Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 2 Jun 2003, 17:33 (Ref:618079)   #1
daverich
Rookie

daverich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beer ban at Le Mans

More important than who's driving what...

A colleague has just returned from Le Mans GP and reports a beer off-sales ban for 25km around the track.

Anyone else heard of this travesty?
Old 2 Jun 2003, 18:31 (Ref:618160)   #2
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WHAAAT!!! No Beer! It's a joke, it's gotta be!

Who's idea is this?! I say Tar & Feather the person.

No beer... indeed!

Last edited by veeten; 2 Jun 2003 at 18:34.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 18:59 (Ref:618209)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looks like instead of getting drunks, they'll get a riot....
Old 2 Jun 2003, 19:11 (Ref:618228)   #4
skid marques
Rookie

skid marques should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope that the Hypermarket 26km this side of LM has a big car park. Careful about taking vast quantities into the circuit- it's likely to be confiscated. Do it subtly and you'll be able to pay for your trip with the profits!
Old 2 Jun 2003, 19:20 (Ref:618248)   #5
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think autorities had decided this because, driving a moto and alcohol are not compatible, (and driving a car too)

I remember the same decision had been taken a few years ago for moto 24H.

"Un bon motard est un vieux motard" (a good biker is a old biker).
Old 2 Jun 2003, 19:21 (Ref:618250)   #6
The Brethren
Rookie

England
Greenhithe,Kent
The Brethren should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you sure he's not talking about the 24 heures Moto as they do have a booze ban for that.
Mind you, I had already planned to fill the van up with supplies on route and well out of town as should be cheaper than at Le Mans.
Rusty
Old 2 Jun 2003, 20:15 (Ref:618324)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Heresy though it sounds, you don't need to swill gallons of beer to enjoy Le Mans.

(Gallons of wine are perfectly acceptable...... )
Old 2 Jun 2003, 20:18 (Ref:618330)   #8
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True- LM should be a weekend to remember, not one to be unable to remember!
Old 2 Jun 2003, 21:10 (Ref:618389)   #9
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluebottle
True- LM should be a weekend to remember, not one to be unable to remember!
Agreed but a few glasses of a vintage red is good for the heart and the mind.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 21:15 (Ref:618400)   #10
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly is, there's no argument there!

Cheers! (chink, glug...)
Old 2 Jun 2003, 21:21 (Ref:618406)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I well belive this when I see it. We shall see what happens in 10 days time......
Old 2 Jun 2003, 21:27 (Ref:618415)   #12
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
This is a long standing rule which applies to the bike meetings only.
But there is no alcohol on sale at the circuit until Friday 13th.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 21:58 (Ref:618456)   #13
The Brethren
Rookie

England
Greenhithe,Kent
The Brethren should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something to do with French and German bikers riding like twots and killing themselves and others.
( Germans manage to do this at the TT too, something to do with disorientation)
The bike meet is a completely different affair to the car meet. Very grungy to say the least.
Me, even as a biker, will stick to the cars.
Rusty

Last edited by The Brethren; 2 Jun 2003 at 22:04.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 22:11 (Ref:618466)   #14
skid marques
Rookie

skid marques should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not a bad idea to restrict beer sales for bike meetings (is that a wheelist comment?). I live on the Isle of Man and we are currently enjoying ritual suicide TT fortnight. Bikers tend to forget which side of the road to drive on around the place. I drive so slowly when they're all here I worry about being picked up for kerb crawling. There's a lot of anti drink drive propo, but the pubs are full of leather-clads downing Bushy's ale. At least half of them are driving. Mind you, I'm an old fart, fussy today, but didn't care less 20 years ago. They have had real probs at LM with bikers getting ****ed and reacting against police response, so WATCH IT!
Old 3 Jun 2003, 05:03 (Ref:618773)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Just one thing about the booze : lots of controls are expected around the track and further by the gendarmerie... they could contrain you to let your car on the side of the road if you have positive at the alcool test...

Don't take ypur car if you appreciate beer/wine/calva (I mean : if you want to go back with the car ! )...
Old 3 Jun 2003, 06:58 (Ref:618828)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You mean we have to walk there......... ?
Old 3 Jun 2003, 08:00 (Ref:618865)   #17
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
You mean we have to walk there......... ?
I'm afraid you will, but fortunately, I think you have a 'chauffeur' !
Old 3 Jun 2003, 11:26 (Ref:619038)   #18
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah, designated driver time...
Old 3 Jun 2003, 12:56 (Ref:619117)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
I'm afraid you will, but fortunately, I think you have a 'chauffeur' !

True - choice of two - very nice indeed!
Old 8 Jun 2003, 20:05 (Ref:624910)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Funny isn't it - I just popped into a small indeendent forum I used to visit occasionally before I got involved here. If you'll pardon the language, this is the first post of the latest threead:-

oi ####s get ready because i am 100% beer fit and intend to ####ing prove it ( or at least will while you are awake you utter bunch of nonces)

Now I guess that just about sums up why I like talking to most of the people here.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 20:17 (Ref:624926)   #21
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
oi ####s get ready because i am 100% beer fit and intend to ####ing prove it ( or at least will while you are awake you utter bunch of nonces)
Huh ? Stone the Crows (FG's ankle biters learn this one to me) !
Old 8 Jun 2003, 20:26 (Ref:624936)   #22
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something similar happens in madrid. beer (alcohol in general) is forbidden at public places like football or concerts. Even you are fined if they caught you with a beer in the street!! There was no beer at Bruce SpringsteenĀ“s concert last may... (####ing stupid government we have, they only have very bad ideas)
Old 8 Jun 2003, 21:06 (Ref:624985)   #23
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unbelievable! The French are such softies! Did you know they even ban Supermarkets from advertising! and go on strike for the slightest thing!

(Edited by Aysedasi)

Last edited by Aysedasi; 9 Jun 2003 at 18:56.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 21:54 (Ref:625044)   #24
tink
Rookie

tink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
banning beer sounds a bit extreme to me. along these lines tho, is it true that there wont be any burger vans etc until friday? that seems almost as ridiculous. one can live without food so long as he has beer, but it seems as tho both might be in short supply!!??
Old 8 Jun 2003, 21:59 (Ref:625048)   #25
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who's softer - someone who doesn't sell alcohol, or someone who can't last a couple of days without it?