Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2020, 01:46 (Ref:3992798)   #251
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Hope they delay the 18s, thought the teams said everything in the suspension had to be replaced for them?
Their introduction is tied to the new technical regulations. So current wheels next year and 18 inch in 2022.

Richard
Old 4 Aug 2020, 04:26 (Ref:3992806)   #252
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Is it really? I can think of no example of this. I suppose Italy made a problem for Williams for a bit after a Senna. Really is the exception.
Another one that involved Italy (and was also an exception) was with Lotus after the Rindt fatal in 1970 .... Lotus were entered at Monza in 1971/2 under the World Wide Racing moniker, due to legal wranglings between Chapman /Lotus with the Italian authorities, before entering as JPS in 1973.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 08:33 (Ref:3992835)   #253
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Another one that involved Italy (and was also an exception) was with Lotus after the Rindt fatal in 1970 .... Lotus were entered at Monza in 1971/2 under the World Wide Racing moniker, due to legal wranglings between Chapman /Lotus with the Italian authorities, before entering as JPS in 1973.
Italy made Clark's life a misery after the Monza 1961 crash Von Tripps moved over on him and caused his own death and that of a number of spectators.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 08:37 (Ref:3992836)   #254
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
No downforce at all (see avatar). So it is a bit of a corner. I caught it - take that Kvyat - but it was more by luck than judgement and there was a definite moment where I thought I was going to look like a right Charlie. It was first session of the day, cold and, in attempt to sound like an F1 driver, the tyres weren’t up to temperature

From a Pirelli perspective that puncture is one I’d be more worried about.

Next year there are new 18 inch wheels and tyres. So things will probably change again. What have they been asked to do?

Actually, is it next year, or the year after, now everything is frozen?
You own it and repair it and pay for it Adam. Huge incentive to keep it out of the fence!
Great save there on the circuit at that speed though!
Kvyat not so much! Although to be fair to him, he looked gutted.

Agree with you about the Pirelli concerns represented here, be really hard to drive the tyres to the limit after this type of interest.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 08:47 (Ref:3992838)   #255
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
From a Pirelli perspective that puncture is one I’d be more worried about.
I agree that Kvyat's puncture is more worrying from an external viewpoint. I think there is a risk of multiplying the incident when it is considered alongside the other failures though.

In isolation, it was a single failure that was totally unrelated to the other failures late on. Therefore it should be viewed in isolation. A few early theories (including AlphaTauri themselves) are working on the fact that Kvyat was distracted slightly by making in-car adjustments, and clipped a kerb at an unusual angle. That caused a puncture, which led to the accident.

It should also be remembered that there is a difference between:
a) A tyre failure due to wear.
b) A tyre failure due to wear and damage.
c) A tyre puncture.
d) A tyre failure with no obvious cause.

The tyre failures late on seem to be a result of b).

Kvyat's is either c) or d). If c), it's unfortunately a sporting incident. If d) that is when concerns should be raised.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 09:03 (Ref:3992841)   #256
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
200 posts about a flat tyre....
Old 4 Aug 2020, 09:34 (Ref:3992849)   #257
wnut
Veteran

I see the start was absolutely perfect, everyone was stopped, nobody crept or anticipated it, did somebody read the boys the riot act in the driver's briefing?
Old 4 Aug 2020, 10:15 (Ref:3992859)   #258
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe they were all extra cautious this time, so forums like these wouldn’t jump on them
Old 4 Aug 2020, 11:42 (Ref:3992873)   #259
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I see the start was absolutely perfect, everyone was stopped, nobody crept or anticipated it, did somebody read the boys the riot act in the driver's briefing?
Mr Masi read out your post about Bottas
Old 4 Aug 2020, 11:49 (Ref:3992875)   #260
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've yet to watch the second half of the race, having been in orange at Donington for the BTCC meeting at the weekend, but I have watched far enough to have seen Kvyat hit the wall.

Having seen others hit that wall (in other classes of racing, at a variety of speeds, and with a variety of outcomes which weren't all good) it is very striking that he simply swore a bit, got out, tidied up and walked away. It's not so long ago that would potentially have ended his career.

