Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Jul 2019, 05:32 (Ref:3916252)   #51
Speedy400
Racer

Speedy400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was merely highlighting someone’s love affair with a certain driver
Old 7 Jul 2019, 07:01 (Ref:3916257)   #52
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a race! Water, fire, spills and thrills!
Old 7 Jul 2019, 07:13 (Ref:3916260)   #53
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, certainly a lot going on.

Townsville has turned it on this year, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 7 Jul 2019, 07:14 (Ref:3916261)   #54
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
After looking into my crystal ball and reading my tea leaves...I'm predicting a Mustang win in the next race...

Oh dear didn't predict that result..
So ends my career as a psycho.
Old 7 Jul 2019, 07:23 (Ref:3916265)   #55
M91
Rookie

M91 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridM91 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Oh dear didn't predict that result..
So ends my career as a psycho.
A Mustang still crossed the line first...
Old 7 Jul 2019, 07:54 (Ref:3916268)   #56
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I'm not sure Super 2 is much of a form guide this year either.
True
Old 7 Jul 2019, 07:57 (Ref:3916270)   #57
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy400 View Post
I was merely highlighting someone’s love affair with a certain driver
I like Todd but I don’t love him, he has certainly improved since being a perennial tail end Charlie In F3 . Not much luck today but overshadowed by the likes of DePasquale and Golding.
Old 7 Jul 2019, 08:25 (Ref:3916279)   #58
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Just proves what I have always said, you do not have to be a great driver to do well in Supercars, you just need a good, well set up , car.
One Sunday back in October 1998 might be proof of that...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 7 Jul 2019, 08:58 (Ref:3916283)   #59
champcarman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
One Sunday back in October 1998 might be proof of that...
It has always been the same in Supercars, nail the set up on the day and you can do the job.
Old 7 Jul 2019, 11:27 (Ref:3916293)   #60
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M91 View Post
A Mustang still crossed the line first...
Quote of the day goes to Mr van Gisbergen in the fox studio after the race - "even though I won, I still had to follow one of those buckets of crap across the line!"
Old 7 Jul 2019, 19:16 (Ref:3916366)   #61
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disappointing to see a time certain finish essentially under saftey car
Old 8 Jul 2019, 01:42 (Ref:3916422)   #62
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was wondering whether there might be more investigation into the BJR #8 fire yesterday... the siamesed fuel filler appeared to be leaking some Shell motion lotion before ever coupling onto the car... and not just a little bit.

The fuel filler (or their tyre changer from that side) usually wipes away excess spilled fuel with a rag that seems always to hand... but this was all over the ground, on the rear window/hatch of the car... then they start up n go... and whoofa... she's up like a skyrocket...

It a reason why the inhabitants of the pit garage proper are all wearing their fireproof pyjamas... and anyone that isnt probably shouldnt be allowed near the working front of the garage. But go look at media types and some team owners, and some other non-oily-bits touchers and there are many that should not be there...

The fire could have definitely been significantly worse...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Jul 2019, 02:08 (Ref:3916427)   #63
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Disappointing to see a time certain finish essentially under saftey car
Crompton mentioned it would be a "time certain" finish before the race even ******* started ?!?

The main event, one of the few free to air broadcasts, on QLD Govt coin and they cant even run a full race ??

WTF ?
Old 8 Jul 2019, 02:38 (Ref:3916434)   #64
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Was wondering whether there might be more investigation into the BJR #8 fire yesterday... the siamesed fuel filler appeared to be leaking some Shell motion lotion before ever coupling onto the car... and not just a little bit.

The fuel filler (or their tyre changer from that side) usually wipes away excess spilled fuel with a rag that seems always to hand... but this was all over the ground, on the rear window/hatch of the car... then they start up n go... and whoofa... she's up like a skyrocket...

It a reason why the inhabitants of the pit garage proper are all wearing their fireproof pyjamas... and anyone that isnt probably shouldnt be allowed near the working front of the garage. But go look at media types and some team owners, and some other non-oily-bits touchers and there are many that should not be there...

Surprised the person on the "dead man" lever didn't activate it to immediately shut off the flow of fuel. Also surprised the extinguishers and fire marshals didn't preemptively douse the then un-burnt fuel before dropping the car down with it's hot exhaust. (Such as the Kmart 2002 Bathurst fiasco for example)

Agree with you on your point about garage dwellers should be wearing fire-proof gear, no matter who or what they are in the garage. Although the pit reporters do wear fireproof suits during races, just in case being in pitlane they do get caught up in a fire situation.
Old 8 Jul 2019, 03:47 (Ref:3916441)   #65
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muznik View Post
Crompton mentioned it would be a "time certain" finish before the race even ******* started ?!?

