Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Feb 2004, 07:34 (Ref:885886)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan: Schumy Should Retire

Well, an enticement that Michael Schumacher should quit F1 if doesn’t win his seventh title this year, was came from Eddie Jordan.

Jordan, who gave Schumacher his first F1 drive, believes he will be beaten by Montoya.

http://www.itv-f1.com/news/news_story/19872
Old 26 Feb 2004, 07:38 (Ref:885890)   #2
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Jordan: Schumy Should Retire

Errr, he also boldy suggested that Ron Dennis could also retire at the end of the season.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 09:17 (Ref:885970)   #3
oziengineer
Racer

oziengineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know why he would surgest Ronnie retiring, he's a good boss. Still, I would like to see jordan's prediction of JPM kicking schumi coming into fruition, it's time for a new champ.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 09:18 (Ref:885972)   #4
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think eddie would prefer everyone to retire, then he will have a chance.
I'd love to see TGF retire, but i dont see why he should when he can still race well.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 09:40 (Ref:886002)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
He shouldn't retire, he should go back to Jordan for a season.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 10:03 (Ref:886023)   #6
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by steve_r
He shouldn't retire, he should go back to Jordan for a season.
isn't that like retiring?
Old 26 Feb 2004, 10:34 (Ref:886053)   #7
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well sort of. Eddie could pull off the coup of the universe and have MS drive for him for a couple of years, for free!!!

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 26 Feb 2004, 12:06 (Ref:886150)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Isn't Eddie full of helpful advice?
Old 26 Feb 2004, 16:29 (Ref:886424)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From a performance basis, if MS is to retire, he'd have to queue up behind 19 drivers who ought to go before him.

I'd like to see a field of the best drivers available, not having a group of wannabes with top drivers "adviced" to quit just because they are too good and win too much.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 18:09 (Ref:886514)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Michael were to retire, and not run in 2004, wouldn't that just cheapen the WDC and the driver who wins it?

I mean you want to go out and beat the best, don't you? If say Kimi took it, wouldn't we forever say "well, Kimi's good, but who did he beat?" Or "yeah, Kimi's good, but he didn't beat Michael". Get my drift?

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Feb 2004, 18:43 (Ref:886539)   #11
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Eddie Jordan, god bless him... what a kidder...
Old 26 Feb 2004, 18:56 (Ref:886551)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's the big deal? Eddie is saying more or less the same as anyone else who cares to offer an opinion - if Michael doesn't win his 7th title this year he should retire at the end of 2004. He's not suggesting he should go now. And he also says whoever beats Michael will win the WDC, which means he believes Michael will be no worse than 2nd best.

Is it really such a slow story day only a week before kick-off?!
Old 26 Feb 2004, 19:00 (Ref:886558)   #13
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya will beat Michael this year. Then he [MS] can go.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 19:10 (Ref:886573)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's more likely to retire if he does win the title than if he doesn't.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 19:39 (Ref:886606)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Theres no way that Ron Dennis will retire, he wants to enjoy the benefit of Paragon for a couple of years before he goes anywhere.

EJ's entitled to his opinion, of course, as is everyone else. Wether he should or not is irrelevant, imo, he will retire, 7th WDC or not
Old 26 Feb 2004, 20:45 (Ref:886676)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with kicking-bgack on this one....if he loses the title he's very likely going to come back and reclaim it. We know how motivated he still is after four in a row....imagine it if he has to reclaim the crown.

Although I think he should retire pretty soon.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 21:35 (Ref:886744)   #17
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
I'd like to see a field of the best drivers available, not having a group of wannabes with top drivers "adviced" to quit just because they are too good and win too much.
Absolutely agree!

Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
If Michael were to retire, and not run in 2004, wouldn't that just cheapen the WDC and the driver who wins it?

I mean you want to go out and beat the best, don't you? If say Kimi took it, wouldn't we forever say "well, Kimi's good, but who did he beat?" Or "yeah, Kimi's good, but he didn't beat Michael". Get my drift?
I don't think it would cheapen the world title - afterall, someone has to fill the void when 'the top' guy of any period goes. It's very rare for the top drivers to cross over for very long; I'm thinking Moss-Clark, Clark-Stewart, Stewart-Lauda and, of course Senna-Schumacher. Whilst we've missed some great battles, over time, the lack of them doesn't take anything away from the second-named driver in each of those pairs.

