Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 26 Mar 2004, 22:59 (Ref:920654)   #126
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95
I got Chasing the Title by Nigel Roebuck from the local library.
I know some people don't agree with Roebuck but it was his name that convinced me to take it out.

It's an excellent read stunning stuff.

I'm always happy to read Roebuck's stuff. I think he's an excellent writer - it also helps that I very often agree with his views. If you see a copy of Grand Prix Greats by Roebuck anywhere, pick it up. My copy came out in about 85/86 - certainly before Lotus went with Camel. Roebuck writes about most of the great names over the F1 years, and each chapter is accompanied by a superb drawing of the driver. They're almost worth separating from the text and framing. (Well, almost.... )
Old 28 Mar 2004, 12:35 (Ref:922016)   #127
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
They're almost worth separating from the text and framing. (Well, almost.... )
Famed book hunter Drif Field calls this practice 'libricide'.
Old 28 Mar 2004, 12:43 (Ref:922029)   #128
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good word ensign. I wouldn't do it, of course.....
Old 19 Jun 2004, 09:17 (Ref:1008550)   #129
condor
Rookie

condor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by gfm
Anybody read 'Bernie's Game'? (I can't bring myself to buy it)
Just finished reading it for the 2nd time
It is tough going - but very interesting. A must for every F1 fan to read.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 12:43 (Ref:1008638)   #130
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, The SLEC/Kirch dealings are hard reading.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1793783)   #131
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Books about Group C, any recommendations?

The reviews of Ian Briggs/John Starkey's Golden Era aren't very positive.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:07 (Ref:1793960)   #132
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The latest and last Michael Schuamcher book looks great. I think I'm getting that for either my birthday or christmas...along with the latest Senna hard back book....and of course a F1 2006-2007 yearbook. Autocourse are the best, but £40 is a rip off!
Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1793972)   #133
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autocourse is worth every penny usually (bar 2004).

The Schumacher book I can guarantee will be unmitigated drivel, knowing the author in question.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1793978)   #134
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Books about Group C, any recommendations?

The reviews of Ian Briggs/John Starkey's Golden Era aren't very positive.
The original Briggs book, which is rather expensive, I'm afraid.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1794001)   #135
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Autocourse is worth every penny usually (bar 2004).

The Schumacher book I can guarantee will be unmitigated drivel, knowing the author in question.
Autocurse are very good, but £40 is very expensive, imagine collecting all of them. I think you do?...

I agree about the Schui book, but all of my other ones on him are old, and I want to read about the latest years...ad it will of course be my last of his...
Old 19 Dec 2006, 00:35 (Ref:1794199)   #136
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
£40 for Autocourse? Where are you buying yours from!? Check out Amazon they have the 2006 Annual for £27.20.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1794640)   #137
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
£40 for Autocourse? Where are you buying yours from!? Check out Amazon they have the 2006 Annual for £27.20.
GPL Christmas cat...

TSF1's latest website pole something has Senna remaning cars £10, and £5 on his clothing for starters...

GPL is quite a rip off at times....

That's why I call them Grand Prix Leg ends.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 13:34 (Ref:1794671)   #138
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brock Yates' "Against Death and Time," a fabulous historical account of the early post WWII years in US Champ Car racing.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1794939)   #139
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
luke, why you continue to even bother with GPL is beyond me. They are so hopelessly poor, combining the worst customer service of all time with delivery times slower than glacial drift and prices competitive with Harrods. They are a pointless "service" and you may as well throw your money down the toilet, it has the same effect.

Surf the net and you find bargains.

For example, as SALEEN points out, Autocourse is £26 on Amazon. I got mine there. This was also delivered at a reasonable cost in rapid time. Generally, all books are discounted online (apart from on GPL).

Admittedly my Autocourse was a damaged one (the back of the cover was torn. Can you get replacements?) but this is bound to happen with mail order at some point. Apart from that, everything I've bought has been cheap and in perfect nick.

