Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 5 Dec 2017, 15:03 (Ref:3785263)   #3541
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
BMW used CAN bus wiring on the 1200GS motorcycle to save weight. Think first time used on a 2 wheeler. I replaced my 1150GS with one, and the electrics were a constant problem! Ironically my Ducati, a make with a supposed reputation for dodgy electrics, never had any problems, and still doesn't at 17 years old....
Old 5 Dec 2017, 15:31 (Ref:3785268)   #3542
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With reference to this business with the electrics on cars, I have noticed that every time improvements are made to pretty well everything, the manufacturers make the process more and more complex and complicated.

Not that I would do it nowadays, but to change brake pads 20 or 30 years ago was a few minutes job, which required just one, maybe two, pairs of pliers to pull the locking pins out of the pad retaining pins and a large screwdriver to prise the pistons apart.

Last time I did this for my partner, you need spanners, ratchet and sockets, something to suspend the callipers whilst you then changed pads, and the reverse for re-attaching.

How was that easier?

And as Grant mentions, to change a battery on many cars you need to connect another battery by jump leads whilst you swap over the new and old batteries so that you can retain all the old settings. On some cars you could even lose the use of radio if you don't know or can't remember the special code!

And to think that 50 years ago I built a car to go racing from a completely bare shell.
Old 5 Dec 2017, 16:54 (Ref:3785276)   #3543
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was asked by customer yesterday to reverse his car and trailer back to the workshop door. He had a brand new Audi of some sort. I was impressed with the sat nav display in front of him. It was blooming brilliant.The picture was just like having a camera on the front of the car just amazing.For sure I am glad I am not a modern day mechanic these days.
Old 5 Dec 2017, 17:21 (Ref:3785282)   #3544
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Iain, is there such a thing as a modern day mechanic in the car trade? Surely they are either technicians who can read what a computer is telling them is wrong, or a fitter who has been trained to replace parts whether they are needed or not?

On another track, why is it that manufacturers nowadays give so little consideration to the consequences of using small, cheap parts in their products that have built in obsolescence. One such part is fitted to my gas boiler to measure the water pressure inside the system. The sensor is of such poor quality that it requires changing at least once a year (the boiler's only 3.5 years old), and usually fails during the coldest spells. It's costing my gas supplier a fortune to keep coming back to change a tuppenny-ha'penny part that is just so badly designed.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 5 Dec 2017 at 17:37.
Old 5 Dec 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3785287)   #3545
Colin McKay
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
BMW used CAN bus wiring on the 1200GS motorcycle to save weight. Think first time used on a 2 wheeler. I replaced my 1150GS with one, and the electrics were a constant problem! Ironically my Ducati, a make with a supposed reputation for dodgy electrics, never had any problems, and still doesn't at 17 years old....
In the 70s a pal I shared a house with had a big Ducati which was his only form of transport. He came off shift at 11pm every night and we had a rota of standby drivers for foggy and/or rainy nights when the electrics were guaranteed to pack up. The call would come at any point up to midnight depending on how close he was to a working phone box when the inevitable happened
Old 5 Dec 2017, 21:04 (Ref:3785315)   #3546
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
O well enough of cars let's talk about the weather. Henley on Thames we are in double figures tomorrow. Then day after it's going to be -2 . WTF is going on . Ah and another thing anyway else watched the latest Williams DVD . It's well worth watching loads of unseen footage as well as my old mate Dave Brodie f ing and blinding on it .
Old 5 Dec 2017, 21:08 (Ref:3785316)   #3547
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!
Even though these "modern" new fangled cars are supposed to only use a small amount of electricity when they are left parked up the battery will go flat after a while, the more upmarket the car is the worse it and it's not uncommon to only last a few weeks if not used. The recovery/breakdown guys are always in the long term car parks with jump packs/leads.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Dec 2017, 01:38 (Ref:3785353)   #3548
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Even though these "modern" new fangled cars are supposed to only use a small amount of electricity when they are left parked up the battery will go flat after a while, the more upmarket the car is the worse it and it's not uncommon to only last a few weeks if not used. The recovery/breakdown guys are always in the long term car parks with jump packs/leads.
Perhaps some of the comments I have seen over the past few days about "smart" management of the battery based on changes in use patterns and the resultant effects on whatever data is being collected from the battery are also somewhat worrying.

