Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 7 Feb 2020, 16:04 (Ref:3956306)   #151
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just watched that! Must have had same email......

Still a question mark over why the Miles car lost 2 laps, or was it all down to the brake change then requiring an extra stop because the new pads / discs weren’t bedded?
Old 7 Feb 2020, 16:29 (Ref:3956311)   #152
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
yes i guess we both got the same email. Agree no one seems able to really explain home those laps were lost
Old 9 Feb 2020, 23:56 (Ref:3956685)   #153
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Fingers crossed for the Oscar (Academy Award) for best movie
Old 10 Feb 2020, 02:39 (Ref:3956690)   #154
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Oscar for sound-editing in the pocket
Old 10 Feb 2020, 03:08 (Ref:3956691)   #155
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
And Film-editing
Le Mans '66 only category left in which it is nominated is the big one
Old 10 Feb 2020, 04:27 (Ref:3956696)   #156
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
It wasn't to be
Old 10 Feb 2020, 10:09 (Ref:3956725)   #157
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I guess it just wasn’t popular enough to beat the others
Old 10 Feb 2020, 10:32 (Ref:3956727)   #158
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Really?
Old 10 Feb 2020, 10:55 (Ref:3956729)   #159
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I guess it just wasn’t popular enough to beat the others
It's interesting that you use the term 'popular', given that the Oscars have a bit of recent controversy surrounding the debate between being popular and being worthy of an award.

If you want some further reading, a couple of options:

'The Oscars shouldn't be a popularity contest'

'Why the Oscars ignore the best films of the year'

Quotes - 'There is already an award for popular films. It’s called money.'
'This [2019] weekend’s Oscar ceremony will strain to prove the awards’ relevance, assuming that this will be signalled by higher ratings for the show or blockbusters in the best picture category.'

Did Le Mans 66 deserve an Oscar? Is that opinion based on the quality of the film, or box office takings?
Does a film have to be popular to be good? I would imagine the opinion of whether Le Mans 66 deserves award success will be slightly skewed amongst readers of this forum.

In the reach for popularity, quality is sometimes lost. Or as Indira Gandhi said - 'Popularity is not a guarantee of quality.'
Old 10 Feb 2020, 12:09 (Ref:3956736)   #160
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s always open to debate. And yes there has been a few ones that have been strange winners in the past. But overall I wouldn’t say there haven’t been many undeserved ones

I guess Le Mans 66 didn’t figure high on many people’s lists and has been overshadowed by many others. It had some tough competition. But it was still a great film, and that’s good enough
Old 10 Feb 2020, 12:23 (Ref:3956738)   #161
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
But overall I wouldn’t say there haven’t been many undeserved ones
Old 10 Feb 2020, 12:50 (Ref:3956741)   #162
S griffin
Veteran

I am just glad a film has been put out about a story that’s never really been explored before. Plenty of people in motorsport knew about Le Mans 66, so it was a big step to put it out there to the masses and you have to say it has been a good enough success, as it certainly got talked about and had quite a number of people go see it. A very well done film it was too
Old 10 Feb 2020, 13:00 (Ref:3956743)   #163
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
To be honest, with all the moaning prior to the oscars, it was just surprising that they did not give the award to a passing stranger as long as they meet the criteria acceptable. What a waste of money the awards are. However 3 gongs for le mans 66 happy with that
Old 10 Feb 2020, 14:59 (Ref:3956759)   #164
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
To be honest, with all the moaning prior to the oscars, it was just surprising that they did not give the award to a passing stranger as long as they meet the criteria acceptable. What a waste of money the awards are. However 3 gongs for le mans 66 happy with that
Agree, the Oscars are a shell of the prestige it used to be. Between all of the Hollywood politics and virtue signalers out there. And movies like shape of water and parasite winning best picture. What the heck is Parasite? Never heard of the this film until last night? Watched a trailer of it this morning and still did not understand what it is about. Yet it wins best picture? What about Ford Vs Ferrari, or Joker, or Avengers Endgame? Stuff that has widespread appeal and would get people to watch the awards show.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 15:00 (Ref:3956760)   #165
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I wish the movie had an epilogue at the end that showed real life footage of the Ford Vs Ferrari Le Mans battle of 2016.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 15:40 (Ref:3956762)   #166
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well i enjoyed the film and so did millions of others not sure the "best film" winner has ever been on general release in this country
Old 10 Feb 2020, 18:13 (Ref:3956803)   #167
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Agree, the Oscars are a shell of the prestige it used to be. Between all of the Hollywood politics and virtue signalers out there. And movies like shape of water and parasite winning best picture. What the heck is Parasite? Never heard of the this film until last night? Watched a trailer of it this morning and still did not understand what it is about. Yet it wins best picture? What about Ford Vs Ferrari, or Joker, or Avengers Endgame? Stuff that has widespread appeal and would get people to watch the awards show.
Maybe watch Parasite before pre-determining that it was not worthy of the award???

It was a very well made, relevant movie that touched on themes that require discussion.

Yes, Ford v Ferrari was my favorite of the options for Best Picture. But did it deserve the award?
Old 10 Feb 2020, 18:14 (Ref:3956804)   #168
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post

Yes, Ford v Ferrari was my favorite of the options for Best Picture. But did it deserve the award?

Yep. And it's my opinion that matters..... (to me).

I don't see why anyone else in glam and glitter land should have an opinion they think is more important than mine. (Not that I've watched many of the other nominees mind..... ).
Old 10 Feb 2020, 19:33 (Ref:3956833)   #169
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
i think the only nominated film i saw was le mans 66 so it would have got my vote
Old 10 Feb 2020, 20:10 (Ref:3956841)   #170
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I did in fact see ALL of the best picture nominees (I'm a cinephile and it's something I make a point to do every year), yes even Little Women.

1000%, I enjoyed Ford v Ferrari more than any of the others, however I would be the first to admit that I obviously am HIGHLY biased.

I'd like to think that in most cases besides the entertainment value, there is a good reason why a film wins best picture. A relevant social issue, something that is immediately timeless, something that hasn't been seen before, etc. As that should be the case (I don't really think this is just my opinion speaking here), I knew that it was always going to be a major upset for Ford v Ferrari to win. Besides, all of the "experts" generally agreed that it was a two horse race between 1917 (don't get me started on that one, impressive filmmaking skills, however gimmicky and basically a video game cutscene redone as a feature film) and Parasite.

So it came as no surprise to me that it did not win Best Picture. Don't kid yourselves though, winning Best Film Editing is no slouch, that's a fairly prestigious award on its own.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 21:41 (Ref:3956855)   #171
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I managed to catch all nine films before Oscar night too. I really enjoyed the film but I'd rank it 9th.

A great achievement just to be nominated, let alone bag a couple of awards. It made money on a pretty sizeable budget and exposed so many people to the story. It was a great success.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 00:26 (Ref:3956887)   #172
S griffin
Veteran

I think to be in the company of the other films is quite an achievement. Le Mans 66 is good in it’s own way. It certainly did well to be nominated. It did it’s job of delivering to the masses and they managed to get good income from it too, so that’s a big success
Old 12 Feb 2020, 17:48 (Ref:3957275)   #173
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Picked up the 4K/Blu Ray today. Can't wait to watch it again in the comfort of home!
Old 12 Feb 2020, 18:36 (Ref:3957290)   #174
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Blimey, the DVD/BR isn't released over here until 20th March...
Old 26 Feb 2020, 04:58 (Ref:3959937)   #175
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched DVD F vs F today, released in Australia, overall, so cringeworthy in parts it brings the whole film down...sadly disappointing, despite some exciting scenes