Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 22 Nov 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3782204)   #3421
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Tim, I read that the rfl increase on diesel cars (not vans) was only on new sales, not on existing...... I’ll check again!

Yep, that’s how the guardian website reports it.
Hopefully you're correct as the tables they show are said to come straight from the budgy book. never trust the BBC to get anything correct.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 14:47 (Ref:3782216)   #3422
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Hopefully you're correct as the tables they show are said to come straight from the budgy book. never trust the BBC to get anything correct.
From another internet source.....

New diesel cars failing to meet the latest emissions standards will face a tax increase in April, to fund a new £220m clean air fund, Hammond announced. The Chancellor said such vehicles will be subjected to a one-band increase in the first year vehicle excise duty (VED) rate.

And another....

Owners of new diesel cars will be hit with higher taxes.....

Old 22 Nov 2017, 16:20 (Ref:3782232)   #3423
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

New diesel cars failing to meet the latest emissions standards will face a tax increase in April, to fund a new £220m clean air fund, Hammond announced. The Chancellor said such vehicles will be subjected to a one-band increase in the first year vehicle excise duty (VED) rate.

And another....

They'll have to go for the electric market soon ...
Old 22 Nov 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3782233)   #3424
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:

And another....

So it's pretty much going to affect no one, anyone who is buying a new car themselves isn't going to worry about £30-£50 more tax.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3782235)   #3425
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
They'll have to go for the electric market soon ...
Iím sure it will happen eventually, Grant, but sales are still so small (as a percentage of total), probably less of a priority.....
Old 22 Nov 2017, 19:43 (Ref:3782260)   #3426
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Got my Winter Fuel Allowance today - just in time to pay for my race licence medical :-)
Thankyou all workers & taxpayers

Oooh - that's something to look forward to........will pay a chunk of my car hire in Tenerife, where I'm spending most of December as a way of cutting my heating costs
Old 22 Nov 2017, 20:54 (Ref:3782272)   #3427
Colin McKay
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I might even fit a nice small block Chevy engine in the Landcrusier, that should cut the pollution down.
When Dartford crossing was boll*xed (most Fridays) I couldn't divert through Blackwall with my Sprinter without incurring the horrendous LEZ charge, but the ancient rv with the 7 litre (petrol) Chevy V8 and 9mpg when towing was fine
Old 22 Nov 2017, 20:58 (Ref:3782274)   #3428
Colin McKay
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A friend currently in Cuba sent me this. Rather nice don't you think?
Attached Thumbnails
t (2).JPG  

Last edited by Colin McKay; 22 Nov 2017 at 21:07.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 05:30 (Ref:3782369)   #3429
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Yes, and a proper Skoda- without any VW underpinnings..... Does it have correct engine etc? I understand a lot of classics over there have been swapped onto other oily bits!

I've always wanted a 130RS. Found this picture of the car used for homologation pics ....
Attached Thumbnails
skodahomologation_form_number_1668_group_2_3.jpg  
Old 23 Nov 2017, 06:21 (Ref:3782372)   #3430
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
They are rather pretty. Skoda GB I believe own a pale blue one. When I was at school we had a Czechoslovakian music teacher who had the saloon version, also in red.

Skoda always has a fine display of its heritage at Techno Classica Essen. Done some 'Superb' stuff in the past.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 06:27 (Ref:3782373)   #3431
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Yes, and a proper Skoda- without any VW underpinnings..... Does it have correct engine etc? I understand a lot of classics over there have been swapped onto other oily bits!

I've always wanted a 130RS. Found this picture of the car used for homologation pics ....
There must be some old body moulds left over from the Super Saloon era somewhere, Mike!

Some years ago I had the long-term use of a 130 saloon. It wasn't running too well & went in to the local garage, a Skoda dealer, for service. At the time they were preparing a rally car for a local bank manager so they had a rummage in the spares & came up with some different carb jets that they fitted to 'my' car. Ran like a dream after that!
Old 23 Nov 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3782426)   #3432
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Will be needed for a while yet. I doubt the residents of Attleborough would relish being blown up due to a leaking main!

In any case, once something has gone through the approval and schudling process and contractors have been contracted, it will happen. It will cost even if it doesn't happen!

Mentioning which.

The hell that is the M1 around J24.

When they did the roundabout refurm a couple of years ago they spent a million or more putting in a rather strange little loop thing to get traffic from the A50 off J24 and onto J23A a mile south. Now they are completely re-engineering the whole thing once more and that odd little section will be eradicated.

Likewise around the same time they finished making the A453 between J24 and the outskirts of Nottingham and Dual carriageway. Now they are ripping up the point at which it and the M1 southbound exit join the roundabout and and redesigning everything once more with another year of chaos before scheduled completion.

Money? Who cares? Efficiency? Who cares? Sensible planning assessment and control? You what? More then many people's jobs are worth.

Utter chaos around here most of the day.
J24 of M1:

Installation of a "smart motorway" - pah

A453 and roundsbouts - enabling the building of a huge rail linked "inland port" next to airport. - pah, and more hgv chaos in future years.

And they start building a new roundabout and access road between Castle Donington and the race track in January - pah

All at the same time. You couldnt make it up
Old 23 Nov 2017, 17:43 (Ref:3782463)   #3433
Alan Morgan
Subscriber
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Continuing the Skoda theme...

Back in the 90s, due to business problems I was forced to swap my Integrale for something more - ahem - affordable. I bought a Skoda Estelle 120S (well, if you're going to economise you may as well do it properly).

Apart from the front disc brakes, which had less friction material than most modern mountain bikes, it was great. Not a spot of rust on the body, nice slick gearchange, reasonable handling (as long as you didn't need to change direction suddenly once committed to a corner) and a dead simple engine.

A complete replacement exhaust was £30, servicing was all the things we old farts would understand (points, plugs, air and oil filters) and I could park it anywhere.

I guess the Skoda has set the scene for my subsequent motoring. I'm now driving a 16-year old Golf Diesel with 180K on the clock and am struggling to find a reason to replace it...
Old 23 Nov 2017, 18:36 (Ref:3782470)   #3434
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post

Back in the 90s, due to business problems I was forced to swap my Integrale for something more - ahem - affordable. I bought a Skoda Estelle 120S (well, if you're going to economise you may as well do it properly).

Apart from the front disc brakes, which had less friction material than most modern mountain bikes, it was great. Not a spot of rust on the body, nice slick gearchange, reasonable handling (as long as you didn't need to change direction suddenly once committed to a corner) and a dead simple engine.

A complete replacement exhaust was £30, servicing was all the things we old farts would understand (points, plugs, air and oil filters) and I could park it anywhere.

I guess the Skoda has set the scene for my subsequent motoring. I'm now driving a 16-year old Golf Diesel with 180K on the clock and am struggling to find a reason to replace it...
Skoda's certainly didn't deserve their music hall joke image. My favourite moment was overtaking an XR3 pootling along on the M40 one day. That clearly dented his ego as he promptly re-passed me, only for me to repeat the procedure a mile or two later...

...and like you Alan, I'm quite happy with my near-15 year-old Alfa 156 JTD with 244,000km on the clock.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 18:48 (Ref:3782474)   #3435
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post

Long long time ago a neighbour and former colleague of mine ended up in an awkward life situation for a while and needed some form of transport.

Bought a Skoda 120 Coupe for about £50 iirc.

Rough but usable after a little fettling of the carb but the gear shift lever had broken so was either rather short or very loose - can't recall which.

Still, it worked for him for a few months until he got his life back together.
Closed Thread