Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 15 Jun 2020, 15:51 (Ref:3982201)   #1851
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
No Max. I have just had an e mail from Silverstone saying my test day has been cancelled . That’s fine but I don’t have a test day booked with them . Brands this Friday and also following Friday .
Old 15 Jun 2020, 16:14 (Ref:3982208)   #1852
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
One of my friends who should have been exhibiting at the Revival is reporting that it has been cancelled. I can't see anything on Google, anyone else heard anything?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Got an Email this afternoon with " Goodwood Motorsport Update " . Which I am guessing might be that info , but it has come out all jumbled up , so cannot be sure . Will try to check it to see if is a cancellation .

Ain,t technology wonderful ?????
Old 15 Jun 2020, 16:40 (Ref:3982209)   #1853
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Donington had a Bike track day today.

Car track days tomorrow and Wednesday.

Car Testing Thursday and Friday.

Bike Track days Saturday and Sunday.
Old 15 Jun 2020, 17:39 (Ref:3982219)   #1854
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Got an Email this afternoon with " Goodwood Motorsport Update " . Which I am guessing might be that info , but it has come out all jumbled up , so cannot be sure . Will try to check it to see if is a cancellation .

Ain,t technology wonderful ?????

Checked back from that Email & the word I have is that the Revival has been cancelled . But best to check other sources before making any definite plans .
Old 15 Jun 2020, 17:53 (Ref:3982221)   #1855
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't had any info and the website still shows it going ahead. But I suspect the uncertainty of foreign travel has got in the way.
Old 15 Jun 2020, 18:45 (Ref:3982227)   #1856
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My friend Jerry runs Greycar, purveyors of classic driving clothing

Old 15 Jun 2020, 18:48 (Ref:3982229)   #1857
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
No Max. I have just had an e mail from Silverstone saying my test day has been cancelled . That’s fine but I don’t have a test day booked with them . Brands this Friday and also following Friday .
I don't know about you Iain but I've never been busier. I drove 1000 miles around the country last week, this week/weekend I've another four days booked at three circuits. Long may it last!

Old 16 Jun 2020, 15:30 (Ref:3982341)   #1858
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know about you Iain but I've never been busier. I drove 1000 miles around the country last week, this week/weekend I've another four days booked at three circuits. Long may it last!

I'm with you on the long may it last.

Last Wednesday a car trackday, Sunday was bikes, tomorrow BSB bikes, then Friday & Sunday bike trackdays and so it goes on, normality is returning to this part of the East Midlands I'm happy to say.
Old 16 Jun 2020, 16:01 (Ref:3982346)   #1859
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Revival and FOS officially cancelled, just received email confirmation, sadly.
Old 16 Jun 2020, 16:54 (Ref:3982351)   #1860
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Goodwood Revival and FOS officially cancelled, just received email confirmation, sadly.
Along with an appeal for money
Old 16 Jun 2020, 17:00 (Ref:3982354)   #1861
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.goodwood.com/motorsport/goodwood-revival/
Old 16 Jun 2020, 17:08 (Ref:3982356)   #1862
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm afraid any such appeal will fall on deaf ears as far as I'm concerned. As an original supporter of the Goodwood Supporters’ Association (GSA) some 25 years ago we were given to understand that in being part of this group to initiate the reintroduction of racing, certain benefits would ensue. I attended several meetings at the time and I still have a GSA polo shirt but sad to say no benefits were ever forthcoming. Much as I love Goodwood, IMHO this is just another fund raising scheme with no dividend.
Old 16 Jun 2020, 17:16 (Ref:3982357)   #1863
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote from GW email -

"We count on our headline events to generate all of our operating profit, and their absence has left us with millions in overheads to pay and no income since March,"

Millions in overheads ???
Old 16 Jun 2020, 17:38 (Ref:3982361)   #1864
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I'm afraid any such appeal will fall on deaf ears as far as I'm concerned. As an original supporter of the Goodwood Supporters’ Association (GSA) some 25 years ago we were given to understand that in being part of this group to initiate the reintroduction of racing, certain benefits would ensue. I attended several meetings at the time and I still have a GSA polo shirt but sad to say no benefits were ever forthcoming. Much as I love Goodwood, IMHO this is just another fund raising scheme with no dividend.
I'm much the same, I joined up @ the beginning but got no benefits at all, so lost interest.
Old 16 Jun 2020, 17:50 (Ref:3982363)   #1865
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Quote from GW email -

"We count on our headline events to generate all of our operating profit, and their absence has left us with millions in overheads to pay and no income since March,"

Millions in overheads ???
Have you seen the duke's wine cellar?
Old 16 Jun 2020, 18:03 (Ref:3982365)   #1866
midgetman
Veteran

Rich as Croesus, the most expensive race meetings on the planet...nah I think there are worthier causes.

Old 17 Jun 2020, 00:59 (Ref:3982393)   #1867
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Rich as Croesus, the most expensive race meetings on the planet...nah I think there are worthier causes.

Quite!
My first reaction was 'what an effing cheek'.
My second was - are there really people out there daft enough to fall for it?
Old 17 Jun 2020, 08:50 (Ref:3982427)   #1868
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Is it a joke or a brand new version of Robin Hood you have here?
Old 17 Jun 2020, 16:46 (Ref:3982505)   #1869
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It's not in the least bit surprising is it.
Old 17 Jun 2020, 18:50 (Ref:3982525)   #1870
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm prepared to accept there is a good reason but why have the Goodwood 2020 events, part of an annual pattern, been "moved" to 2021?

Does that mean that they will be running both events twice in 2021 as far as current plans are concerned?
Old 17 Jun 2020, 19:03 (Ref:3982528)   #1871
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I'm prepared to accept there is a good reason but why have the Goodwood 2020 events, part of an annual pattern, been "moved" to 2021?

