Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 29 May 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2700508)   #1
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Safety harness fixings

My question is... i am using the fia harness eye : http://www.highoctanecaraccessories....nchEyebolt.jpg

and my harness fixings are sealed bolt in type

using this for my locations in a mini

and wanted to both through both holes to create the correct angle as showen bottom left.

Can i use a high tensile bolts (same type used to bolt in rollcage) trough both eyes???

can you help?

Last edited by dtype38; 29 May 2010 at 18:44.
Old 29 May 2010, 18:50 (Ref:2700518)   #2
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Hi pitcrew, I've just taken the eyebolt linked picture back to a link because it doesn't automatically resize for some reason and came out four times the size of the screen! Anyway, could you clarify what you mean by "and wanted to both through both holes.." If you were thinking of putting more than one harness strap to the same bolt then I don't think that's allowed any more. It's also not clear how you were thinking of using that type of harness end with the eyebolt in the first picture.
Old 29 May 2010, 21:11 (Ref:2700593)   #3
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
Hi yes sorry what i mean is it ok to connect the harness end to the eye with a bolt?

1 end of the harness to one eye resulting in this action done 4 times for a four point harness
Old 29 May 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2700609)   #4
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Ok that's clear, but personally I wouldn't try connecting them by putting a bolt through the pair. Perhaps a suitably rated 'D' shackle might be acceptable?
Old 30 May 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2700883)   #5
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
Thanks for the reply dtype will look into that, has anyone else had any other experiance of this???

Last edited by pitcrew; 30 May 2010 at 13:42.
Old 30 May 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2701125)   #6
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So a bolt through the harness eye? I've never seen that and I doubt the scrutineers would like it, is there no way to just bolt it directly at the correct angle to the mounting plate? Perhaps move the mountings so that you can?

If not, I'd just buy and fit a harness with the correct fixing for the eye, it'll save you time hassle in the long run, I think.
Old 30 May 2010, 18:39 (Ref:2701189)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy_Rich View Post
If not, I'd just buy and fit a harness with the correct fixing for the eye, it'll save you time hassle in the long run, I think.
Or change the harness eye to a clip version.
Old 30 May 2010, 20:59 (Ref:2701301)   #8
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Or change the harness eye to a clip version.
Thanks for your replys my harnesses eyes are stiched unfortunately so i cannot change them, and for me to fit the mounts near the correct angle there would be a lip that would obstruct the path of the belt.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2702342)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
will they not mount directly to the original seat belt fasteners, the lap belts do that even on a mk1 Cortina ( well, a late with with seat belts!)
Old 3 Jun 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2703980)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only by drilling out to size,from memory the holes in the harness mounts are smaller?
Old 3 Jun 2010, 19:11 (Ref:2704081)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The mounting points for the original belts in the later Anglia shells are the right size for a race harness. However whether the angles would be correct is another matter, also most of the lower original points are mainly suffering from the old "metal moth" and I personally wouldn't trust them.
I've personally pulled inner sill mounts out with the seat belt of loads of later model cars on MOTs much to the customers annoyance, they should thank me !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !