Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 3 May 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3730754)   #151
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Watch FA's Indy test live in just under four hours from now HERE.
Thanks for the link. Watching it now.

Richard
Old 3 May 2017, 14:03 (Ref:3730755)   #152
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alonso will be doing the Rookie Orientation Program today. As of last year a driver must complete 10 laps at 210-215 mph, followed by 15 laps at 215-220 mph and 15 laps at 220-plus mph. They are also allocated 5 sets of tyres.
Old 3 May 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3730767)   #153
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Zak "We're racers" Brown is very cool.

I'm getting serious bouts of nostalgia and the good old days syndrome. And McLaren is definitely bouncing back up my favourite teams list.
Old 3 May 2017, 15:52 (Ref:3730768)   #154
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If McLaren do contend the 500 on a regular basis, I hope this could pave the way for them to become another chassis manufacturer, rather than using Dallara's chassis.
Old 3 May 2017, 16:22 (Ref:3730773)   #155
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just caught a bit of it...looked like everything went to plan.

Not that I doubted he would do otherwise but it seems more real now...finding myself excited for a race in a way I haven't in a long time.
Old 3 May 2017, 16:32 (Ref:3730777)   #156
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Also really liked his helmet!
Old 3 May 2017, 17:07 (Ref:3730782)   #157
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Also really liked his helmet!
I am not a particular fan of the look of the current car they use, but it looks good in all orange. Too bad the F1 team didn't do the same!

Richard
Old 3 May 2017, 17:10 (Ref:3730783)   #158
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I am not a particular fan of the look of the current car they use, but it looks good in all orange. Too bad the F1 team didn't do the same!

Richard
Same. Fortunately everybody agrees and it is changing for the better soon. It still isn't going to be the prettiest car in the world, but it's much better.

Old 3 May 2017, 17:18 (Ref:3730784)   #159
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Same. Fortunately everybody agrees and it is changing for the better soon. It still isn't going to be the prettiest car in the world, but it's much better.

The 2018 car resembles the Lolas and Reynards they raced in the CART era, something many fans were hoping for, when the ICONIC Committee were deciding on the new car back in 2010.
Old 3 May 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3730787)   #160
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are certainly some similarities. The perfectly straight nose and the rear wheel aero devices are still a bit ugly, but it's a huge step forward and a great move. Now they should give them super skinny oval wings to improve the racing.
Old 3 May 2017, 18:38 (Ref:3730805)   #161
Richard C
Veteran

Somewhat unfortunate that this thread was moved from the F1 forum to the Indycar forum, but I understand why. Is I don't visit this part of the forum on a regular basis, I might drop out of the discussion.

I just was about to post that the F1 fans should watch the YouTube livestream because it is very interesting to see much of the behind the scenes stuff. I expect Indycar is much more open than F1 from a fan perspective, but I also suspect that this level of openness for what is a private test (after he did his rookie test work) may be unprecedented. My point being that this level of access is awesome for the fans.

Richard
Old 3 May 2017, 18:52 (Ref:3730807)   #162
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Thanks for posting that live video, very good insight and nice to be able to see live the historic moment of Fred's first time in an Indycar. Getting more and more exciting
Old 3 May 2017, 18:52 (Ref:3730808)   #163
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder if Alonso got a little deja vu watching his andretti teammates drop out the races at barber and Phoenix so badly? Had to be a bad feeling when Marco couldn't even make the start at barber as he was there. A little "really? This is gonna happen over here too?"
Old 3 May 2017, 19:20 (Ref:3730815)   #164
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Somewhat unfortunate that this thread was moved from the F1 forum to the Indycar forum, but I understand why. Is I don't visit this part of the forum on a regular basis, I might drop out of the discussion.

I just was about to post that the F1 fans should watch the YouTube livestream because it is very interesting to see much of the behind the scenes stuff. I expect Indycar is much more open than F1 from a fan perspective, but I also suspect that this level of openness for what is a private test (after he did his rookie test work) may be unprecedented. My point being that this level of access is awesome for the fans.

