Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 27 Jul 2019, 14:51 (Ref:3919587)   #76
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sat in the rain at Lydden waiting endlessly for the next race.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 27 Jul 2019, 17:45 (Ref:3919660)   #77
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, that was a very wet, very badly organised and very sparse event. The series needs more entries and a much better support series to get people to attend.

Plus side, other than the soaking wet finals which were a bit farcical, the action was really good, the cars are really loud and go quickly enough, some good driving from top names and a lot of overtakes. The random Brits did well and some unlucky not to progress further.

Has potential to be a success. Needs more entries and until then fewer gaps between races.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 07:24 (Ref:3919799)   #78
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gutted I can't make it too this as I was looking forward to it, but seams from all the comments that it's best to watch the Livestream. Plus the typical crap British summer weather not helping Things.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 21:02 (Ref:3920119)   #79
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to say that one of the biggest reasons for the good racing was NO JOKER LAP. You don't need one at Lydden, there are plenty of places to overtake. That was proven over the weekend and when a slow driver made a good start it made for great action. Some great defensive driving from Jordan versus Piquet today for example (at least looked that way on live stream).

WRX to take note.

(I do agree with jokers on tracks you can't overtake on, eg Silverstone, Loheac, Montalegre, etc. Of course you could just design the tracks better!)
Old 29 Jul 2019, 14:30 (Ref:3920246)   #80
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had to leave early on Saturday and, although I was annoyed at having to miss the semis and finals, it doesn't sound like I missed the nicest of conditions! Much more pleasant yesterday, though the same frustration with delays throughout the day.

The Titans are definitely quick and loud, my only real gripe with them is the look: some of the shells are OK, some look really ungainly. Think they'd have been much better off going with sleek RX Lite style shell for the whole field, then having more colourful liveries to distinguish between the cars.

Some good racing throughout and some very "robust" driving. Apparently there were penalties for corner cutting, but a lot of drivers seemed to be majorly trimming the grass at North Bend. As said above I think the absence of joker laps made a massive difference, most of the races (when they eventually came) were close.

Nice to see an eight car Supercar final as well. Munnich was in a class of his own, though notable that Godfrey wasn't that far behind him. Impressive drive from Donnelly as well, he didn't seem to take long to get to grips with the C4.

Shame that there were issues with the Doran RS200: was looking forward to seeing that car getting thrashed again!
Old 29 Jul 2019, 19:28 (Ref:3920299)   #81
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From Dan Wright's commentary it would of been a 10 car Supercar Final, if Mike Mannings Fiesta and Tristan Ovenden's DS3 had been able to race.

I disagree with the badly organised comment, they had a TV timetable to stick to, and one of the cost savings mentioned was less mechanics, so as they seemed to have a heat every hour, I thought they did well to always field 3 full five car heats.

Gaps always seemed to be a thing when live TV is involved and at least with Lydden it gives a chase to walk round and view from a different spot.

Mark Donnelly did look good in the C4 and initially was as quick as Renny Munich off the line in the final. Did well to get a front row start, after taking joker in Q3 when it had been abandoned due to standing water, and missing it in Q4.

As for the Titans, I wasn't sure at first by their look, but the racing in the heats was simply amazing. So good to see a full grid going into Chessons, rather than the usual split for the joker.

A thoroughly enjoyable race meeting, especially impressive as it was only their second event.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 08:07 (Ref:3920357)   #82
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
I disagree with the badly organised comment, they had a TV timetable to stick to, and one of the cost savings mentioned was less mechanics, so as they seemed to have a heat every hour, I thought they did well to always field 3 full five car heats.
Less mechanics is only relevant if there are different teams and cars. Since Pucher takes care of the cars he also decides the amount of mechanics.

Many who do rallycross ask friends and experienced ones if they can help. It doesn't have to be like WRX and I doubt there are that many mechanics who makes a living of off rallycross.

I am sceptical about the cost savings. I don't doubt it's a lot cheaper than WRX but I really hope they add drivers like Rooke and other talented rallycrossers in the future. Why talk about a low cost rallycross series if you are just going to fill it with rally and racing drivers?
Old 30 Jul 2019, 11:45 (Ref:3920387)   #83
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Why talk about a low cost rallycross series if you are just going to fill it with rally and racing drivers?

To attract fans who know those drivers and will make the effort to go and see them. Once there they will see the other rallycross series and hopefully get to know those drivers as well.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 08:46 (Ref:3920507)   #84
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
Badly organised is perhaps a bit strong, but there was definitely disorganisation with the running of the event. I also noted that a lot of things on the day (race structure for example) was not run as per the published regulations.

As you say though, it's a new series and they are finding their feet.
Old 6 Aug 2019, 08:23 (Ref:3921629)   #85
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Forgive the double post, but a few photos from Lydden:

More here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57710130022372

As usual!
Old 6 Aug 2019, 09:49 (Ref:3921644)   #86
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The Titans cars are a bit odd looking (I think it's partly down to the very long nose - there's a lot of bodywork ahead of the front wheels).

