Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 2 Feb 2003, 01:56 (Ref:493441)   #16
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you can pick up Formula Vee cars very cheaply (compared), ive seen a 2001 model with trailer sell for 5k. And some older cars are as little as 3k. I think they are about 8k new.
Entry fees for 750mc are only about 120 per race, i think BRSCC are about 175. Also the treaded tyres used in Vee are probably going to be cheaper than slicks.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 01:58 (Ref:493443)   #17
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personally, i wouldn't go for Formula First, there's virtually nowhere to race them.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 09:35 (Ref:493654)   #18
Tim Hall
Rookie

Tim Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be abit of a shame to have a formula first,get it running nicely and have know where to run it. Thanks everyone for your help,this explains why there is nothing on the net about firsts and a lot more about Honda and V's. I will go out and have a look at the other two formula's and go from there. This explains why the firsts are at the racing schools as this is the only place left bar the scrap heap.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 10:24 (Ref:493686)   #19
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim, I am a little unsure about what you intend to actually do with a F First if and when you get one..Are you intending to race or just drive at test days/circuit days, or are you interested in sprints and hillclimbs perhaps. If the latter is of interest there is a class for F Firsts in the BARC CCC Speed Championship, mind you they are amalgamated with FF1600 cars. Check out http://www.barc.net for further info. Hope you find this useful.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 10:25 (Ref:493688)   #20
John Clucas
Rookie

John Clucas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget FF1600 either. They are very plentiful, with lots of opportunities to race them (even decent prize money at some places). The treaded tyres make them much much cheaper to run than Zetecs. The marque is much more stable than FH (in particular), which may be important when you come to sell.
The racing is, at it's best, is as good as anything you'll see (and far better than almost all the more sexy prestige classes).
I'd make similar comments about Caterhams too - if you're not wedded to single seaters.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 20:54 (Ref:494182)   #21
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim. If your after a FHonda for this season then give me a call. I am selling mine that finished 2nd in the championship as I am hoping to be racing in the states this year. My number is 07966 494583 and there are some photos on www.andyroberts.uk.com
Old 4 Feb 2003, 09:00 (Ref:495834)   #22
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could enter a Formula first in the Monoposto Championship
Old 4 Feb 2003, 10:56 (Ref:495925)   #23
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I'd recommend F Vee or FF1600. Both have plenty of cars around for little money and both have large grids. FFirst is a bit of a dead duck. No real club series unless you want to do hillclimbs or sprints (or maybe monoposto).

I have raced F Vee in Ireland and the UK. The drivers consist of experienced hard to beat veterans, up and coming youngsters (this year there were two that came back down from UK F Renault), thoses looking for a bit of a race thrill and every other sort that you will meet. Secondhand cars can be had for as little as GBP3k. A set of tyres can last 4-5 races (depending on how hard you are on tyres). Repairs are cheap. The entry fees range from around GBP110 to GBP170 (Donington). Help is always available (F Vee are the friendliest in the paddock) and people will loan you equipment to get out for race qualifying (if you are unfortunate enough to do damage in qualifying/testing). All in all it is a great class to start in. Most rounds have a two qualifying sessions, a qualifying race and a final. So potentially you can get two races for one race entry fee (or four races at a double header).

You can check out UK F Vee at the following sites:
www.formulavee.co.uk
www.leastone-racing.com
www.vwracing.net
www.750mc.co.uk

FF1600 is thankfully having a bit of a resurgence. Cars are built by the likes of Van Diemen, Swift, Ray, Mondiale, etc... Tyres are not slicks and last for a few races (someone else can give you the exact details). Looks like you could pick up a FF1600 from about GBP6k.

The one thing that I can't stress enough about buying a car: make sure that you have someone elses advice that knows the history of the car. Too many people end up getting stuck with a championship winning car (according to the seller) that is just a minger. Happens in all classes unless you know the class. Let me know if you need more info...
Old 4 Feb 2003, 19:22 (Ref:496491)   #24
Tim Hall
Rookie

Thanks very much for all the information,I now have a lot more to consider and formula first is no longer of interest.Now to go and have a look!!!!!!!!!
Old 4 Feb 2003, 20:04 (Ref:496572)   #25
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see you are from Gloucester Tim. Many of the Monoposto Championship drivers and officials come from that area. Get in touch as there will be many many people willing to lend advice.

www.monoposto.freeserve.co.uk

Last edited by Lola; 4 Feb 2003 at 20:05.
Old 4 Feb 2003, 20:47 (Ref:496612)   #26
Tim Hall
Rookie

And the information just keeps coming in.Thanks Lola I will follow up the advice.
Old 4 Feb 2003, 22:03 (Ref:496722)   #27
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim, a wise move to steer clear of FFirst, Monoposto are def. worth considering as is FF1600. As you are in Gloucester I would strongly recommend following Ian Sowman's advice and pop over to Castle Combe to see a round of their FF1600 Championship that caters for newcomers and experienced guys alike. Cars are plentiful and relatively simple to maintain, and the class as a whole has been given a lifeline by Ford who have opened up the supply of parts recently. PM me if you want more info.