Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 19 May 2015, 15:10 (Ref:3539340)   #1
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BMW rumour for Le Mans 2017

Just seen this. Would be great.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...mp1-programme/
Old 19 May 2015, 15:29 (Ref:3539349)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
It makes sense for them to try LMP1 rather than F1 has it likes to compete against the other german manufacturers and its products fall between Audi and porsche
Old 19 May 2015, 15:46 (Ref:3539352)   #3
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Maybe deserves its own thread but was discussed earlier:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...88#post3538988
Old 19 May 2015, 17:49 (Ref:3539395)   #4
GriffM3
Racer

United States
Houston, TX
GriffM3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope this is true, it would be so awesome to BMW back with an LMP programme and might spur Mercedes to consider it as well with audi and BMW in the fray. How awesome would it be for Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Toyota and Nissan to be battling it out? Gives me chills thinking about the possibilities.
Old 19 May 2015, 17:58 (Ref:3539398)   #5
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
If Audi does indeed drop out of LMP1 (sorry!), this would certainly be a good replacement. We'll see how this pans out.
Old 19 May 2015, 19:20 (Ref:3539423)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think it is more likely to make Audi stay
Old 19 May 2015, 19:55 (Ref:3539433)   #7
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fingers crossed in case someone drops.
Old 19 May 2015, 20:01 (Ref:3539436)   #8
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If this came off it would be incredible. As mentioned elsewhere a similar route to Nissan could be beneficial and if the ACO can get the rules right it could lure them in.

Balancing all that would be difficult, but adding BMW to what we've already got is beyond my wildest dreams.
Old 19 May 2015, 22:19 (Ref:3539473)   #9
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With MB and Audi doing so well in motor racing BMW really should do something to get noticed and P1 is certainly the best option for them. Considering they actually make carbon tub hybrid road cars, they fit the model for P1 more than any of the other brands there.

Meanwhile Jaguar refuses to race a GT3 F-Type when there is a GT3 version of all of it's rivals. Putting a bunch of celebs in the Mille Miglia year after year is growing tiresome. Hard to watch a brand with such pedigree throwing everything away.

Having BMW in P1 would be amazing.
Old 20 May 2015, 05:34 (Ref:3539535)   #10
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
With MB and Audi doing so well in motor racing BMW really should do something to get noticed and P1 is certainly the best option for them. Considering they actually make carbon tub hybrid road cars, they fit the model for P1 more than any of the other brands there.

Meanwhile Jaguar refuses to race a GT3 F-Type when there is a GT3 version of all of it's rivals. Putting a bunch of celebs in the Mille Miglia year after year is growing tiresome. Hard to watch a brand with such pedigree throwing everything away.

Having BMW in P1 would be amazing.
It's the Tata Group's fault for not bringing Jaguar back to racing. But that's another story...

While I'm excited to see BMW return in LMP1, the question is how to make a competitive car? It's either going with the same (and boring) proven route or pursue a different approach like Nissan.

If BMW want to go for the latter, it'll have to make it distinctive from the rest of the pack!
Old 20 May 2015, 06:13 (Ref:3539544)   #11
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
It's the Tata Group's fault for not bringing Jaguar back to racing. But that's another story...

While I'm excited to see BMW return in LMP1, the question is how to make a competitive car? It's either going with the same (and boring) proven route or pursue a different approach like Nissan.

If BMW want to go for the latter, it'll have to make it distinctive from the rest of the pack!
What?!? The cars are a lot more different compared to each other then in F1 for example. Also every cars has it's own unique engine and hybrid architecture.
Old 20 May 2015, 06:30 (Ref:3539547)   #12
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

All 3 current factory cars are mid engine part-time 4wd, but far from boring. If they want to be different, going fwd or front engine would be following Nissan. So if there is something they wish to pioneer, they need the blessings from the rule makers. Thats probably what he meant in this quote
Quote:
I don’t think we need to follow what everyone does. The WEC is still following and what we need to figure out is a new path that suits BMW, like with ‘i’.
Sounds like he wants rules to change so they could do something unique that would be recognizable to their 'i' brand.
Old 20 May 2015, 07:13 (Ref:3539552)   #13
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokata View Post
What?!? The cars are a lot more different compared to each other then in F1 for example. Also every cars has it's own unique engine and hybrid architecture.
I know that they're different as far as the drive-train and hybrid technology goes. But for the untrained eye (barring the different-colored liveries), all 3 current manufacturers barring Nissan have fielded mid-engined LMP1 cars.

