Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Apr 2017, 08:39 (Ref:3729073)   #1
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
2018 F1 silly season.

Only 3 races into the season and the rumours have already started to circulate. Thought I'd get a thread up to discuss everything in the one place.

Rumours currently in circulation:

1) Sauber to sign an engine deal with Honda.
2) Alonso to Renault next year.
3) Raikkonen won't get another year at Ferrari.

Sauber and Honda rumours have been around for over a year now. I think it will happen. Sauber want's out of the Ferrari deal. Ferrari have held them to ransom for too long, making them them agree to whatever Ferrari want's, or else. Sauber have had enough. The Honda deal is expected to be for grade A engines, not the grade B engines Ferrari have been supplying Sauber since day one.

Alonso to Renault is interesting. In a interview a few days ago, Cyril Abiteboul didn't say no to Alonso next year. Alonso and Hulkenberg will be a strong pairing in the Renault.

Raikkonen booted from Ferrari? Hopefully true. Should've never been offered the Ferrari seat in the first place. He only got he deal because Ferrari wanted to prove a point to Alonso.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 08:45 (Ref:3729075)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Enstone's development could get to a nice point by the start if next season if Alonso signs.... I think he would give anything just to get a sniff of a win at present.

Kimi was re-signed as a number 2 and that has been clear from the outset despite all the hype suggesting he was there as a defacto contender. His replacement will also be signed as a number 2 so that will be a key consideration for any of the possible replacements.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 11:57 (Ref:3729118)   #3
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess:

Ferrari: Vettel - Sainz
Mercedes: Hamilton - Bottas
Red Bull: Verstappen - Ricciardo
Force India: Pérez - Ocon
Williams: Massa - Stroll
Toro Rosso: Kvyat - Gasly
Haas: Grosjean - Magnussen
Renault: Hülkenberg - Alonso
Sauber: Wehrlein - Ericsson
McLaren: Vandoorne - Norris
Old 25 Apr 2017, 17:06 (Ref:3729159)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If - and it's a big if - Alonso leaves McLaren, I wonder if they might bring back Button for a year while Norris races in F2.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 03:24 (Ref:3729224)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
My guess:

Ferrari: Vettel - Sainz
Mercedes: Hamilton - Bottas
Red Bull: Verstappen - Ricciardo
Force India: Pérez - Ocon
Williams: Massa - Stroll
Toro Rosso: Kvyat - Gasly
Haas: Grosjean - Magnussen
Renault: Hülkenberg - Alonso
Sauber: Wehrlein - Ericsson
Would prefer Mr Ricciardo at Ferrari and Mr Sainz in the Red Bull... not likely however,,,
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 Apr 2017, 08:02 (Ref:3729244)   #6
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Would prefer Mr Ricciardo at Ferrari and Mr Sainz in the Red Bull... not likely however,,,
Why not? Ricciardo sounds like a good Italian name for the Italian team.

The Strategy Group meeting yesterday may have put an end to the Halo, shark fins and T wings for 2018! Yay!

The FIA and Liberty Media have also decided to invite a representative from every team to the Strategy Group meeting. Not just rep's from the Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, Williams, McLaren and Force India teams. A very welcome move IMO.

http://www.fia.com/news/constructive...ion-held-paris
Old 26 Apr 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3729250)   #7
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
The FIA and Liberty Media have also decided to invite a representative from every team to the Strategy Group meeting. Not just rep's from the Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, Williams, McLaren and Force India teams. A very welcome move IMO.

