Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Mar 2004, 22:35 (Ref:890716)   #26
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I've never been a fan of Buttons. But Frank, your way off the mark here.

Make no mistake, every driver out there believes he is the best driver, and if they dont, they dont belong in F1 IMO.

He is paying tribute with his comments about MS, some would even call it respect. I admire him for that. Had he said MS was'nt that good and he wanted to show the world, then he would look like he was talking out if his bum.

Go for it Jense, drag that BAR kicking and screaming if you have to, but show us how developed a driver you have become.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 22:43 (Ref:890732)   #27
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pressure is on him now, but I think BAR should be more cautious. Look at Renault last year, they were saying that a podium was more than they expected. That way, they exceeded all expectations by keeping it low-key. I think the BAR members who've been there from the start still remember 1999 and the pre-season blabber.

Still, I wish Jenson and Takuma the best, not to Richards, who can't leave Jacques alone even now....
Old 1 Mar 2004, 22:49 (Ref:890741)   #28
swatty
Rookie

swatty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think Sato san will be more of a challenge as a team mate to Jenson than JV was last year. Just hope Master Button remembers that there is no I in Team (god that sounded like some motivational coach )
Old 1 Mar 2004, 23:13 (Ref:890765)   #29
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the forum swatty!

I'm with the small batch of Sato supporters here. Button is bloody good, better than Sato. But I think it's a bit unfair how, in general, people are writing him off. Knowlesy put it well, as did swatty, he's got race wins in him, and should be as much/more of a threat to Button than JV was last year. He's shown what he can do 2/2 at Suzuka. He can be a regular points scorer, he just needs to ignore what Jenson's up to, get his head down and go for it.

Go Jenson Go!
Go Taku Go!
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 1 Mar 2004, 23:13 (Ref:890767)   #30
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't he say similar things before the 2002 season? I think he was reported as saying that Renault was going for the championship. Ah well, better to be too confident than not confident enough.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 00:38 (Ref:890814)   #31
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I REPEAT; I'M NOT BASHING BUTTON!

At least u guys would admit that from the quotation i posted above Button is increasing the pressure on himself and setting himself up for a potentially nasty fall.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 04:15 (Ref:890889)   #32
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Button is putting a lot of pressure on himself but also on the team. I think the idea is to keep everyone on their toes. Its a constant reminder that they cant afford not even one slip up. They need to set their ambitions high. Toyota are constantly making low key statements. We all know they expect more than they say but to save face the speak with humility. Its almost insulting.

Sato? I dont know what to think of him. Hopefully he keeps up with Button. I know he races hard but that alone is not enough. It would be great if BAR Honda could be a title winner with the drivers lineup it has now.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 09:05 (Ref:891004)   #33
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Sato is good for speed but may take another season getting into a groove after wasting away in testing. Button's definately up to pace. If Sato can adjust quickly to his tracks from memory, he'll be good. Solid lineup.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 11:00 (Ref:893372)   #34
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I don't rate Sato at all and wouldn't be surprised if he was out before season end.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 14:07 (Ref:893542)   #35
Frank_White
Racer

All of this speculation is about to be made redundant anyhow.

We can pick this conversation up again on Sunday afternoon
Old 4 Mar 2004, 21:50 (Ref:894000)   #36
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I think Button has done alright since he came into F1. Although I don't rate him as highly as others. A few years didn't do too well, but maybe that was because he was a rookie (???). I guess we'll see, this is a crucial year (aren't they all?).

I also think Sato will perform well against Button too. He has the speed and maybe he has tempered it a little.

It'll be an interesting battle.
I agree with you about rating Button in the top end of the grid.In my eyes,he really hasn't shown anything to write home about.I'm sure he'd rather forget the first few years of his career and now he's team leader with a lot of pressure on his shoulders.I'm certainly not convinced by his performance against Villeneuve last year because it was a now win situation for Villeneuve from the beginning.

He has to demonstrate an ability to consistently score points and finish on the podium for me to put him at the top end of the talent pool of drivers.When any driver is close to the top of the field everything becomes magnified and how you deal with the pressure determines your success.

I've been away awhile and since my man Villeneuve is no longer in F1,I have thrown my unwavering support behind JPM.

