Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Jan 2011, 14:16 (Ref:2811026)   #126
bmws r us
Rookie

bmws r us should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I shared Bill Hunt's Ginetta in 1980 with Tony Dickenson , I remember the first time out at night was very scary ! Talk about blinded by the light !

Last edited by bmws r us; 4 Jan 2011 at 14:28.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 12:55 (Ref:2820346)   #127
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally got around scanning the Motoring News results:

26th June 1980 Motoring News.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2831138)   #128
Nick Ellis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Nick Ellis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all.does anyone have any ideas or firm knowledge about which year(s) a driver named Bob Sutton competed in the Willhire?I do know that it was with a 3-litre
Capri Mk2 or Mk3 probably painted in the union jack colours of Suttons Transport.
I think the year could possibly be 1981 or `82, but do not know the names of any
other drivers.I am reliably informed that the car was a classified finisher.
I bought the car in question in 1992 from a guy local to myself called Roger Matkin,who used to mechanic for Bob Sutton. i still own the car,although it does now need some TLC as i have been unable to compete with it for some 10 years now.(Sorry if i have gone a little O.T.) The union jack colours are begining to show through the respray and i know the doors were drilled/repaired for lights above the number roundels.Any ideas out there,or photos maybe (Gregor?)
Old 15 Feb 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2831768)   #129
Nick Ellis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Nick Ellis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Further to my previous ramblings but a little more `on topic', i have checked the 1980 entry/results and have the programme/results from 1983 of which neither
lists Bob Sutton in a Ford Capri.This leads me to believe he must have competed
in either `81 or `82 in what became my car.Anyone out there recall a Union jack
liveried Capri in production saloons around the early eighties? I would love to find
some details of the cars `first' racing life, or better a photo or two. Some of you folks who competed in the first event in 1980 may remember Bob racing in later years.I am sure the car had been rolled during its previous carreer also...
Old 24 Jul 2012, 15:18 (Ref:3110844)   #130
capripilot
Rookie

England
Moscow Russia
capripilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-b View Post
hi there

anyone got a photo of the Alex Rogan Slick 50 Capri that raced one year?

db
I have a few if you are interested
Old 10 Aug 2012, 12:31 (Ref:3118340)   #131
Buildtech
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tasmania AUSTRALIA
Buildtech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Guy's: picked up this thread to make my first post on 10 Tenths. The Willhire Race of 1980 has many great memories for me as I was a mechanic for the Brundle Family team. Thanks to Alan / Julian for those amazing photos, one in which I spotted yours truly on the pit wall.
I have read through the whole thread, noting the 'Brundle' comments: the Toyota Celica we raced was originally an ex demo from the family dealership registered in 1978. Myself and Arthur Coleman (Martins chief Mechanic also in FF2000 that year) stripped and rebuilt the car from bare shell. I had the privilege of running the car in making a trip from Tottenhill to Hunstanton and back. I think we tested the car once before the 24hr. The race was a learning curve as the Brundles hadn't entered a car in Prod Saloons before. Martin, Robin and John drove the wheels off the thing, it held together the biggest problem we had was the brakes. I think we finished tenth overall, second in class B. The top boys were running 3 car entries and up to six drivers, so we were more than pleased to finish. We returned in 1981 with the same car and took the Commanders Cup; first single car entry home in Class B. Robin Brundle went on to compete with the Celica for a full season in Prod Saloons - Happy, happy days.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3118344)   #132
Buildtech
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tasmania AUSTRALIA
Buildtech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Ellis View Post
Further to my previous ramblings but a little more `on topic', i have checked the 1980 entry/results and have the programme/results from 1983 of which neither
lists Bob Sutton in a Ford Capri.This leads me to believe he must have competed
in either `81 or `82 in what became my car.Anyone out there recall a Union jack
liveried Capri in production saloons around the early eighties? I would love to find
some details of the cars `first' racing life, or better a photo or two. Some of you folks who competed in the first event in 1980 may remember Bob racing in later years.I am sure the car had been rolled during its previous carreer also...
I have an entry list for Willhire 1981 and Bob Sutton does not appear. There were only 4 Capri teams entered - Carrolls Transport, Autoplan Warranties, Luckins Publishing and Wheelers TV & Video.
Hope this narrows down your quest.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 13:53 (Ref:3237905)   #133
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have today scanned some b/w negatives that I have dug out of the 1980 Willhire 24hr.

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/kel...7633303242800/
Old 22 Apr 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3237943)   #134
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some good stuff their Kelvin. Thank you for posting.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 15:05 (Ref:3237949)   #135
Kelvin
Veteran

Thanks Alan.. I thought it was about time shared them after stumbling across the thread.. If anyone can add any information to any of the shots I would be most grateful.

Kelvin
Old 22 Apr 2013, 15:28 (Ref:3237958)   #136
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great shots.
I can tell it's my late father in the number 10 Capri, sharing with Mark Thatcher and Eric Cook and they also had Graham and Trevor Scarborough in their team.
The ICS Commodore is of course Pete Hall and Andy Rouse and one of the Mayfair Sciroccos is Tony Lanfranchi.
I have got the Autosport report somewhere at home if you want all the details.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 19:04 (Ref:3238056)   #137
Kelvin
Veteran

I wish I had kept my program, and maybe got some autographs too.