Have to say that the Munnich Seat is a good looking car though
Old 6 Aug 2019, 10:12 (Ref:3921650)   #87
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The Titans cars are a bit odd looking (I think it's partly down to the very long nose - there's a lot of bodywork ahead of the front wheels).
Yeah. The Audi and Mercedes bodied cars didn't look too bad, but the other shapes looked really ungainly.

Although I can see why they have opted for different designs, I think the approach that the RX Lites have taken would be my preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Have to say that the Munnich Seat is a good looking car though
I have always thought that the Ibiza is a good looking Supercar, but I think it looks even better in that grey livery.
Old 18 Oct 2019, 11:09 (Ref:3935402)   #88
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Season finale with double points. Should only be settled in the Sunday final. 15 cars again because apart from the test car that's all they have made.

For next year they need, better support classes and more regular entrants. As far as I can tell Andrew Jordan, Nelson Piquet, Tom Coronel, Alexander Wurz and Stéphane Sarrazin all quit the series with Craig Breen and Hayden Paddon possibly quiting as well. Maybe they were just offered a free ride for one or two rounds but it doesn't look good either way.
Old 18 Oct 2019, 13:41 (Ref:3935429)   #89
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClarrpz View Post
Season finale with double points. Should only be settled in the Sunday final. 15 cars again because apart from the test car that's all they have made.

For next year they need, better support classes and more regular entrants. As far as I can tell Andrew Jordan, Nelson Piquet, Tom Coronel, Alexander Wurz and Stéphane Sarrazin all quit the series with Craig Breen and Hayden Paddon possibly quiting as well. Maybe they were just offered a free ride for one or two rounds but it doesn't look good either way.
I think most of them, if not all, have other commitments. Titans isn't the most intriguing series to compete in either I would say.
Old 18 Oct 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3935446)   #90
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClarrpz View Post
I suspect that quite a few of the drivers were being paid to be there. I don't know if I have been paying less attention, but the social media presence of the series seems to have declined over the last few months, to the point where I have missed a few of the rounds.

I assume that the aim of the inaugural season is to attract drivers who will pay to be a part of things next year. If they succeed with that then I can see the series expanding, but if they don't then I can't see it lasting long.
Old 18 Oct 2019, 19:35 (Ref:3935496)   #91
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Titans RX commercial director Atte Varsta said that next year the series may visit Finland.
Old 18 Oct 2019, 20:32 (Ref:3935504)   #92
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I suspect that quite a few of the drivers were being paid to be there.
My thoughts too, always felt that Topi, Breen and AJ etc. were all there paid by Max Pucher to help raise the profile of the series. AJ has driven for MJP before so already got a sponsorship tie in.

I've not watched much beyond the first race as I felt there were a couple of issues. First, the weird commentary live at the track meant that it was weird volumes and levels. But mainly the cars are just weird. They look like strange knock offs of proper RX cars but wrong ride height etc. And Pucher made a big thing about the sound but they actually sound arse compared to a legit supercar.
Old 20 Oct 2019, 18:18 (Ref:3935913)   #93
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Kevin Hansen crowned champion. Both Timmy and Heikkinen ran into issues during the finals today and yesterday.

I watched some clips posted on Facebook but to be honest I wasn't that interested. Pucher can call it real rallycross all he wants but in the end I feel like this season has been kinda hollow, without merit and filled with paid drivers.

The cars still look really goofy.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 09:24 (Ref:3936027)   #94
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to Buxtehude this weekend.
Great nature, nice envirement, it's about the only thing i did see...
15 cars, some buggy's, wich are not cars to me. This meens from the end of heat 3 unil the semi final more the 2.5 hours looking at the trees and the sky.

Rubbing is racing, some say. Don't know how to name this. Banging is racing?

This series wil never lift of, at least 10-12 drivers drive for free. Hansen family is there without spending a penny, dad is even de racing director or something.

Cars are quick, but in no way as quick as a WRX.
Cars are also not good looking, The look designd in the 80's, with the lifting doors...

Only a few spectators around the track as wel. (weather did not help on the first day)
Feel very sorry for Mister Pucher, as he is a nice guy.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 08:11 (Ref:3936189)   #95
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
They look like strange knock offs of proper RX cars but wrong ride height etc. And Pucher made a big thing about the sound but they actually sound arse compared to a legit supercar.
As silly as it might sound, I think they are too loud: there was no distinct engine note, just volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
The cars still look really goofy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mivec View Post
Cars are also not good looking, The look designd in the 80's, with the lifting doors....
Yeah, some of the bodyshells worked better than others, but they all seemed a bit awkward looking to me. I hoped that they might work on that aspect for next year, but I think Dan Rooke was driving a 2020 car at Buxtehude and it looked just as goofy as the 2019 cars (though the "Mercedes" body is at least the best of the bunch).

Some of the cars looked very rough under the skin as well, though I appreciate that the field was put together in a short period of time, so I'd expect them to be better finished next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivec View Post
Rubbing is racing, some say. Don't know how to name this. Banging is racing?
I wonder if the amount of contact will drop off when the bill for damage is being paid for by the drivers?