http://www.fia.com/news/constructive...ion-held-paris
But no vote it would seem!
Old 26 Apr 2017, 12:49 (Ref:3729288)   #8
Formulahistory
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
If - and it's a big if - Alonso leaves McLaren, I wonder if they might bring back Button for a year while Norris races in F2.
If Button wants...
Old 26 Apr 2017, 14:44 (Ref:3729316)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
personal preference but if the 2nd Ferrari seat becomes available i would like to see what Perez could do with it.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 22:43 (Ref:3729385)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ferrari might be an awkward move for any hotshoe under the current management. It's almost like Benetton in the Briatore Schi era.
Old 28 Apr 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3729623)   #11
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
personal preference but if the 2nd Ferrari seat becomes available i would like to see what Perez could do with it.
Agreed. But I fear Perez (or any driver going to Ferrari for the next few years) will be playing second fiddle to Vettel. I think all the drivers are aware of this, and someone like Perez would probably be happy take the cheque and do as he's asked. Can't see anywhere else where he'd have a chance of winning a race or two, and getting paid handsomely for it. He'd do better than KR for sure.
Old 28 Apr 2017, 10:32 (Ref:3729628)   #12
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Agreed. But I fear Perez (or any driver going to Ferrari for the next few years) will be playing second fiddle to Vettel. I think all the drivers are aware of this, and someone like Perez would probably be happy take the cheque and do as he's asked. Can't see anywhere else where he'd have a chance of winning a race or two, and getting paid handsomely for it. He'd do better than KR for sure.
A bit Eddie Irvine-ish then?
He didn't seem to mind at the time, and made a lot of money (which he invested smartly, didn't he?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
Hardly your dream line up, in terms of experience (1 full year combined) - not taking anything away from the talent of these guys of course.
I can't see that happen. Norris will be put through GP2/F2 before he goes to F1.
Old 28 Apr 2017, 15:29 (Ref:3729686)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Checo deserves a second chance in a top team, but whether he'll be a number two, an occasional beater or a potential champion remains to be seen
Old 28 Apr 2017, 18:44 (Ref:3729716)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Irvine said that being Schumacher's team-mate was like being hit over the head with a cricket bat every two weeks - but he was certainly well remunerated for the experience.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3729861)   #15
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Irvine said that being Schumacher's team-mate was like being hit over the head with a cricket bat every two weeks - but he was certainly well remunerated for the experience.
Plus, it seemed to fit in with his playboy lifestyle!
Old 29 Apr 2017, 11:17 (Ref:3729865)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I love the way it has been for the Motormouth Eddie in the world with the best racing life he has had in the sport and he has certainly been a great more fun than others in the sport
Old 30 Apr 2017, 10:38 (Ref:3730039)   #17
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Rumours currently in circulation:

1) Sauber to sign an engine deal with Honda.
2) Alonso to Renault next year.
3) Raikkonen won't get another year at Ferrari.
This is now confirmed.

This does free up an engine supply deal for Ferrari in 2018. McLaren-Ferrari anyone?? Could it be? Would Ferrari provide 'Spec A' engines for the first time ever to a customer team?
Old 30 Apr 2017, 14:32 (Ref:3730106)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
This does free up an engine supply deal for Ferrari in 2018. McLaren-Ferrari anyone?? Could it be? Would Ferrari provide 'Spec A' engines for the first time ever to a customer team?
I find this inconceivable.
Old 30 Apr 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3730135)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

McLaren-Ferrari? Leave it out
Old 30 Apr 2017, 20:56 (Ref:3730194)   #20
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
McLaren-Ferrari? Leave it out
Where is that quote from Gordon Murray about Ferrari's engineering?
Old 30 Apr 2017, 22:21 (Ref:3730208)   #21
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
It doesn't appear when I use my iPad. Go figure.

If the Spaniard goes back to Renault, would he be the first driver to spend three separate stints with the same team?
Old 1 May 2017, 14:09 (Ref:3730365)   #22
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
OK, here's a set of contingent scenarios. Sauber agree to take Matsushita as part of their Honda deal, and as Ericsson's backers own the team, there's no room at the inn for Wehrlein. Räikkönen is finally let go by Ferrari, who give Pérez the nod. Wehrlein rejoins Ocon at Force India, and Mercedes effectively have a (pink-hued) junior team.
Old 2 May 2017, 11:41 (Ref:3730539)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
OK, here's a set of contingent scenarios. Sauber agree to take Matsushita as part of their Honda deal, and as Ericsson's backers own the team, there's no room at the inn for Wehrlein. Räikkönen is finally let go by Ferrari, who give Pérez the nod. Wehrlein rejoins Ocon at Force India, and Mercedes effectively have a (pink-hued) junior team.
Hmmm, yes that's all quite possible. But like I said before, the Ferrari drive should it become available, could be difficult for any hotshot if they are expected to just play second fiddle like Kimi has. That will only suit a handful of drivers to be honest. Force India may not want to put all their eggs in a Mercedes basket regarding drivers either. It might save the a few bob on engines but it might prevent them attracting other talented wallets should Checo depart.
Old 2 May 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3730545)   #24
Formulahistory
Veteran

Quote:
Matsushita at Sauber isn't for sure - it's not part of the deal.
And I also heard that the Sauber investors are not very happy with the performance of Ericsson.
Old 2 May 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3730567)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

I can see Matsushita ending up there, but I hope it's not at the extent of Wehrlein