I know that a huge number of factors come into play with impacts like that, but I couldn't help thinking as he side-swiped the cameraman out of the way walking back along the wall that he was a very, very lucky boy.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 11:55 (Ref:3992879)   #261
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I've yet to watch the second half of the race, having been in orange at Donington for the BTCC meeting at the weekend, but I have watched far enough to have seen Kvyat hit the wall.

Having seen others hit that wall (in other classes of racing, at a variety of speeds, and with a variety of outcomes which weren't all good) it is very striking that he simply swore a bit, got out, tidied up and walked away. It's not so long ago that would potentially have ended his career.

I know that a huge number of factors come into play with impacts like that, but I couldn't help thinking as he side-swiped the cameraman out of the way walking back along the wall that he was a very, very lucky boy.
Thought that too, if it had been 1970, the accident would have looked like that of poor Siffert.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 13:49 (Ref:3992915)   #262
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
As they said on the commentary, that’s not usually a place to go off. Can’t remember the last one to go off there like that
Old 4 Aug 2020, 14:15 (Ref:3992927)   #263
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From experience if you do get it wrong there you usually finish up on the other side of the track. IMO the kerbs there are pretty benign and the previous kerb was the left-hander before Maggots so the only kerb that could have caused the damage before then had to be Copse.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 14:45 (Ref:3992937)   #264
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

During the race David Coulthard thought the tyre had come off the rim and that's what it looks like in that series of pictures.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 14:49 (Ref:3992941)   #265
S griffin
Veteran

British Grand Prix 2020: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 4

It’s funny, but I don’t seem to remember them showing the crash from that onboard camera during the coverage?
Old 4 Aug 2020, 15:00 (Ref:3992945)   #266
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't recall seeing it previously.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 18:21 (Ref:3992980)   #267
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, it's the first time I've seen it.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 18:25 (Ref:3992983)   #268
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It’s funny, but I don’t seem to remember them showing the crash from that onboard camera during the coverage?
The Kvyat crash? I don't think the did. They showed the forward onboard view a few times. I did my own slow-motion and tried to watch for anything Kvyat might have done to triggered it and couldn't see any. Whoever was commenting at that time was speculating it was a rear tire deflation. It was a very abrupt spin.

Richard
Old 4 Aug 2020, 20:17 (Ref:3993011)   #269
S griffin
Veteran

Thought they didn’t show it from the rear facing camera, especially as I was hoping they would show it to confirm it was a puncture.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 21:56 (Ref:3993026)   #270
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pirelli have reported on their investigation into the punctures at the end of the British GP more or less saying that the tyres were worn out because of the long stint length, the cars being faster and Silverstone is hard on tyres. No mention of punctures due to debris.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...-tyre-failures

The next GP is going to feature softer tyres that should mean at least 2 pit stops.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 22:26 (Ref:3993029)   #271
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Pirelli have reported on their investigation into the punctures at the end of the British GP more or less saying that the tyres were worn out because of the long stint length, the cars being faster and Silverstone is hard on tyres. No mention of punctures due to debris.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...-tyre-failures

The next GP is going to feature softer tyres that should mean at least 2 pit stops.
Nothing though on what caused Kvyat's right rear tyre to fail.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 23:00 (Ref:3993033)   #272
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Nothing though on what caused Kvyat's right rear tyre to fail.
The article says it was a puncture.

Richard
Old 4 Aug 2020, 23:04 (Ref:3993034)   #273
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Richard
But what caused the puncture and it was very sudden?
Old 4 Aug 2020, 23:55 (Ref:3993037)   #274
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Richard
Pirelli claims it is a puncture every time, their last lot of carcass failures they claimed were punctures until they just could not make it fit anymore.

Air out of tyre equals puncture in the Pirelli handbook.

Besides Pirelli determined the stint lengths for the rest of the tyres, ergo the failures are at their door.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 00:26 (Ref:3993043)   #275
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Yup, because Lewis was so much faster on the preferred race tires than Valteri was today. Or did you not watch any part of practice and the first 2 rounds of quali?
And?