Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jul 2020, 14:47 (Ref:3991400)   #496
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
You have losts me somewhere in your logic...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I think chilli’s point is that it relatively better for Ferrari if they only have one thing to concentrate on! Or rather you takeaway Merc’s advantage of being able to do more than one thing at once!

Whatever, Ferrari should treat it at an opportunity.

You are probably right though, Merc will have an advantage anyway. Less that they are better at the moment, more that they are just better.
sorry for the delayed response and looking back, for a poorly thought out post.

my underlying premise was much as Adam suggested but clearly written with little thought put into it so will try to expand after the fact.

basically i was just thinking along the lines of them having more time to develop, restructure, new hires etc and, if all goes well, approach 2022 from a stronger position. i believe there is no development freeze for the 2022 chassis and also i am assuming, could be wrong, that until the new concorde agreement is signed they are free to spend as they see fit until then?

if so, then there may be an inherent advantage in shifting to 2022 early.

while it still feels like the start of the season, it is typically around now/summer break where a team that has a poor chassis starts looking to shift development to the following season but in this case the next chassis season is 2022. indeed F1 chassis tend to be more evolutions rather than revolutions, but with new regs coming maybe Ferrari can find a way to take the lead for the next development cycle.

admittedly though, i was just thinking about the chassis side and not the engine.

Quote:
Hopefully they can turn things around for 2022. And while they are likely focused on 2022, I think it's unrealistic to think they are not trying to address issues in the 2020/21 platform.
a fair point. dont think i can dance around that one!
Old 29 Jul 2020, 15:05 (Ref:3991405)   #497
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Why would Ferrari agree to the freeze? While there might be a lot of potential reasons, I think it is due to what was going on in the world and in particularly Italy at the time the decision was made. I think the decision was made mid-March. Look at Covid19 data from that time period.

Italy had just days earlier went into total lockdown. Their peak was still weeks away (which they didn't know). It may be more clear now, but I suspect Ferrari's perspective is that any potential for 2020 development let alone 2021 development work was lost or seriously curtailed. However as Italy looked worse than just about everyone else other than China, other teams could potentially continue to do development work.

For Ferrari it may have been less about "giving up development time" (as it was gone for them from their perspective) than it was to deny that time for others.

Hopefully they can turn things around for 2022. And while they are likely focused on 2022, I think it's unrealistic to think they are not trying to address issues in the 2020/21 platform.

Richard
So effectively, they got caught out by Covid-19. Given the time frame that would make sense.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 22:49 (Ref:3991523)   #498
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Thank you Richard, your post has the ring of truth to it.

Basically overreacted to a bad situation they found themselves in, panicked, and shot themselves in the foot, much like their pit strategies.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 05:22 (Ref:3991542)   #499
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
And once panic sets n everything seems to go wrong, in order to steady the ship Ferrari need a period of stability and it appears they are not going to have that
Old 30 Jul 2020, 08:43 (Ref:3991572)   #500
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The other longer term issue Ferrari has is that the cost cap will hit them harder than most when they most need to spend their way out of trouble. They will have to learn how to spend effectively to get the best bang for their buck.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 03:02 (Ref:3993049)   #501
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There have been some changes at Ferrari since Sunday's Brtish GP, with Binotto remaining as team principal but no longer technical director.

https://www.grandprix.com/news/binot...al-boss-2.html
Old 5 Aug 2020, 08:35 (Ref:3993069)   #502
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There have been some changes at Ferrari since Sunday's Brtish GP, with Binotto remaining as team principal but no longer technical director.

https://www.grandprix.com/news/binot...al-boss-2.html
It would only be a guess on my part but I suspect the Ferrari have systemic problems much like McLaren had pre Zac Brown. McLaren took an axe to their problems and from all reports ripped the whole thing apart, Ferrari are nibbling at the edges and if they expect a result from one or two position changes I wish them luck. It would not be a big leap to think this is a change brought on by desperation and the Italian media doing their usual lynch mob act and if Binotto is still there at the end of the year he will have defied the natural order of things in Maranello. Sad really as he is obviously a man whose life revolves around Ferrari but he is obviously not in a good place and should retreat into the back ground and do what he does best.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 15:16 (Ref:3993159)   #503
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
It's easier for Binotto to concentrate on one thing, instead of having his fingers in more than one pies, especially the way the team are at the moment
Old 5 Aug 2020, 23:21 (Ref:3993226)   #504
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Following his firing, are Ferrari deliberately screwing over Vettel to make Leclerc look good?

Alternatively, are they in such a mess that they just can't run two cars properly at the moment?

Vettel had technical problems in all three of the practice sessions.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 23:22 (Ref:3993227)   #505
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Never assume malice when it can be attributed to incompetence.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 23:36 (Ref:3993228)   #506
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Never assume malice when it can be attributed to incompetence.
Would not be good for Binotto if Vettel outclasses Leclerc though, would it?
Old 6 Aug 2020, 00:45 (Ref:3993232)   #507
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
No, as Vettel has committed plenty of errors on track to not need something so stupid.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 01:06 (Ref:3993235)   #508
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the outside looking in I doubt that Binotto is a good TP, he has outwardly at least not got the cool, calm, control of things that ZB or Toto for instance appear to have. You will never see ether of those looking more than a bit puzzled when things don't go to plan. Ferrari have confusion built into their DNA for some reason. Another team who have management skill problems are Renault & HAAS, I call their style management by terror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's easier for Binotto to concentrate on one thing, instead of having his fingers in more than one pies, especially the way the team are at the moment
Old 6 Aug 2020, 01:12 (Ref:3993236)   #509
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
No, as Vettel has committed plenty of errors on track to not need something so stupid.
Agree. While Vettel has had some bad luck, he is making enough of his own. Ferrari has no reason to try to torpedo Vettel. It guess it is possible that Vettel may become a new man and crush Leclerc, but I just don't see it happening. At best, I see both of them doing as good as the car and allow. And that would not change things in the end (with respect to Vettel or Leclerc's career at Ferrari). What could happen is Leclerc potentially creating his own bad luck at the same time that Vettel's improves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's also potentially true that when things are not going well, Binotto may have welcomed the change.

Richard
Old 6 Aug 2020, 09:04 (Ref:3993276)   #510
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
"It would suit party A" isn't really enough for me to start claiming Ferrari are sabotaging their own team. Especially when the same thing can be explained through incompetence. Which Ferrari have displayed many times recently.