Cheers for the feedback
Kelvin
Old 23 Apr 2013, 10:39 (Ref:3238324)   #138
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Ford Sapphire Cosworth that was driven to victory in the 1989 Willhire race by Slim Borgudd and Mark Hales:

http://www.f1rejects.com/drivers/bor...9-willhire.jpg
Old 11 Feb 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3366912)   #139
kentmx5services
Rookie

kentmx5services should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildtech View Post
Hey Guy's: picked up this thread to make my first post on 10 Tenths. The Willhire Race of 1980 has many great memories for me as I was a mechanic for the Brundle Family team. Thanks to Alan / Julian for those amazing photos, one in which I spotted yours truly on the pit wall.
I have read through the whole thread, noting the 'Brundle' comments: the Toyota Celica we raced was originally an ex demo from the family dealership registered in 1978. Myself and Arthur Coleman (Martins chief Mechanic also in FF2000 that year) stripped and rebuilt the car from bare shell. I had the privilege of running the car in making a trip from Tottenhill to Hunstanton and back. I think we tested the car once before the 24hr. The race was a learning curve as the Brundles hadn't entered a car in Prod Saloons before. Martin, Robin and John drove the wheels off the thing, it held together the biggest problem we had was the brakes. I think we finished tenth overall, second in class B. The top boys were running 3 car entries and up to six drivers, so we were more than pleased to finish. We returned in 1981 with the same car and took the Commanders Cup; first single car entry home in Class B. Robin Brundle went on to compete with the Celica for a full season in Prod Saloons - Happy, happy days.
Hi all, I've just come across this thread as I am researching about the Celica, as I actually own it now, and I'm restoring it to race in the '70's Saloon Master Series etc. My Father Graham Dawkins raced in the '84 Willhire in a Rover 3500S. Not the quickest car, but the pit crew one the best organised team award. Graham raced the Celica in the late 80's, and I did my first ever saloon car race in it, back in 1990 at the age of 17 no less, at Donington in the since defunked Slick 50 Road Saloon Championship. I have all it's FIA Group 1 and original production saloon papers, and some interesting history. It still has its original engine, of which has been rebuilt.
So it will hopefully be out soon!
Old 11 Feb 2014, 21:23 (Ref:3367059)   #140
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Warm welcome and we look forward to hearing about the Celica's progress. Any links to pics would be welcome too.
Old 12 Feb 2014, 11:08 (Ref:3367300)   #141
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentmx5services View Post
Hi all, I've just come across this thread as I am researching about the Celica, as I actually own it now, and I'm restoring it to race in the '70's Saloon Master Series etc. My Father Graham Dawkins raced in the '84 Willhire in a Rover 3500S. Not the quickest car, but the pit crew one the best organised team award. Graham raced the Celica in the late 80's, and I did my first ever saloon car race in it, back in 1990 at the age of 17 no less, at Donington in the since defunked Slick 50 Road Saloon Championship. I have all it's FIA Group 1 and original production saloon papers, and some interesting history. It still has its original engine, of which has been rebuilt.
So it will hopefully be out soon!
Sounds like a great project.
Old 12 Feb 2014, 21:09 (Ref:3367502)   #142
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just found a couple of photo's that also brings back the spirit of the Willhire!

Always a brilliant event and it's certainly time that we should have a similar event again! Marshaled at virtually all of the Willhire's when I was much younger and when not on duty spent most of the down time with camera at the ready!

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
img119.jpg   img120.jpg  
Old 12 Feb 2014, 22:31 (Ref:3367528)   #143
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell View Post
Always a brilliant event and it's certainly time that we should have a similar event again!
Terry
We do, Terry. It's called the 360 mrc 6 hour race. The whole point of this race being established was to evoque the challenge and atmosphere of the Willhire but with the belief that 6 hours was a big enough challenge for the club level competitor. It deserves more support.
Old 13 Feb 2014, 20:04 (Ref:3368069)   #144
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree, the 360 MRC events have always been superb and having been involved in various ways with the Snetterton 360 meetings from the beginning it is great to hear that event from is returning to it's spiritual home this year.

Terry
Old 14 Feb 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3368501)   #145
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you both for kind words.

It was always going to return there really as it is its spiritual home...we're very proud to be back there and we look forward to seeing you and all the other regulars Terry

ta
Claire
Old 18 Feb 2014, 19:55 (Ref:3369849)   #146
Kelvin
Veteran

back in the 80s and 90's in the days of the Willhire 24hr what is now called Senna straight must have been something else, what was it called ?

Kelv
Old 18 Feb 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3369856)   #147
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
back in the 80s and 90's in the days of the Willhire 24hr what is now called Senna straight must have been something else, what was it called ?

Kelv
It was called the Revett Straight
Old 18 Feb 2014, 22:04 (Ref:3369883)   #148
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post

Kelv
The esses before the pits was something else, as was the bombhole when the barrier and grandstand were so much closer to it.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 08:42 (Ref:3369997)   #149
Kelvin
Veteran

The start finish straight I mean..
this was not called the Revett Straight was it?

Kelv
Old 19 Feb 2014, 08:58 (Ref:3370003)   #150
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
No Kelvin. I thought you were referring to the straight from, what used to be Sear corner down to the bridge.