Old 29 Jun 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2908061)   #1
maheedhurtz
Rookie

United Kingdom
SW London
maheedhurtz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many laps per set of tyres

http://www.girlracer.co.uk/motorspor...go-faster.html

Pirelli’s tyres this year have been deemed to bring an element of unpredictability to F1
When they upgrade the rules on this for future years how long should the tyres last to bring the best out of what appears to be an easy solution to better racing, do the various compounds need to be brought closer together or further apart ( one giving speed the other durability)?
Old 29 Jun 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2908065)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
This is kinda off/on topic but I read earlier someone suggesting they should try the super softs and the hards. Could be quite interesting, depending on the track of course.

Selby
Old 29 Jun 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2908069)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
There's quite a bit of information on what Pirelli intend to do with regard to numbers of compounds of tyres etc, in the article in the "Qualifying tyres ?" thread.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2908155)   #4
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
My thought is, just off the top of my head right now, is as follows. The softer (option) compound, if it's not abused, should last 20-25% of race distance. The harder (prime) compound, if not abused, should last perhaps 50-60% of race distance. I could see, at a higher wear circuit, like Spa can be, that these figures would be down somewhat. I certainly do NOT want it to be the case that at a circuit that is kinder to tires, that the soft compound will last 60% of the race under "normal" circumstances.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2908165)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I wouldn't want it to be like it was with Bridgestone, where you did 25% of the race on the soft tyre and then did 75% of the race on the hard tyre, or vice versa, regardless of whether it was hot, cold or something in between.

I would imagine that it's very difficult to get a particular given tyre to last for a particular given distance at a circuit that does not have a particularly stable climate if you have chosen to do tyres the way that Pirelli have.