Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 6 Nov 2007, 07:43 (Ref:2060866)   #1
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overseas racing

Will the series ever raceoverseas like australia,europe and maybe canada?,and will they ever race on street and road circuits as well?.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 18:41 (Ref:2061402)   #2
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

They have been racing on street and road circuits for a couple of years. They race in Japan. TG tried to grab the Toronto race but they stayed with CC.
PS. Canada isn't overseas.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 18:44 (Ref:2061405)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
America wishes it is though. sorry had to be said
Old 6 Nov 2007, 19:09 (Ref:2061427)   #4
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe that is why they tried to invade us twice and got whupped (with a teeny bit of help to us from some island in the North sea).
Old 22 Nov 2007, 17:39 (Ref:2073664)   #5
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It kinda goes against Tony George's original plan of a oval only, US-centric series, all this racing abroad and on road circuits.

I hope the IRL considers the UK for it's next foray overseas. It'll probably never happen but here's hoping.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 18:40 (Ref:2073698)   #6
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk
It kinda goes against Tony George's original plan of a oval only, US-centric series, all this racing abroad and on road circuits.

I hope the IRL considers the UK for it's next foray overseas. It'll probably never happen but here's hoping.
We've got a perfectly Oval at Rockingham, and Germany with Eurospeedway, I'd love to see it happen, i'd definately be at the Rock!!
Old 23 Nov 2007, 02:52 (Ref:2073934)   #7
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will probably depend on wheter or not they think that there is a market for the IRL overseas that there isn't here in America. I think that a street or road circut would be a good idea, if they just had one or two a year.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 14:27 (Ref:2074195)   #8
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm. Well CC seems to have determined there is not as much market here as they thought, so now the possibility exists of the IRL stalking CC through the underbrush of European venues in search of a market.

Just shoot me now.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 24 Nov 2007, 14:30 (Ref:2074690)   #9
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think it would be a pretty bad idea, in terms of costs for teams, ROI for sponsors, and appeal for its core audience. there's already a lot of competition in europe at that level of product anyway (GP2, CCWS, A1GP), so it'd be pretty hard for them to really make a lot of headway...
Old 25 Nov 2007, 17:02 (Ref:2075233)   #10
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Tony will probably push for Canada and Mexico and that's it. CC's Mexico City was another flop this year, so maybe he can get this contract from them. It would mean he can grab one or two Mexicans into his series again with Mexican backing. But... I don't see them going anywhere else.
Old 25 Nov 2007, 17:38 (Ref:2075253)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi
i think it would be a pretty bad idea, in terms of costs for teams, ROI for sponsors, and appeal for its core audience. there's already a lot of competition in europe at that level of product anyway (GP2, CCWS, A1GP), so it'd be pretty hard for them to really make a lot of headway...
Whilst it is true that there are already a number of single seater categories racing in Europe, I would argue that the IRL can offer a different product over its competitors which could see a couple of European races become a success, for as has been said, they could race at the Rockingham or Eurospeedway ovals. I suspect that any move would be sponsor driven and whether there would be sufficient exposure in Europe and the US to make such a race viable.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 13:52 (Ref:2075797)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think IRL's prime challenge is to be successful at home.

CC developed their overseas activities only to survive to a lack of interest in the States.

Therefore I wish they could keep stars and stripes
Old 27 Nov 2007, 00:40 (Ref:2076162)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The lure of overseas $$$ will always be there though.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 07:20 (Ref:2076274)   #14
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
The lure of overseas $$$ will always be there though.
Obviously; that's the reason why IRL hold a race in Japan.

But for the rest, well, alongside F1, in the global motorsport there is room for only one more extremely successful series, and that place is currently taken by CC
Old 27 Nov 2007, 18:07 (Ref:2076670)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hopefully IRL will not go abroad more than just Motegi. It sends out the wrong message - we are hopeless in our home market.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 18:47 (Ref:2076710)   #16
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think that many international races would work, but maybe they should ship some Indy Lights cars over to Europe in an "IndyCars Europe"...
Old 27 Nov 2007, 22:22 (Ref:2076858)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the IRL and TG are smart they wouldn't go to Europe. The series isn't blowing the US away but I don't quite see what Europe can bring the series, especially when the market is one the IRL doesn't need to break into especially when they are trying to make progress in the states. If anything wasn't successsful it would only make the series weaker if they ventured to Europe and it didn't pull off similar to previous CC projects in Europe? Anyway like I said I don't believe Europe is what the IRL needs or what Europe needs.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 02:32 (Ref:2077000)   #18
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
can we try and stay focussed on the Indycar series please and not champcar