Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 27 Jun 2023, 21:41 (Ref:4165722)   #1
High_OCTANE_HSV
Rookie

Australia
High_OCTANE_HSV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TA2 vs GT2 Trans Am

Hey All

Excuse my ignorance, I'm posting from Australia and I'm trying to put some pieces together.

We currently run TA2 cars here that are imported from Howe using some more controlled componentry (ie everyone uses the same LS3 engine and G-Force gearbox etc) as it's a bit cheaper for us. However these cars are still quite expensive second hand, and I've found a Howe GT2 Camaro for sale in the US that can apparently be used in TA2 racing.

Just hoping you can tell me what the difference between GT2 and TA2 trans ams are and what it would take to turn a GT2 car into a TA2 car.

Thanks
Old 28 Jun 2023, 19:46 (Ref:4165798)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) has a GT2 class that allows both production-based cars and TA2.

These regulations are not identical to the Trans-Am TA2, but close enough.
Old 28 Jun 2023, 20:05 (Ref:4165799)   #3
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, I think that's more a balancing multiple classes of cars over conversion from one to another. TA2 is fairly tightly regulated without many options for parts, part of why it is so successful. I would guess if Howe is selling it as a GT2 car there are decent changes between it and a TA2 Howe chassis
Old 28 Jun 2023, 22:03 (Ref:4165805)   #4
High_OCTANE_HSV
Rookie

Australia
Ah OK I gotcha. Alright thanks for that guys, appreciate it.
Old 28 Jun 2023, 22:16 (Ref:4165807)   #5
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wasting time before an evening meeting and figured I would take a look. It actually looks like they might be the same chassis. Page 50 of the catalog lists TA2/GT2 chassis as one item.

This might load it right http://www.mydigipub.com/publication...p=48&ver=html5
Old 29 Jun 2023, 01:18 (Ref:4165812)   #6
High_OCTANE_HSV
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Wasting time before an evening meeting and figured I would take a look. It actually looks like they might be the same chassis. Page 50 of the catalog lists TA2/GT2 chassis as one item.

This might load it right http://www.mydigipub.com/publication...p=48&ver=html5
I did see that. I do wonder if there are any changes made to the chassis for it to run in GT2 as opposed to TA2.
I don't really want to risk buying the car and importing it into the country only to find that it isn't eligible to run in the TA2 category though, I might just have to find "the one" over here.

Thanks for your input too.
Old 29 Jun 2023, 20:16 (Ref:4165880)   #7
awegrzyn
Racer

awegrzyn has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Go to SCCA website, get the rulebook, and read the rules for GT2, then compare to TA2.

In general for TA2, get TA2 car. Everything in SCCA is a Frankenstein at this point. Don't use one for the other. Won't really work.
Old 29 Jun 2023, 21:45 (Ref:4165891)   #8
High_OCTANE_HSV
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by awegrzyn View Post
Go to SCCA website, get the rulebook, and read the rules for GT2, then compare to TA2.

In general for TA2, get TA2 car. Everything in SCCA is a Frankenstein at this point. Don't use one for the other. Won't really work.
OK sounds good, thanks for that
Old 1 Jul 2023, 02:39 (Ref:4166036)   #9
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As just a race fan, I thought they were identical, so this is facinating.