Like I said, I'll applaud BMW if they tackle Le Mans differently other than going conventional. If they want to put the engine (or a big electric motor/battery) beside the driver, I'm fine with that!
Old 20 May 2015, 07:22 (Ref:3539557)   #14
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I know that they're different as far as the drive-train and hybrid technology goes. But for the untrained eye (barring the different-colored liveries), all 3 current manufacturers barring Nissan have fielded mid-engined LMP1 cars.
In 1999, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota and Audi were all mid engined rear drive and nobody complained it was all the same and boring. We must have riduclously high standards if we're complaining that 4 different engine layouts, 2 different aspiration types, 2 different fuel types and 4 different hybrid system is boring.
Old 20 May 2015, 13:53 (Ref:3539653)   #15
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
In 1999, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota and Audi were all mid engined rear drive and nobody complained it was all the same and boring. We must have riduclously high standards if we're complaining that 4 different engine layouts, 2 different aspiration types, 2 different fuel types and 4 different hybrid system is boring.
+1
Old 20 May 2015, 14:43 (Ref:3539669)   #16
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
In 1998 and 1999 there was more aerodynamic differences between all cars.
There were cars with larger cabin, like Porsche, Nissan and Mercedes and with an identity mark front like Mercedes, BMW and Porsche and of course there were spider cars like BMW and Nissan 1999.
Old 20 May 2015, 16:00 (Ref:3539693)   #17
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Sounds like he wants rules to change so they could do something unique that would be recognizable to their 'i' brand.
Like I said in the other thread, sounds like just hot air. Nissan kept saying similar things before finally going ahead... with zero changes in the regs (thankfully).

Last edited by deggis; 20 May 2015 at 16:05.
Old 20 May 2015, 16:22 (Ref:3539695)   #18
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:

Like I said, I'll applaud BMW if they tackle Le Mans differently other than going conventional. If they want to put the engine (or a big electric motor/battery) beside the driver, I'm fine with that!
Question: do you want WEC to be a car show or a professional sport/racing series where the best car wins because it is the best and not because it is the most different?

Funny how now after Nissan and their PR-propaganda "conventional" has such a negative tone, as if it was somehow an easy and lazy route. It is only logical and lets say Darwinistic to follow a concept that has been proven as a winner. Didn't see many complaints back in Peugeot years when they at times used even the exactly same engine configuration than Audi.

Last edited by deggis; 20 May 2015 at 16:29.
Old 20 May 2015, 16:41 (Ref:3539699)   #19
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Question: do you want WEC to be a car show or a professional sport/racing series where the best car wins because it is the best and not because it is the most different?
I want a series where the best car wins, although having a bit of aesthetic feel might hook some new viewers!
Old 20 May 2015, 17:17 (Ref:3539711)   #20
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well i want good racing and interesting racing with new ideas and developments some of which will be successful other not but that is what makes things interesting rather than a boring one make/idea series
Old 20 May 2015, 17:39 (Ref:3539715)   #21
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you have too much of a good thing..
Old 20 May 2015, 19:56 (Ref:3539761)   #22
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Like I said in the other thread, sounds like just hot air. Nissan kept saying similar things before finally going ahead... with zero changes in the regs (thankfully).
Nissan just wanted something that they felt was closer to a road gtr and could use the flow-through concept. BMW is not planning on entering until the new rules are made. What better way to try and influence the rule makers then expressing interest but saying the wec could still be more 'innovative'? I'm pretty sure bmw know theyre saying "if" with these comments.
Old 21 May 2015, 00:23 (Ref:3539799)   #23
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Funny how now after Nissan and their PR-propaganda "conventional" has such a negative tone, as if it was somehow an easy and lazy route. It is only logical and lets say Darwinistic to follow a concept that has been proven as a winner. Didn't see many complaints back in Peugeot years when they at times used even the exactly same engine configuration than Audi.
Well said! Nissan's media hype won't last much, though, if their concept prove to be a complete failure by 2016/17, or so.(as judging on the first year is way too harsh)
Old 21 May 2015, 13:38 (Ref:3539916)   #24
GriffM3
Racer

United States
Houston, TX
GriffM3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know the target date for when the new LMP Regulations will be introduced?
Old 21 May 2015, 16:30 (Ref:3539959)   #25
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffM3 View Post
Does anyone know the target date for when the new LMP Regulations will be introduced?
Enforced or published? Enforced 2017 onwards, but the regs would have to be ready much earlier, lets say at latest in mid-2016 teams need to know what to design and even that is really late if the changes are big. Final ratification in late 2016 by FIA WMSC, but in this kind of cases that is mostly a rubber stamping process.

According to Neveu's comments in interviews sounds like they don't have yet clear idea what changes are even coming if any and obviously they want to see what happens in June.