Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Aug 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3923714)   #1651
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Mmm, not too much on tomorrow. Think I’ll nip out and buy Greenland....
I can see if this doesn't happen Trump will try and buy Iceland instead. That'll bugger up the price of frozen food in the UK.
Old 22 Aug 2019, 10:11 (Ref:3923718)   #1652
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I can see if this doesn't happen Trump will try and buy Iceland instead. That'll bugger up the price of frozen food in the UK.
And put up the price of pies, no doubt!
Old 22 Aug 2019, 10:57 (Ref:3923720)   #1653
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
And put up the price of pies, no doubt!
This could be your final warning Baub
Old 22 Aug 2019, 11:17 (Ref:3923725)   #1654
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A Story.

Back in 2016 a man heard that a horse called Stayer was a dead cert to win the Referendum Stakes at Newmarket, the horse was the bookies favourite, so he placed a £10 on it to win.

Come the day a rank outsider, Goer came home first by a short head. The man was furious, and went to the bookies to ask for his money back. The Bookie asked why should he return the punters stake, his horse did not win?

The man said; 'I thought he would win, everyone said he would win, so I want my money back'.

The bookie then explained how things worked; 'You gave me ten pounds and if your horse had won I would have given you your money plus a bit more, however, as you lost the bet I keep your money. That is how things work in life. if you did not want to lose you should not have gambled in the first place.'

The man left and started campaigning to have the result of the race annulled, and re-run until his horse won, refusing to accept the result, claiming it was unfair, he was sure his horse should have won the race, He wrote to the papers and the BBBC for support, who championed his cause with enthusiasm. When he could not get his own way he accused the people who backed Goer, of cheating, calling them stupid, and not knowing why they had bet of the wrong horse.

The end of this story has not yet been written …...
Old 22 Aug 2019, 11:27 (Ref:3923727)   #1655
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Not as cool as it used to be, but that’s another topic.... https://globalnews.ca/news/5789433/g...earths-future/

Nor yet as warm, perhaps.

https://qz.com/1545229/tiny-bugs-in-...about-vikings/
Old 22 Aug 2019, 11:32 (Ref:3923728)   #1656
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Excellent.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 22 Aug 2019 at 11:50. Reason: Sorting quote tags.
Old 22 Aug 2019, 11:40 (Ref:3923732)   #1657
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Excellent.
I must admit that despite my better (or should that be 'bitter'?) judgement, I have to give Baub a score of 12/10 for that!

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 22 Aug 2019 at 11:50. Reason: Sorting quote tags
Old 22 Aug 2019, 14:28 (Ref:3923755)   #1658
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Going back to the original topic...… During their meeting today, Mr Macron said there needed to be "visibility" from the UK over what it wants "in 30 days"

What do we want in 30 days?
Old 22 Aug 2019, 14:58 (Ref:3923764)   #1659
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An ability to cross the EU borders without needing to go through many customs checks. This is what the Calais boss advocates and says is possible.
Old 22 Aug 2019, 15:12 (Ref:3923767)   #1660
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
An ability to cross the EU borders without needing to go through many customs checks. This is what the Calais boss advocates and says is possible.
Sack him, he may be telling the truth
Old 22 Aug 2019, 16:21 (Ref:3923781)   #1661
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Going back to the original topic...… During their meeting today, Mr Macron said there needed to be "visibility" from the UK over what it wants "in 30 days"

What do we want in 30 days?

I'd settle for rejoining what I voted for many moons ago - a common market without all the political power-game malarkey, in particular without "ever-closer union" which has never been necessary to enable the sensible co-operative operation of multiple diverse nations.
Old 22 Aug 2019, 16:44 (Ref:3923782)   #1662
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I heard that on the radio. He also said that they were ready for it, which is more than we are!

Another chap on the radio today was a customs border expert. He said real borders are coming down across the world, not just in politically United areas.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Aug 2019, 17:01 (Ref:3923791)   #1663
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is true. I don't get a passport stamp when I enter or leave Albania.
Old 22 Aug 2019, 17:34 (Ref:3923793)   #1664
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Not as cool as it used to be, but that’s another topic.... https://globalnews.ca/news/5789433/g...earths-future/
The Green Loonies are always trying to find something to back up their Global warming lies , as every one of their predictions have been proved wrong by the actual events . So when it is the middle of summer , & a warm blast has been coming up from Africa & got as far as Greenland causing some ice to melt , they have been going mad about it .
In a few months it will be Winter time , and all of the ice will be frozen again . [ The total ice coverage of Greenland has been increasing over the last few years .]

