and teams are running old cars, what would it make V8 Supercars look like to and international spectator.
It would make the V8 teams look just as highly professional as F1 is. After all, how many F1 teams are turning up at Albert Park with last year's cars...

Last edited by William Dale Jr; 25 Jan 2003 at 10:19.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 10:44 (Ref:485398)   #12
pete55
Veteran

Bit different i think, F1 cars are hardly recognisable from one year to the next.
How's Bowen going. Used to work there a fair few years ago
Old 25 Jan 2003, 11:09 (Ref:485409)   #13
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
How's Bowen going. Used to work there a fair few years ago
Depending on how long ago, you mightn't recognise the place now. We're going through a period of development at the moment, and most of the main streets have been/are being repaved. I must say, the old place has never looked better.

On the down side, we're going through a bit of a dry spell at the moment (we're one of those drought-declared places) and the level of the lagoon is so low you can walk across to the island in the middle of it.

Quote:
Bit different i think, F1 cars are hardly recognisable from one year to the next.
How so? Last year's car is still last year's car, no matter how much you try to update it. Outwardly, they usually look virtually the same (sometimes I think that Giorgio Piola is the only person who could spot the differences) apart from the livery. How does that make them any different from the V8 teams running last year's car with this year's livery?
Old 25 Jan 2003, 11:54 (Ref:485454)   #14
pete55
Veteran

Maybe it's my lack of interest in F1. I don't really watch it anymore. When it becomes interesting again i might. Same with V8 supercars. I was last working in Bowen in 84 i think.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 12:54 (Ref:485489)   #15
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I polled Nah leave it alone but I reckon it should be an all openwheeler weekend
: historics,vees,3's,F Holden and as a real outsider a F5000 race (how many cars currently compete in F5000 here in OZ ?) with competitors from NZ, Europe and the USA theres gotta be enough of them to fill a grid, I know if they ever did it Id be there
Old 1 Feb 2003, 08:27 (Ref:492673)   #16
pete55
Veteran

It's only a V8 test session anyway so i wouldn t have it as a championship round and i doubt AVESCO or the Teams would want it that way either.
F3 would be a much better proposition to have it as a championship as i feel it would really create some interest in the class.
By all means leave the V8s on the program but not as a championship round.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 09:25 (Ref:492705)   #17
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted no but they need to stay there so Albert Park gets a crowd.Not really a fan of open wheel racing so find F1 boring
Old 1 Feb 2003, 09:54 (Ref:492739)   #18
pete55
Veteran

Neither am i Moffman but i've fallen for those fabulous little F3 cars. If all goes to plan i hear that we will have a Tasman Series again for those cars.
You're right though, F1 does need help to get the crowds in.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 09:58 (Ref:492743)   #19
Ozenigma
Rookie

Australia
Ozenigma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Sandown and PI are better tracks for racing but then have we seen them being serious at the GP. I doubt it, The racing at Indy changed for the V8's once it mattered so who knows. I say no but then it might be fun and at least the do pass sometimes unlike formula boring

Last edited by Ozenigma; 1 Feb 2003 at 09:59.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 10:28 (Ref:492759)   #20
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose if the teams are there anyway why not have it as part of the Championship.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 13:15 (Ref:492861)   #21
gsr
Racer

gsr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep it non championship , if they ever need an extra round head back to Symmons Plains.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 13:38 (Ref:492876)   #22
pete55
Veteran

They'll probably try a round in Japan first gsr. That seems to be the way the championship is heading. Overseas!
Old 1 Feb 2003, 13:39 (Ref:492877)   #23
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8's aren't there to be a lead class at the GP so it should be left alone, But at Surfers the V8's were equal with cart which was a big mistake
Old 1 Feb 2003, 15:28 (Ref:492960)   #24
moffman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by the man
V8's aren't there to be a lead class at the GP so it should be left alone, But at Surfers the V8's were equal with cart which was a big mistake
Why?
Old 1 Feb 2003, 15:30 (Ref:492961)   #25
moffman
Veteran

Quote:
Neither am i Moffman but i've fallen for those fabulous little F3 cars. If all goes to plan i hear that we will have a Tasman Series again for those cars.
You're right though, F1 does need help to get the crowds in.
If the Tasman Series gets going again can we please have the F5000 cars back