Tye
Old 5 Mar 2004, 09:32 (Ref:894599)   #37
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well JB is a second up on sato so far, and sato had 2 (3?) offs that i saw in the second practice session. I expect JB to cream TS for the first half of the season, Taku still seems just a tad wild!
Old 5 Mar 2004, 09:32 (Ref:894600)   #38
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So far so good for Jenson this season, eh Tye? Surely it is of greater comfort to a JV fan to know that he was only beaten by an exceptional driver?
Old 5 Mar 2004, 22:24 (Ref:895360)   #39
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Button Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
So far so good for Jenson this season, eh Tye? Surely it is of greater comfort to a JV fan to know that he was only beaten by an exceptional driver?
I hope that his season goes well for him.I'm sure he won't have anywhere near the problems Jacques had with the car and team last year.He wasn't beaten by a superior driver he was beaten by the politics of Dave Richards and an unreliable car.You should know that by now.

Anyways,just reading some of the FIA press releases from Melbourne and came across something that I found quite interesting.

FIA Thursday Press Conference

Q: A new situation for you in the team,in that it can be said you're the old boy in the team now.Does that change things very much for you?

JB: I've had more feed back and more input,whereas last year,when Jacques was around,he was obviously very opinionated as we all know,but it was a good thing,because he would push very hard for the new parts on the car,whereas I would sit back a little bit more.But I've learned from him that you really do need to push,even when there aren't any problems,you really got to keep the whole team on their toes and that's where I've been working very hard this winter.

Q: So in that way,you feel you've changed,you're a bit more demanding?

JB: Yeah,definately,a lot more demanding.

Well,it looks as though Button Boy has learned to be more demanding of the team.I'll be watching very closely to see just how vocal he is about the car and the team.I'm sure he'll push the team very hard as did Jacques,however I wonder how many of you will say that Button Boy is whingning about the car.

The shoe is definately on the other foot now and I feel that this season could be a very interesting one indeed!

Tye
Old 5 Mar 2004, 23:21 (Ref:895402)   #40
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Lets not forget what Fisi did to Button back when they were at Renault.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 23:40 (Ref:895413)   #41
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said Inigo!!

So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 6 Mar 2004, 07:24 (Ref:895586)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes let's not forget that Button was filling in whilst Bennetton/Renault were doing a deal for Flav's favourites eh?

However on the Sato/Button comparison it seems to be continuing from last year at the moment.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:12 (Ref:895737)   #43
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Both Jenson and Takuma were superb in the qualifying, Jenson taking his best ever BAR grid spot (and almost being ahead of Montoya - which would've made his the best Michelin runner) and Takuma matching his career high, on a track he'd only had one nightmare race at. It bodes well for BAR, but, as mentioned elsewhere, they qualified well last year.

Anyone who still thinks they need Jacques in the team is clearly deluded.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:50 (Ref:895798)   #44
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well now we know the BARHonda 006 is a quick car...and not just a testing PR job. "Pressure" to Button is mere 'water off a ducks back' these drivers who raced every weekend from the age of 8 or 9 can lap it up. (Oh pun!)

JB is a quicker driver this year too...his motivation I would guess 'knowlsey' is to show Flavio and his former management that they backed the wrong horses, and that Sir Frank and DR weren't wrong in their faith in him either.

Now it's down to the first corner...reliability and how much BAR have learned about looking after the Michelins over a long distance.

PS: Nice car set-up Ant!

Last edited by Rennen; 6 Mar 2004 at 11:53.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:58 (Ref:895807)   #45
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always liked Button - mainly because I have long (since '97) thought Ralf was useless and in their first race as team mates Jenson OVERTOOK, HAD A GO and finished in ? 7th to Ralf's usual dismal performance.

I'm glad he is up there. Too bad Jacques ain't here as well.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 15:24 (Ref:897130)   #46
Frank_White
Racer

I must confess that Sato is clearly not in Button's league.

[Frank has a wry smile]; so much for button getting spanked.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 15:56 (Ref:897157)   #47
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sato does seem to love the grass in Melbourne...
So that's the guy that replaced Jacques, eh?
Jeez...
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:03 (Ref:897166)   #48
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sato vs Button .. Button .. he will be the one with the big points total at the end of the season ..

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:32 (Ref:897186)   #49
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well had it not been for the issue at the start of the race Sato would have been really close to JB. His lap times when the nose of his car was replaced was about a second faster than he was doing. He spins and slides because he is pushing hard not becuase he cant drive. Lets see, by half way through the season we should be able to tell.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 21:04 (Ref:897405)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In fairness, he really shouldn't have run into Trulli. Or off the road, or, or.

Its too early to criticise so I'll wait and see but I will say he disappointed today, compared to Suzuka.