Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 21 Jun 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1335942)   #101
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaneyC
What if we get you a sign with a broom on the other end Sheila would you do it? You are a girl now afterall
No. I'm afraid that my days of wearing skimpy outfits and lycra are long gone!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1335968)   #102
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
No. I'm afraid that my days of wearing skimpy outfits and lycra are long gone!
You've put me right off my tea now...
Old 21 Jun 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1335970)   #103
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
You've put me right off my tea now...
Sorry!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1336268)   #104
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm all for it as long as they're not
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1336466)   #105
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Well at club meetings the competitors, their helpers and marshalls etc. do it for nothing so why can't the grid girls :-).
My house needs painting. Will you come and do it for nothing? I could do it for nothing myself, but...........
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:29 (Ref:1336499)   #106
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
little bit different to grid girling!

but if it means an all expenses paid trip to NZ...
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:34 (Ref:1336513)   #107
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well Slippy I said it tounge in cheek hence the :-) but your comment is, with respect just being daft and out of context. We were talking about amatuer sport here not the professional variety, not a building and decorating job, hardly equates does it? My comment was aimed at Sheila M's question of why don't they appear at clubbie meetings.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1336531)   #108
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Well Slippy I said it tounge in cheek hence the :-) but your comment is, with respect just being daft and out of context. We were talking about amatuer sport here not the professional variety, not a building and decorating job, hardly equates does it? My comment was aimed at Sheila M's question of why don't they appear at clubbie meetings.
Al, would you like to explain to me the difference between "amateur" and "professional" here. Surely a race driver is a race driver is a race driver?

Anyway, that aside, would you prefer a qualified startline marshal or a grid girl to get you into the right place for the start of a race?
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1336533)   #109
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Hang on, you want the grid girls to do their JOB for nothing. I want you to paint my house for nothing. Same thing.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1336538)   #110
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
but if it means an all expenses paid trip to NZ...
Well, I have checked your profile and have determined that I would need further information before proceeding
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1336539)   #111
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
One who gets paid i.e Touring cars, F1, Le Mans type cars etc and one that does'nt i.e. the majority you would see at a club meeting.

Slippy I was saying (tounge in cheek) that if everyone else from the drivers down to the marshalls do it for nothing if the grid girls were so into motorsport as has been implied by some, well then maybe they might like to offer their charming services free of charge for the chaps at the impoverished club meetings as well. Oh and you would not want me painting yer house free or not!!!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1336541)   #112
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
Hang on, you want the grid girls to do their JOB for nothing. I want you to paint my house for nothing. Same thing.
Employ a marshal then - we do the same thing as grid girls.

Admittedly most startline marshals are a damned sight less attractive .....
Old 21 Jun 2005, 22:18 (Ref:1336559)   #113
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Whether the girls are into motorsport or not is something I care not a jot about. They are employed to do a job, and they do it. There is a demand for grid girls from teams/sponsors/etc who are willing to pay. It is that simple. Why should they do it for free? Marshalls do their job for the love of the sport, its different. The girls are earning a crust doing something that THEY are happy to do.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 22:20 (Ref:1336561)   #114
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Employ a marshal then - we do the same thing as grid girls.
No you don't.

Quote:
Admittedly most startline marshals are a damned sight less attractive
And here is why.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1337057)   #115
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thing is tho, even in BF3, everyone doing it is super-thin! There's this whole "criteria" about it.

But with marshals doing the same thing as grid girls....I guess the drivers will look for whoever, but the general public will look more at grid girls.

Slippy Diff - your last post is harsh! And my holiday plans are all sorted thanks, US and Tunisia for me...
Old 22 Jun 2005, 12:26 (Ref:1337095)   #116
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
No you don't.

And here is why.

You're right of course Slippy Diff. Startline marshals (and I hasten to add that I am NOT a startline marshal these days but I used to be, years ago) do more than stand holding a board on a grid slot.

The reason I said "Admittedly most startline marshals are a damned sight less attractive " is that most of 'em are blokes!