Richard
I'm not too sure either as I moderate the IndyCar section, not that I have an ego to bruise, . I suppose it got moved because the focus will now shift more and more towards the 500 as we get closer to race day.

Otherwise, yes it was great to watch the behind the scenes activity. An excellent way to use social media.
Old 3 May 2017, 19:52 (Ref:3730823)   #165
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
McLeran in orange is just proper. Go Alonso.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The 2018 car resembles the Lolas and Reynards they raced in the CART era, something many fans were hoping for, when the ICONIC Committee were deciding on the new car back in 2010.
It does look quite better and a certainly a much more simple design. Still too much side skirt for my liking. And I like how the lighting is darkened in this photo....scared to show too much too soon. And I see I'm about a month and a half late to that discussion
Old 3 May 2017, 19:55 (Ref:3730824)   #166
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'm not too sure either as I moderate the IndyCar section, not that I have an ego to bruise, . I suppose it got moved because the focus will now shift more and more towards the 500 as we get closer to race day.

Otherwise, yes it was great to watch the behind the scenes activity. An excellent way to use social media.
Quote:

Richard
Quite the opposite for me. I avoid F1 discussions. Can't keep up!

And it's the month of May. Indy, baby, Indy!
Old 3 May 2017, 20:03 (Ref:3730827)   #167
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Just caught a bit of it...looked like everything went to plan.

Not that I doubted he would do otherwise but it seems more real now...finding myself excited for a race in a way I haven't in a long time.
It's a good introduction for him to Indy. An easy set-up car, slowly build up speed and get used to the place. Perfect for an oval. I guess that is why they designed it that way!
Old 3 May 2017, 20:18 (Ref:3730830)   #168
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Richard
Well now you will have a reason to come visit the Indy section!
Old 3 May 2017, 20:51 (Ref:3730835)   #169
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Raise that rear wing!
Old 3 May 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3730848)   #170
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Well now you will have a reason to come visit the Indy section!
I will try to stick around! I used to follow in the CART days. I have watched bits and pieces of Indycar races post CART split, but not really much. Not even sure if I have watched a full race in a long time. I will be watching the 500 for the first time in maybe... a decade or more? Maybe Alonso will get me sucked back in.

Questions for the regular fans here. Thoughts and opinions on how Alonso did during the rookie test, the testing that happened directly after and the press conference?

Richard
Old 3 May 2017, 21:43 (Ref:3730854)   #171
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:

Not EVERYBODY agrees it's changing for the better. A fair amount of people are waiting to see how the redesign performs before passing THAT judgment.

Doesn't matter how good it looks; if the racing is terrible, it won't attract interest.
Old 3 May 2017, 22:15 (Ref:3730864)   #172
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I only saw the footage haphazardly. But Alonso didn't take the first turn flat and doesn't feel confident in giving feedback - yet. I'm sure that'll come. Michael Andretti is as happy as a clam with him. Alonso completed 100 plus laps all n' all and passed the rookie thing.
Old 3 May 2017, 22:23 (Ref:3730865)   #173
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Doesn't matter how good it looks; if the racing is terrible, it won't attract interest.
That should be enshrined in every decision of every racing authority!

How we wish!
Old 3 May 2017, 22:58 (Ref:3730869)   #174
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Not EVERYBODY agrees it's changing for the better. A fair amount of people are waiting to see how the redesign performs before passing THAT judgment.

It's always going to boil down to how good a race car it is. However, don't forget, this a standardised aero-kit, using the DW-12 chassis and the DW-12 chassis has more than proved itself since its inception in 2012.
Old 3 May 2017, 23:50 (Ref:3730874)   #175
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Racing is obviously a priority. But unconvincing looking cars will be sluggish to engage with. Audiences are more fickle to interest than one might think.

Now that car seems OK insofar as I can see. Need to see it other configurations, others angles and it in action of course. I'm not really getting a CART vibe myself -- it seems owe more to the present design.