Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 28 Sep 2000, 15:48 (Ref:39829)   #1
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I've just finished re-reading Professor Sid Watkins account of Formula 1 today,* "Life at the Limit", and I'm half way through "Life in the Fast Lane", Benetton mechanic, Steve Hatchett's view of the awful '94 season. Interesting perspectives of the same period.

* Both written in '95/96, I believe they still offer insight into todays most complex sport.

Does anyone have any recommendations for further reading once these have been digested, and has anyone read the two books mentioned?

If so, what were your thoughts?

Old 28 Sep 2000, 17:09 (Ref:39842)   #2
Schume
Racer

Schume should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Sid Watkins book was really good. He's been around F1 for many years so he speaks with a lot of knowledge and insight. Not read Steve Matchett's though.

There are no really bang up to date "inside f1" type books around as far as I know.

If you want some contrast try Eddie Irvine's "Life In The Fast Lane" and "Deadly Obsessions: Life and Death in Formula 1" by Phil Shirley.
Old 29 Sep 2000, 12:36 (Ref:39989)   #3
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was also going to recommend the Benetton mechanic's book. My friend says it is brilliant and when I gave him the book for his birthday I had a quick peek myself and found it fascinating.

Old 1 Oct 2000, 12:54 (Ref:40354)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a book called "Formula One Undressed" which covers 1998 and is very good about things that happened in the paddock or off the track (not gossip, but good interesting stuff about the people who keep the cars going, with some coverage of the pilots. There is a priceless description of Eddie Irvine going off to dinner with his family that compares him to the Cleavers...)

Someone else has recommended to me "The Science of Speed" by David Tremayne and says it's an excellent book.
Old 2 Oct 2000, 17:49 (Ref:40585)   #5
wodonnell
Racer

wodonnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read the Watkins book and thought it was an excellent balance between the techy stuff and the humorous anecdotes. I just picked up something called "The Concise Encyclopedia of Formula One". I have only flicked through it so far but it seems to cover things like the driver and tracks etc in quite a bit of detail. It is very much an encyclpedia format though so probably isn't what you are after.

I got a book from my local library which is a sort of behind the scenes thing. It is called the Renault Formula 1 Motor Racing Book and covers everything from how a car is built through to what a driver wears under his overalls and how the television pictures are broadcast from the events. Unfortunately its not very detailed though. (I think it may be a childrens book actually). It covers a lot but it is quite basic so, again probably not what you are after.

I got a copy of Jean Alesi - Beating The Odds today. Anyone read it? Its from about 1996 so covers up to his move to Benetton.
Old 2 Oct 2000, 22:56 (Ref:40635)   #6
Sparky
Veteran

Thanks everyone.

Steve Hatchett! What was I thinkin'?
The book is a good read. It feels more like a diary. Less formal than some. (You could almost be listening to a friend talking about his experiences!)

As to the others, there's a good few suggestions there. I shall try and find them.

Wodonnell; I, too, have "The Concise Encyclopedia of Formula One". It's great for the kind of information you need to keep up to speed in the F1 Forum, but it's not a 'reader' like the others.

I have quite a few Formula 1 reference books (Though probably not enough to embarrass Gerard!).

I particularly enjoy the technical reference manuals; I will be seeking out the latest by Giorgio Piola.

I might try and get Shirley's "Deadly Obsessions: Life and Death in Formula 1" tomorrow.
I think I'll give the Eddie 'The Swerve' Irvine one a miss, though. Thanks Shume!

Liz, I've not heard of "Formula One Undressed". Is it recent? I muight try Amazon. Who was the author?

Again, thanks for answering, guys.
Old 3 Oct 2000, 00:47 (Ref:40656)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I made a wee mistake in the title: "Formula One Uncovered" is the name. Here's the review, pirated from Amazon.co.uk:

Derek Allsop, motor racing writer for the Independent, has enjoyed the privilege of covering Formula One for 18 years. His wealth of experience has seen him write six books on Grand Prix racing and his seventh, Formula One Uncovered, is a rare treat for those seeking the inside story on the sport.
Allsop follows the circus through 12 races of the 1998 season--the European campaign plus the finale at Suzuka--and gains some candid interviews with those behind the wheel and behind the scenes of the world's most exclusive sport.

Ron Dennis, Eddie Irvine and Damon Hill are among those who let their guards drop to provide a fascinating insight into the glamour, tactics and pit-lane politics of Formula One. Allsop balances his frank exchanges with the frivolous, from the Portaloos of San Marino to Mika Hakkinen's tortoise, ensuring the book appeals to both casual armchair viewers and to the track-side fanatics alike.

F1 Uncovered represents good value, but the appeal of the book is slightly spoiled by eight pages of unnecessary photos--after the treat of a Dennis tirade do we really need a blurred photo of the Minardi crew eating pasta? A small criticism for an otherwise great book. --Amazon.co.uk

Synopsis
This account of life inside the Formula One community provides fans with an insight into what happened in the paddock during the 1998 European Grand Prix season.

------------------------

P.S. from Liz: I liked the photos and the description of the Minardi kitchens is wonderful - especially about Stallone trying to get in and not succeeding!
Old 3 Oct 2000, 17:48 (Ref:40816)   #8
Sparky
Veteran

Thanks Liz.

I spent some pennies at a few local bookshops today.

Damon Hill - My Championship Year by er... Damon Hill

Behind the scenes With Benetton formula by Chris Bennett

Pole Position - The Inside Story of Williams-Renault by Jon Nicholson and Maurice Hamilton

Racing Stewart - The Birth of a Grand Prix Team by Maurice Hamilton and Jon Nicholson

All are secondhand (or is that preread? ) but in good condition. The four cost me an average of £14.24 each. A bit pricey?

Couldn't find any of those recommended here though, so I'll have to buy those new...

I'll let you know how good they are once digested!

(They look good from the pictures... )

I did see one other while I was looking. Called "Five days of a Grand Prix" (Or something similar) by Nicholson and Parsons, it tells of the view of the Formula 1 Circus from the eyes of the locals, in this case, Monza (I think)

I didn't realize that poor local people gain access to the track after the race just to sift through the rubbish (One photo looked like a snapshot of what the holocaust might look like; Sooo much rubbish...) just to find food, money or even forgotten posessions or supporter paraphernalia which can be sold later.

I'm sure I thoght it could happen, just never told it did. Quite sad... A fascinating book, but I ran out of Groats.

Old 3 Oct 2000, 19:29 (Ref:40831)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Still using groats, Sparky?

Surely you have heard about European integration? Our great leader Caesar Antonio Blairius has decreed that the humble groat be replaced forthwith by the dinarius as common currency.

But in the meantime, there are still bastions against uniformity, and one of these would have to be that indomitable Celt, Eddie Jordan - as recounted in the most excellent scroll "Jordan - The Drive To Win".

As luck would have it, I have a copy hanging around which has served its purpose (I was using it as photo reference for a Jordan miniature I was building), so if you would like, I shall endeavour to remember to bring it when we next meet at a race circuit.
Old 3 Oct 2000, 19:40 (Ref:40833)   #10
Sparky
Veteran

Ah yes Tim, but you see, I put my last ten dinarius piece in to the coffee machine, so I found myself without.
Only had 'old' money y'see! Good job it was an old bookshop.

The book loan would be greatly accepted old friend.
"Jordan - The Drive To Win". That will be four teams covered! Now, to the other seven...

I trust you're still able to wing your way eastwards on the Sunday after the night before? At least you'll be able to say you had a great reception in Kent!

Cheers Buddy!