Also, have you tried Millhouse books? I pick up a load of books there at a fraction of full price. For example I got about six seperate Autcourses for about £8 each.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1794961)   #140
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
luke, why you continue to even bother with GPL is beyond me. They are so hopelessly poor, combining the worst customer service of all time with delivery times slower than glacial drift and prices competitive with Harrods. They are a pointless "service" and you may as well throw your money down the toilet, it has the same effect.

Surf the net and you find bargains.

For example, as SALEEN points out, Autocourse is £26 on Amazon. I got mine there. This was also delivered at a reasonable cost in rapid time. Generally, all books are discounted online (apart from on GPL).

Admittedly my Autocourse was a damaged one (the back of the cover was torn. Can you get replacements?) but this is bound to happen with mail order at some point. Apart from that, everything I've bought has been cheap and in perfect nick.

Also, have you tried Millhouse books? I pick up a load of books there at a fraction of full price. For example I got about six seperate Autcourses for about £8 each.
I've bought several Autocourses' from both Millhouse and Amazon, ebay for that matter as well.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 18:30 (Ref:1794969)   #141
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well there you go then!
Old 19 Dec 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1794991)   #142
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Well there you go then!
However they were CART/OWRS Autocourses so....They are only around £30 new and £25 to £27 on Amazon, not much of a discount there...
Old 19 Dec 2006, 18:52 (Ref:1794995)   #143
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I think I got some CART Autocourses from Millhouse much cheaper, but they sold out quickly. The only one that cost me greatly was the 1999 version, but I didn't mind that.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1794999)   #144
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
I think I got some CART Autocourses from Millhouse much cheaper, but they sold out quickly. The only one that cost me greatly was the 1999 version, but I didn't mind that.
LOL, well the 1999 one I got cheapish, but 2001, 2002, 2003 I bought from Millhouse and they were all standard price...The rest I got on ebay cheap as they were quite old as you'd expect, but the 1999 book was brand new, just never looked at..
The 2005 book I got on Amazon for around £27 new...at the start of this year..
Old 19 Dec 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1795029)   #145
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
The original Briggs book, which is rather expensive, I'm afraid.
Most sportscar books are expensive
Old 11 May 2016, 01:12 (Ref:3640742)   #146
groupseven
Rookie

Canada
whitby ontario canada
groupseven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob Wallace book

quiet on this thread for a long while ! anyone have information about the Bob Wallace book by Maria Christina Guizzardi, it was printed a year or two ago. sold out quickly ! I read some where that there is to be a second printing. would like to get a copy, can't seem to find much about it anywhere !

Mike, in Canada
Old 11 Jun 2016, 06:43 (Ref:3648846)   #147
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The Brian Redman book is very enjoyable and interesting. Extremely eloquent.
Old 11 Jun 2016, 07:53 (Ref:3648859)   #148
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quiet because we seem to open up new threads occasionally. Here's a couple on good books

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=Books

And one on bad books

"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 28 Jun 2016, 17:59 (Ref:3655640)   #149
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
The Redman book is excellent - despite its awful title and terrible cover.

Mark Hughes was involved with the ghosting , it appears , and it is beautifully written , insightful , hugely informative and with a lovely dry wit. The photos are superb- some I have seen before but many were new to me. The most bizzare is the Gerhard Mitter funeral cortege ; seven works Porsche drivers in race overalls walking by a 911 with a coffin on top- with poor Mitter's race helmet on the front of the bloody coffin. Surreal and ghastly.

But a great book from a great driver- and so much nicer to read than either the near paranoid ramblings of the moustachioed one or the simply woeful effort from our kilted friend ...
Old 9 Oct 2016, 10:09 (Ref:3678621)   #150
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Damon Hill's recently published autobiography is outstanding. I have reviewed it for speedreaders.info - if not on front page search by reviewer -John A.

Anyway- just a great book, very personal and a real contrast to the drivel we have seen from some drivers . To his great credit 95% +of the book is written by Damon himself.