Does that mean that they will be running both events twice in 2021 as far as current plans are concerned?
I think it's more connected to the tickets. i.e. tickets for 2020 are rolled over to 2021.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 08:24 (Ref:3982569)   #1872
midgetman
Veteran

Sorry to butt in but on another thread Andy97 asked me to recount some of my tales of sprinting at Curborough. I was there in the very early 80s which may very well have been a different planet.

For those that don't know, Curborough is a sprint circuit in the Midlands. I think it is part of an old airfield. The surface was highly polished concrete with what seemed to be a high granite content. To make things worse sheep were allowed to roam in the week, the consequent ovine excreta producing a very interesting surface until a few cars had practiced. It was horrible! Add in very close banks and - well, I remember one Lotus Elan drifting wide and it shattered as it hit the bank!

1980 was very different to today. We had a great relationship with the organising/scrutineering team. Probably because we shared a couple of bottles of red wine with them at lunchtime, and yes my dad was driving in the afternoon and yes they did know about it.

The track was also bordered by trees on one side with no guard rail. One meeting a hot 2.8 Capri went off sideways and thankfully came to rest longways BETWEEN two trunks without damage. Problem was the trees were mere centimetres further apart than the length of the car. Yeah that took a bit of getting out.

Andy97 I hope this whets your appetite. There are more, but these give a flavour of Curborough in my early competition days. I made my Sprint debut there in 1982. Not too boring for the rest of you I hope, I've tried to avoid "the day the pub completely ran out of salt and vinegar crisps."

These were undoubtedly - all together now - HAPPY DAYS!

Old 18 Jun 2020, 09:27 (Ref:3982575)   #1873
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry to butt in but on another thread Andy97 asked me to recount some of my tales of sprinting at Curborough. I was there in the very early 80s which may very well have been a different planet.

For those that don't know, Curborough is a sprint circuit in the Midlands. I think it is part of an old airfield. The surface was highly polished concrete with what seemed to be a high granite content. To make things worse sheep were allowed to roam in the week, the consequent ovine excreta producing a very interesting surface until a few cars had practiced. It was horrible! Add in very close banks and - well, I remember one Lotus Elan drifting wide and it shattered as it hit the bank!

1980 was very different to today. We had a great relationship with the organising/scrutineering team. Probably because we shared a couple of bottles of red wine with them at lunchtime, and yes my dad was driving in the afternoon and yes they did know about it.

The track was also bordered by trees on one side with no guard rail. One meeting a hot 2.8 Capri went off sideways and thankfully came to rest longways BETWEEN two trunks without damage. Problem was the trees were mere centimetres further apart than the length of the car. Yeah that took a bit of getting out.

Andy97 I hope this whets your appetite. There are more, but these give a flavour of Curborough in my early competition days. I made my Sprint debut there in 1982. Not too boring for the rest of you I hope, I've tried to avoid "the day the pub completely ran out of salt and vinegar crisps."

These were undoubtedly - all together now - HAPPY DAYS!

Excellent, thanks Max. I started my competition career there in the mid 90s in my road going Porsche 944 but it was proper tarmac by then and reasonable distances between the track and the trees, and Armco in several places. Although the “molehill” still (and does still) existed.
Yes, it was a very small part of the former RAF Lichfield, and even now the industrial distribution site nearby uses some of the recognisable former hangars.
I don’t have any particular stories to match those but my most recent visit, almost exactly a year ago, was when I hired the circuit for a “track day” for my mates in the (unofficial) Castle Donington Motors Club (CDMC). The circuit has been modified since I first went, with a “cross over section” in the middle of the top loop - this allows cars to run a “figure of eight”. Cars on track days are still run singly but I allowed people to run as many “laps” as they liked for up to about 15 minutes each, and they could use whatever configuration they liked.
One of our members’ young ish daughters came along to try out a brand newly built and very smart Citroen C1 and all went very well until the last run of the day- you can guess where this is going!
She had gradually got quicker and quicker through the day, and in this last run was using the figure of 8 crossover but in the opposite direction of travel to the way the normal sprint “lap” is run; she went wide on the exit, took her foot off the gas, fish-tailed and ended up in the drainage ditch that still lines the circuit in front to the spectator bank facing the opposite direction.
The car was not so pristine with all the front valance and bonnet smashed in, a bent wing, bent steering arm, bent driveshaft and front suspension and one wheel with about 30 degrees negative camber.
Cue lots of tears. It did take us quite a long time to tow it out of the mud bank.
And the real problem was that the car was due at Croft that evening for the Saturday 6 hour C1 race. This resulted in a marathon motorsport effort until 3 in the morning to get the car to Croft, get hold of spares and rebuild the front end. At the start of the race, It still looked like most C1s do at the end, though. Battered!
MGDavid, Curborough is good fun but can still bite!

Last edited by andy97; 18 Jun 2020 at 09:32.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 09:28 (Ref:3982576)   #1874
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Nice to hear some motor racing stories. I have tested at the track. Yes very short but fun.Thanks Max.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 09:58 (Ref:3982582)   #1875
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
I've been Clerking / Stewarding / Radio Controller there for the last 20 or so years and still have problems coming to terms with the fact that from the Startline you are going up the wrong lane.

If you've not been, there are two lanes at the start, the right hand lane is the 'out' road and the left hand one is the 'return', you have to imagine you're in France!

Funny story: when they put the figure of eight in a few years ago, I was Clerking one of the first meetings to use it, I took the Stewards round for their inspection lap and when we got to it, none of us were sure which way to go, hopefully anyone watching just thought we were being thorough.