Personally speaking, I really don't care one way or another whether we have grid girls, the ones I've met over the years are lovely girls. I just don't see them as being essential to the sport.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1337446)   #117
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Also Slippydiff the argument was put forward that the girls were A) knowlegable about the sport and B) They were Motor sport enthusiasts just like the marshalls in both respect. The point being made to this argument was maybe if they were both knowledgable and enthusiastic maybe at the less well heeled meetings they may just want to volenteer there services for free, but I won't hold my breath.

Now here is a suggestion, if one can coerce their wife or partner or friend or whoever (I have two very attractive daughters for example) to act as a grid girl for their team then maybe the race organisers could give the teams another ticket but again don't hold your breath. You know it may just be nice at amatuer level to involve the ladies a bit more in an attractive role who knows it may work.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1337665)   #118
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Suze, I wasn't being harsh just realistic (I am no Adonis so can comment). Sheila's post hit the nail on the head. But just to clarify my position on this matter (in case the reasoning has become clouded), my gripe was with those who would rather see no grid girls as it is not deemed necessary to the sport. The girls are doing a job for which they are paid, just like many others at the track. Until someone can come up with a valid argument (teams spending their budget more wisely is not one) then let them work. Better than sponging of the state like so many others in the UK.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1337680)   #119
SeaneyC
Racer

SeaneyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Until someone can come up with a valid argument (teams spending their budget more wisely is not one) then let them work.
I thought the whole point of this thread was the fact that the use of grid girls in motorsport IS dwindling, a clear indication that now they just are not getting the worK? Or maybe i got that bit wrong? Anyway i agreed with you on the fact that they get paid to look good, and anything else is a bonus. Just like any other job on that level. (the paid for objective, not looking good, i'd be on the dole for sure!)
Old 22 Jun 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1337688)   #120
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Suze, I wasn't being harsh just realistic (I am no Adonis so can comment). Sheila's post hit the nail on the head. But just to clarify my position on this matter (in case the reasoning has become clouded), my gripe was with those who would rather see no grid girls as it is not deemed necessary to the sport. The girls are doing a job for which they are paid, just like many others at the track. Until someone can come up with a valid argument (teams spending their budget more wisely is not one) then let them work. Better than sponging of the state like so many others in the UK.
Thanks Slippy! However, I don't think being a grid girl would answer my own unemployment situation.

I was unfortunate enough to be made redundant in March but decided that I would start up my own secretarial business from home, whilst still looking for gainful employment at the same time. Regrettably, neither of those options has materialised and so I am given 142.38 NZ dollars a week (£56 for the rest of you) to pay all the bills. You call that sponging on the state?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 21:31 (Ref:1337692)   #121
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
You call that sponging on the state?
No. But you know the sort of people I mean, don't you?
I would rather see someone earning a wage and paying their way. Who are we to stand in their way if an organisation is willing to pay them good money?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1337715)   #122
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
No. But you know the sort of people I mean, don't you?
I would rather see someone earning a wage and paying their way. Who are we to stand in their way if an organisation is willing to pay them good money?

I do indeed Slippy!

But as I've said before I have no problem with the girls, I just can't see how they can be considered essential to motorsport. Particularly in the light of recent events over the Pond. Tyres I can understand, girls ....?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1337744)   #123
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yeah I wa gonna mention that as well, don't New Zealand have a welfare system then?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1337782)   #124
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
don't New Zealand have a welfare system then?
Yep, we do, and it is abused just as much by the spongers.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 23:15 (Ref:1337785)   #125
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
I do indeed Slippy!

But as I've said before I have no problem with the girls, I just can't see how they can be considered essential to motorsport. Particularly in the light of recent events over the Pond. Tyres I can understand, girls ....?
But to be fair, the original thread starter never stated that grid girls were essential. AdamAshmore used the word 'essential' in his reply and it snowballed from there. Gridmodels was only asking about the popularity waning. Too much emphasis has been put on the 'essential' side of things. Money is the only thing that is essential to motorsport in my opinion.