Here I think it was just a problem with some aspect of the on board computer network going into hibernation and failing to respond on a restart.

It looks like it may be sold now. Someone has made an offer to take it as it is today and I think they will accept the deal rather than keep funding insurance and going for more cash by spending on MOT and negotiating anyway on a couple of tyres, maybe brake pads and the radio/info display.

If it hangs about much longer they may have to keep it on the road into the new year. Better to move it on now.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 04:37 (Ref:3785370)   #3549
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
At the moment my Saab has s habit of dropping into limp mode. Switching off sometimes clears it as does disconnecting the battery. According to the reader it is something to do with the wastegate circuit. The CAN bus has also failed at the rear meaning the brake lights are stuck on.

Nothing is mechanically "wrong" with the thing, just an electronic fault. Which makes it basically worthless

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Dec 2017, 06:53 (Ref:3785376)   #3550
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
O well enough of cars let's talk about the weather. Henley on Thames we are in double figures tomorrow. Then day after it's going to be -2 . WTF is going on . Ah and another thing anyway else watched the latest Williams DVD . It's well worth watching loads of unseen footage as well as my old mate Dave Brodie f ing and blinding on it .
I watched the film on you tube as few weeks ago, very interesting and all the more entertaining by having the usual types of comments from 'The Brode'!
Old 6 Dec 2017, 11:40 (Ref:3785413)   #3551
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
At the moment my Saab has s habit of dropping into limp mode. Switching off sometimes clears it as does disconnecting the battery. According to the reader it is something to do with the wastegate circuit. The CAN bus has also failed at the rear meaning the brake lights are stuck on.

Nothing is mechanically "wrong" with the thing, just an electronic fault. Which makes it basically worthless

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Frustrating Max.

So far mine has never dropped into limp mode but the engine warning light has come up a few times. Lots of little rubber pipes running hither and thither atop the engine, mostly so old they no longer push on and stay on. So have slowly changed them over the years.

Looking at something else recently I stumbled across the last unchanged pipe - the shortest one hidden below some other stuff. Thought I would change it as a precaution - it fell apart as I removed it.

Apart from that the parking sensors stopped working some years ago not long after I had the tow bar fitted and the passenger side mirror "parking aid" feature is at best erratic but I think that is to do with something sticking or a connection in mirror housing since pushing the mirror around a bit seems to be able to bring it back to life sometimes.

It is odd that the market has decided that more and more complicated and powerful vehicles are required, built to last longer than ever in terms of body structures, engines and suspension (maybe except springs!) are concerned and then we run them on roads that are so congested that performance cannot matter much and scrap them anyway well before thier engineering design life expires because the clever electronics become too expensive to repair or replace.

Utterly bonkers.

I see Lamborghini are launching an SUV. I hope have all pplaced you orders for one. Clearly a sensible buy for the enthusiast super car collector in all of us. Especially the bright yellow version.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 12:23 (Ref:3785418)   #3552
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
We ain’t seen nothing yet, Grant! I’ve just be reading about some of the tech that will be needed on level 3 autonomous cars. As well as all the sensors, cameras and radar, one manufacturer is trialling some sort of rotating laser fitted to their test cars......

BTW That Lambo SUV will be circa £165k- for that you could buy 6 Qashqai.....
Old 6 Dec 2017, 12:30 (Ref:3785421)   #3553
Colin McKay
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or fix a Saab!
Old 6 Dec 2017, 14:02 (Ref:3785447)   #3554
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire almost in Pakistan
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bring back the Morris Minor, simple, reliable, cheap. Sounds like me.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3785454)   #3555
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Bring back the Morris Minor, simple, reliable, cheap. Sounds like me.
Crikkeeeee Bob you just suggested something sensible
Closed Thread