But if it never got cold again in the Arctic Winters , & the ice continued to melt at this rate , then in 12,500 years the Greenland ice sheet would be HALF GONE.
https://www.climatedepot.com/2019/08...t-half-of-ice/
Old 23 Aug 2019, 06:25 (Ref:3923846)   #1665
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
After the last two days, I was interested to read that the Irish government is putting in place plans to customs clear/inspect at the point of dispatch rather than at the border. A similar idea to that proposed by the UK government.

Not to much of a surprise though since that's what happens in all the other non EU countries.

There is also the thought that freight would be better diverting to Immingham and the northerly ports, thereby reducing pressure on the Kent road system. There are, apparently, good economical and "green" advantages with this.
Old 23 Aug 2019, 06:50 (Ref:3923848)   #1666
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
There is also the thought that freight would be better diverting to Immingham and the northerly ports, thereby reducing pressure on the Kent road system. There are, apparently, good economical and "green" advantages with this.
Which is why Calais has been making noise for some time about being ‘ready’- they don’t want to lose the business!

Shame we aren’t......
Old 23 Aug 2019, 06:56 (Ref:3923849)   #1667
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well the reason we aren't ready is because the remainers caused so much of a problem.
Old 23 Aug 2019, 09:23 (Ref:3923858)   #1668
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Well the reason we aren't ready is because the remainers caused so much of a problem.
It’s always ‘them others’.......
Old 23 Aug 2019, 09:35 (Ref:3923859)   #1669
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not really. But in this case who was it who wanted to ignore the referendum? Had the referendum been respected we wouldn't be here now.

The no deal scenario spouted by the BBC etc. is pretty much debunked. As we now know the EU states are preparing various solutions for things such as flights, UK citizens living in EU countries (as the UK is doing for EU citizens), non visa travel for UK citizens, ports and customs solutions.

We are behind in this simply because some people weren't prepared to consider it in the hope that we'd remain in the single market.
Old 25 Aug 2019, 06:44 (Ref:3924094)   #1670
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It does seem we'll be better prepared under Boris than Theresa. According to The Times today the government has prepared a series of public information films and publications ready for a No Deal exit. Theresa seemed to have no plans at all.

It's still going to be chaotic because at 60 days out - or you could argue five months late - we STILL don't know what procedures and paperwork we will need. I'm supposed to be organising a test in Spain early next year but am just holding back booking until I know what's what.

That's what's ruining the country, the uncertainty.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 25 Aug 2019, 08:19 (Ref:3924099)   #1671
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
It does seem we'll be better prepared under Boris than Theresa. According to The Times today the government has prepared a series of public information films and publications ready for a No Deal exit. Theresa seemed to have no plans at all.

It's still going to be chaotic because at 60 days out - or you could argue five months late - we STILL don't know what procedures and paperwork we will need. I'm supposed to be organising a test in Spain early next year but am just holding back booking until I know what's what.

That's what's ruining the country, the uncertainty.
Well, they have had 5 extra months to make the films........

Uncertainty, yes. Like leaving the UK mid Oct and returning in Nov after ‘its’ happened. I’m sure common sense will prevail!

At least most of us have a bit of a break after beginning of Nov before needing to cross the channel again, so time to get any new procedures, paperwork etc in place.

Off topic a tad- for French, Spanish and Portuguese tolls I’ve used the usual common ‘tag’, which is battery powered. It occurred the other day that the battery will not last forever, so I called the provider to ask if there would be any prior warning (hopefully not while stopped at a toll booth ). Turns out that there is a ‘use by’ date on the tag, after which it self destructs or something. Good job I checked, the date is 07/09/2019........
Old 25 Aug 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3924107)   #1672
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Well, they have had 5 extra months to make the films........

Uncertainty, yes. Like leaving the UK mid Oct and returning in Nov after ‘its’ happened. I’m sure common sense will prevail!

At least most of us have a bit of a break after beginning of Nov before needing to cross the channel again, so time to get any new procedures, paperwork etc in place.

Off topic a tad- for French, Spanish and Portuguese tolls I’ve used the usual common ‘tag’, which is battery powered. It occurred the other day that the battery will not last forever, so I called the provider to ask if there would be any prior warning (hopefully not while stopped at a toll booth ). Turns out that there is a ‘use by’ date on the tag, after which it self destructs or something. Good job I checked, the date is 07/09/2019........
Remember Baden-Powell
Old 25 Aug 2019, 10:47 (Ref:3924111)   #1673
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Scouting for boys?
Old 25 Aug 2019, 11:20 (Ref:3924113)   #1674
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
“You are always in a state of readiness in mind and body to do your duty”

Maybe not......
Old 25 Aug 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3924150)   #1675
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Remember the banksy mural at Dover? My goodness, whatever next.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-49464949