I admire Schuey greatly and, for his sake, hope that he doesn't go on too long. I was kind of hoping, from that point of view (as opposed to my agreeing with GTR above), he would retire last year. Only, he couldn't let that eighth place at Suzuka stand as his last GP.

I agree that he is more likely to retire if he wins this year, unless he gets beaten by Rubens, because he said he'd quit if that happened.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 02:44 (Ref:886932)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, if the new comers really want to ink their footings in F1, the best chance had already passed last year. Sure,it'd be impressive if someone young won this year, but unless they beat a "MS in a better car", it really won't mean much more than winning without MS around.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 05:38 (Ref:886988)   #19
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
Montoya will beat Michael this year. Then he [MS] can go.
Did'nt you say that last year (and the year before)?

As for EJ, those with results like his should probably hide in the shadows.

In 99, MS was in a hospital bed, while one of EJ's was making a run at the WDC. Michael (and his team) have won every championship since. What has Jordan done apart from slip from this wonderful position right down into Minardi hunting ground?

Eddie, Shhhh, its getting embarrassing now.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 09:29 (Ref:887104)   #20
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
isn't that like retiring?
Well, it's for people who want to end their careers either way.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 11:56 (Ref:887236)   #21
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by krt917

I don't think it would cheapen the world title - afterall, someone has to fill the void when 'the top' guy of any period goes. It's very rare for the top drivers to cross over for very long; I'm thinking Moss-Clark, Clark-Stewart, Stewart-Lauda and, of course Senna-Schumacher. Whilst we've missed some great battles, over time, the lack of them doesn't take anything away from the second-named driver in each of those pairs.
Believe me, I'm not having a go...but I dont recall Moss ever being the top dog (even by his own admission) and what happened to Brabham, Piquet and Prost? I'm sure they had a few successes in between that lot.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 14:44 (Ref:887387)   #22
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by krt917

I don't think it would cheapen the world title - afterall, someone has to fill the void when 'the top' guy of any period goes.
I agree with you krt917, that somebody always has to fill the void, and maybe cheapen is the wrong word, but I have believe that if Michael were to say I'm retiring right now, and Kimi or JPM won the title, there would forever be questions, asking if these guys are really the best, because they never beat Schummy.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 15:30 (Ref:887421)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

hahah..

EVEN IF (a BIG if) Kimi or JPM win the title this year, there will still be questions if they are the best. Admit it, one championship win over MS means almost little.

Look, JV/Mika/DH all won championships in Michael's era, but there's no doubt MS is better than them all. The same thing would happen even if Kimi/JPM did win this year.

It's a championship that's for Ferrari (or in particular BS) to lose.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 15:45 (Ref:887430)   #24
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by deeks6
Believe me, I'm not having a go...but I dont recall Moss ever being the top dog (even by his own admission) and what happened to Brabham, Piquet and Prost? I'm sure they had a few successes in between that lot.
If you read contemporary accounts and comments by drivers of the time, then you'll see that Moss was considered the benchmark of his era, once Fangio had retired. Even Brabham said so!

I take your point about Piquet and Prost. I left them out because they did get to race each other, and Mansell, and Senna, so I didn't consider them as examples who had 'missed' a great fight - they were all in it! (Of course, you could say they missed Villeneuve....). I as trying to pick out drivers who were, almost without debate, considered the best of their particular era. Some eras are more difficult to pin down in this way than others!

Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I agree with you krt917, that somebody always has to fill the void, and maybe cheapen is the wrong word, but I have believe that if Michael were to say I'm retiring right now, and Kimi or JPM won the title, there would forever be questions, asking if these guys are really the best, because they never beat Schummy.
I agree!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
hahah..

EVEN IF (a BIG if) Kimi or JPM win the title this year, there will still be questions if they are the best. Admit it, one championship win over MS means almost little.
Also agree, though - over time - the rest of their careers could show that they were, or nearly were as great as Schuey, in the same way that MS has proved himself despite Ayrton's absence.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 17:41 (Ref:887545)   #25
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
maybe Ej should retire aswell..