The main event, one of the few free to air broadcasts, on QLD Govt coin and they cant even run a full race ??

WTF ?
No - he didn't "mention that it would be" - he said that it would be 70 laps OR the time-certain finish. Although I think that he suggested that the weather made time-certain more of a possibility.

Otherwise I'm with you. I really thought these examples of being too cute with the time-certain gap were gone. If the race had to be time certain for a specific time, then it should have started earlier to allow more leeway between the time-certain deadline and the estimated finish time.

Weird.
Old 8 Jul 2019, 04:08 (Ref:3916443)   #66
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Unless something dramatic has changed, I'd expect more investigation from Supercars and possibly from CAMS as well (team has already said they'll be doing that too). The fuel was bucketing out of the hose long before it was on the car - looked like the hose may have come off the coupling - not good. Apart from the fire risk, I guess it would also mean that the team didn't comply with the regulations of fuel fill for that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Surprised the person on the "dead man" lever didn't activate it to immediately shut off the flow of fuel. Also surprised the extinguishers and fire marshals didn't preemptively douse the then un-burnt fuel before dropping the car down with it's hot exhaust.
Agree completely re dead-man - that was my immediate reaction as it was happening - may have simply had a "human" moment and froze - it happens.
Also agree with fire suppressant but I don't think that the marshals or extinguisher people from the team had a chance to do it really - the car was dropped and gonski before there was an opportunity.

The competitive juices were flowing and it's bloody hard for a team to switch from competitive to safety mode quickly in that situation - the car should probably have been left in the air, suppression taken place on top of the fuel and when clear, the car dropped and sent but it's easy to say that on Monday with hindsight - at the time, a tough call.

Non-firesuit people at the front of the garage during refuelling stops is an issue though and needs to be looked at - it may need some kind of further identification within the garage to manage it but definitely something to look at.
Old 9 Jul 2019, 09:53 (Ref:3916659)   #67
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder if RD, has invoiced BJR for Dutton’s time and use of the 888 fire extinguisher?
Old 9 Jul 2019, 11:27 (Ref:3916678)   #68
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Wonder if RD, has invoiced BJR for Dutton’s time and use of the 888 fire extinguisher?
With the amount of crashes BJR have had. They'd be 888's best customer.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Jul 2019, 19:23 (Ref:3916733)   #69
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Non-firesuit people at the front of the garage during refuelling stops is an issue though and needs to be looked at - it may need some kind of further identification within the garage to manage it but definitely something to look at.
Worse when there are children there.

Is it me. or did there seem to be a lack of extinguishers coming from behind the fuel hose side of the garage, or was the delay because the pin was still in ? 4k replay?

As others have mention, shame a preemptive blast of AFFF was laid down.
Old 9 Jul 2019, 20:28 (Ref:3916742)   #70
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Is it me. or did there seem to be a lack of extinguishers coming from behind the fuel hose side of the garage, or was the delay because the pin was still in ? 4k replay?
The team extinguisher person was in there very quickly - footage showed a fire marshal taking longer as there seemed to be a bit of a struggle getting the pin out. In reality not much delay at all & no criticism of the marshal(s) - they're positioned at various points in pit lane and would have needed to cover more ground to get to the car than the team extinguisher person who is already right there.
Old 11 Jul 2019, 06:34 (Ref:3916961)   #71
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Investigation confirmed here with CAMS, Supercars and BJR all part of the process. Started interviews etc on Sunday after the race.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3917345)   #72
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
No - he didn't "mention that it would be" - he said that it would be 70 laps OR the time-certain finish. Although I think that he suggested that the weather made time-certain more of a possibility.

Otherwise I'm with you. I really thought these examples of being too cute with the time-certain gap were gone. If the race had to be time certain for a specific time, then it should have started earlier to allow more leeway between the time-certain deadline and the estimated finish time.

Weird.
I thought there was a change in policy or whatever, to start races earlier if the threat of substantial rain was reasonable, after the GC600 debacle last year. Obviously not, because they just did exactly the same thing here. This lot make slow learners look like brain surgeons.............
Old 14 Jul 2019, 00:10 (Ref:3917429)   #73
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
I thought there was a change in policy or whatever, to start races earlier if the threat of substantial rain was reasonable, after the GC600 debacle last year. Obviously not, because they just did exactly the same thing here. This lot make slow learners look like brain surgeons.............
Yep, this was announced.