Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Aug 2004, 07:09 (Ref:1067801)   #1
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Hungaroring Vs. A1-Ring

IMO, the FIA should have cut Hungary instead of Austria. The A1-Ring at least has provided a few decent races in the past, where overtaking is possible. Hungary has been on the calender far too long IMO and it is a rare race I do not look forward to at the beginning of the season. Yesterday's race just cemented that IMO. I say Hungary out for 2005, Austria and Turkey in. What do you think?
Old 16 Aug 2004, 07:28 (Ref:1067820)   #2
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree, but i think the reason for removing the A1 Ring from this year's calandar was not due to the actual racing, like Spa.

The A1 Ring is a very good track, it may be a right angle-hairpin-hairpin kind of track - but it made for good racing, and the scenery was great.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 09:20 (Ref:1067886)   #3
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hungaroring just got a contract till 2011. It was announced before the race. the prime minister of Hungary was negotiating with Bernie on the issue. He said that the contract is very lucrative for both parties.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 09:41 (Ref:1067908)   #4
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember passing at the A1 ring.... last lap of 2002 I think it was - opps!

Umm, but seriosly I missed most of the Hungaroring race after falling asleep last night, not long after the Massa vs Pantano dice.... I'm told that not much happened after that anyway, although I do remember some pictures of refuelling hose, which much have been considered more exciting than whatever was happening on the track at the time.

Not sure how it helps Bernie, to have the TV viewers sleep through one race a year until 2011... I'd have thought the sponsorship only really works when the viewers are awake.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 13:10 (Ref:1068111)   #5
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The A1 ring nearly always gave a good race unlike the Hungaroring which nearly alway's doesn't. Let's be under no illusion though, Austria was dropped for financial reasons and nothing more. Hungary makes Bernie more money, end of story
Old 16 Aug 2004, 13:25 (Ref:1068134)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Austria was seen as beign too close to Germany to be viable (a shame, as it produces better raaces than the Nurburgring), whereasHungary is the only Eastern European option, which counts for a lot. It's a sad situation. A lot of people udner-rated the A1 Ring, but it produced a lot of action.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 13:41 (Ref:1068146)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The crowd looked pretty thin yesterday, and those poor souls that were there, looked rightly bored to tears. Imagine paying for that? That would hurt.

Also, I'm quite sure that many TV's were turned off, so how is this "race", and I use that term lightly, a money maker?

Danica Patrick
Old 16 Aug 2004, 14:18 (Ref:1068170)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The race is a money maker because the organisers have a contract to pay millions for the right to stage a Grand Prix.

And the A1-ring does indeed offer much better racing than the Hungaroring.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 15:46 (Ref:1068278)   #9
Attila
Racer

The Hungaroring is the brainchild of Bernie. Back in the communist era, Bernie wanted an "Esternblock" race and only Hungary wanted to invest some money. The track design was given by Bernie so it is his track. I remember that an English desing team came to Hungary and they were in charge of Hungaroring. A friend of mine was the translator of this team that is how I know that. Also, Bernie is always wellcomed in Hungary, whenever he comes the actual prime minister is always ready to meet with him. He gets the whole diplomatic procedure as would the head of any foreign state get. Maybe he likes that... Anyway as a Hungarian I see no reason for the Hungarian GP at all, the track is terrible, we are EU now, so tobacco advertising won't be allowed. I just don't understand the situation...
Old 16 Aug 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1068329)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A1-Ring produced some fantastic racing and the highlights of the season.

The Hungaroring produces...
Old 16 Aug 2004, 16:38 (Ref:1068332)   #11
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The biggest problem with the A1 ring is that it has a tobacco ban on it. The Hungaroring does not. All about the $$$
Old 17 Aug 2004, 04:55 (Ref:1068864)   #12
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Well that says it all then, doesn't it?
Old 17 Aug 2004, 07:31 (Ref:1068929)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 07:54 (Ref:1068943)   #14
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As long as we cannot have a Grand Prix in Eastern Europe, I think we should at least have one in the Eastern part of Central Europe.
So that should be either Hungary or Czech Republic.

Hungary looks like a decent choice to me.

---

If Hungary were to be dropped, it should be replaced by a race somewhere in Africa.
And South America needs (at least) a second race, of course.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 08:10 (Ref:1068960)   #15
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brno .. much better track .. at least for bikes

Ciao Marco
Old 17 Aug 2004, 08:28 (Ref:1068982)   #16
Attila
Racer

Dani I have been to the Brno track and I am sure it would not be wide enough and good enough for a good F1 race. It would be another Hungaroring. I think that Slovakia, Hungary and Austria should build a track on the border of the three countries :-). The cost would be less and all countries would have their own GP.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 22:23 (Ref:1069872)   #17
Panzer
Racer

Panzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the A1 Ring is a better race track.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 10:43 (Ref:1072514)   #18
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Erm....Adelaide? Not quite Eastern European, but a damn good track IMO!!!
Old 20 Aug 2004, 11:00 (Ref:1072533)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brno isn't really suited to car racing, although it's fantastic with bikes.

It's a shame Bernie puts his own greed and scheming above providing the best racetracks he can. There's no doubt that Austria was better than several remaining tracks, and that Hungary is the worst of the lot.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 11:03 (Ref:1072536)   #20
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Hungary will host Bernie Ecclestone's grand prix circus for at least seven more years, Prime Minister Peter Medgyessy revealed. He said after last Sunday's Formula One race at the Hungaroring, 19kms north of Budapest, that a new agreement has been signed. Medgyessy said Ecclestone signed a five-year extension to the current contract, which guaranteed a race until 2006, on Sunday.

Media reports claimed the government contribution to this year's Hungarian Grand Prix was $13 million, down on 2003's $15 million. News of Hungary's contract extension is unlikely to go down well with the Formula One fraternity who frowned on a 'boring' race.

London's 'The Times' headlined a story on Sunday evening as claiming Michael Schumacher left F1 'yawning' near Budapest. "Sunday's race sounded a thousand alarm bells," added the Independent, "but ... only those outside (F1) can hear them."

Circuit spokesman Sandor David claimed 160,000 spectators, about the same as last year, attended last weekend's grand prix event. The twisty Hungaroring is situated at Mogyorod.

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Aug 2004, 11:06 (Ref:1072546)   #21
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personally i dont mind the track okay its one of the most boring but it still chucks a few suprises at us ..... 97 hill nearly won.
last year MS being lapped :O
okay not rich in history but i think it should stop untill another eastern european country can host ...... or maybe if russia can get a gp but untill then i think it should stay. budapest is a nice city, from what i hear anyway and it welcomes F1 or so i hear.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1072704)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Hungaroring shouldn't have been built they should of raced at the street circuit they where planning in Buda-pest, but I understand it was to dangerous!
Old 20 Aug 2004, 13:42 (Ref:1072728)   #23
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who designed the Hungaroring? The change they made to the first corner has helped from an overtaking perspective, but clearly not by enough.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 13:51 (Ref:1072741)   #24
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was only breifly designed after the canclation of the proposed street circuit. It had to be under 3 miles long had to have elavation changes ang good viewing shame the guy who designed it didn't originaly design any overtaking areas, anyway the new track is much better but still could have some better corners and straight-a-ways.