Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 4 Sep 2003, 12:00 (Ref:707984)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autosport & LAT

Does Autosport use LAT Photogrpahic exclusively for their photography needs?
Question was prompted looking through this weeks issue and thinking how uninspired the choices were in the Club section.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 12:19 (Ref:708012)   #2
Michael Oliver
Racer

England
Witney, UK
Michael Oliver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Autosport & LAT

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
Does Autosport use LAT Photogrpahic exclusively for their photography needs?
Question was prompted looking through this weeks issue and thinking how uninspired the choices were in the Club section.
They share the same parent company - Haymarket - so they are sister companies. I'm sure they also buy in from others occasionally but the majority of their stuff is sourced in-house.

Michael Oliver
Old 4 Sep 2003, 12:22 (Ref:708018)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
just re-reading what I posted and I'm thinking it sounded a bit off...what I was trying to say was that it was just the same old same old. I think a similar thread has discussed this in the past, the merits of more arstsy shots and straight reportage

Last edited by PaulSands; 4 Sep 2003 at 12:23.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 12:48 (Ref:708048)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Surely that is more down to the picture editor than the agency/photographer. As a photographer if you know the magazine will always go for the usual uninspiring shot then when bother taking anything else.

Snetterton is a good example of that. Virtually every race report photo is of a car comming through the chicane. Sure it's a nice place to take photos from but it's not the only place.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 12:51 (Ref:708052)   #5
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport do use some independents...
There is a guy who shoots for them up at Snetterton, hes fairly local, his accent givs him away. I know another guy too, (his name escapes me) he puts stuff Motoring news's way too.

The LAT guys used to make me smile at BTCC meets, a trio of them, all choosing a similar vantage point...

Kelvin
Old 4 Sep 2003, 12:58 (Ref:708059)   #6
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
G_Ilott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching the media shooters at meetings, it seems more like a social event for them rather than work. Half of the races are spent yakking, only deigning to pick up their camera's for the main series. You can't shoot everything, I know, but why don't they use the less saleable series to take some different shots?
Old 4 Sep 2003, 13:34 (Ref:708090)   #7
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of those guys u see are contracted with guranteed sales, to photo the support series and make money it would mean working to sell their photos, like some of us 'independents' have to do.
I recall Jim Edwards Jnr. asking me to take some shots in 2001, towards the end of the year, as not one photographer had offered him pictures of that years series!!!
Old 4 Sep 2003, 13:42 (Ref:708095)   #8
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I want to try latch onto a series for 2004...problem is I'm getting an uncontrollable liking and pull towards GT's and I'm pretty sure they've got plenty of coverage already
Old 4 Sep 2003, 14:38 (Ref:708129)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Usually MN and AS use the same snappers - not always LAT - in fact I'm not sure LAT send snappers to the clubbie events
Old 4 Sep 2003, 15:53 (Ref:708177)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin
Autosport do use some independents...
There is a guy who shoots for them up at Snetterton, hes fairly local, his accent givs him away.
The guy you are thinking of is probably Richard Styles who lives a couple of miles from the circuit. Autosport also sometimes use David Wick's photos from Snett, another local guy.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 17:50 (Ref:708272)   #11
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LAT only cover the bigger events ie:F3/GT/BTCC/etc and also use agency's like Sutton for other needs. "We", ie: the Freelancer, let Autosport know where we are going usually a few weeks in advance and they either say "can you shoot a roll for us" - or email us some pics from the club events. Actually doing a club meeting for Autosport doesn't actually pay a fortune as some may think. If you get one picture in there then it just about pays for the fuel and possibly the film. If you get about 3 then great but due to bigger meetings on at the same time it doesn't always work out well. I know for a fact that Rich' Styles at Snet goes out of his way to shoot from other points at Snet' but it's the "art editors" who chose the same old stuff week in week out. I predicted exactly what they would use of mine from a recent Rockingham clubbie and I was dead right-the 4 stunning Mighty Mini races that day didn't get a look in-but they did use a FF Zetec on its own-Wow, how exciting...it amazes e sometimes with some of the shots they choose to use in the mags when I know they have other much better shots! The last Brands BTCC round was a fine example-I had shunts and action galore from Paddock Bend-but they used a load of C**p (not John's main one of Matt Neal though!)- they just seem to use LAT to save money despite how good others might be.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 17:54 (Ref:708274)   #12
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
G_Ilott, please forgive me if you see me talking to a few mates at the circuits-as I'm not there for the racing at all!
Old 17 Sep 2003, 01:56 (Ref:721375)   #13
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A friend of mine has written quite a few books and usually has to source pics from LAT. He says he gets fed up with the number of times he asks for a Jackie Stewart/Tyrrell shot and ALWAYS get soffered the same six photos.