Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 14 Jun 2017, 20:23 (Ref:3741377)   #101
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
SC365 saying that Porsche are denying pull out rumors until at least end of 2018:

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/p...1-exit-rumors/

However, the MSA article was written by the same guy who predicted the Audi Sport pull out a few months before it happened and chronicled Nissan's troubles in LMP1.
If Porsche leaves you would think Toyota would follow? Privateer LMP1 car makers and perhaps many teams like Rebellion. Maybe GTE will see an increase in profile too because of it.

I would like to see it myself. We could use a good shakeup.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 01:20 (Ref:3741480)   #102
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Not to stir the pot any further, but someone at the Mulsanne's Corner Facebook page reportedly was told by members of both Toyota and Porsche's teams that they expect both to possibly leave the WEC soon.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 03:55 (Ref:3741515)   #103
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Not to stir the pot any further, but someone at the Mulsanne's Corner Facebook page reportedly was told by members of both Toyota and Porsche's teams that they expect both to possibly leave the WEC soon.
I really don't understand why you can't (almost ever) post the link immediately before anyone even needs to ask...

If it is in the comments, then the link of the main post. The group is restricted to members but at least those with access can see and rest can request access.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 04:20 (Ref:3741517)   #104
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
It's in the comments, and you'll have to search for the SC365 article linked there to find the comments. Which is why I didn't bother to link to it, as well as the fact that not everyone here can see it:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/18574449098/

Employees from both teams have said that they expect one or the other, maybe even both, to pullout soon.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 04:33 (Ref:3741518)   #105
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Direct link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1857...5407383894099/

"I've heard both Toyota and Porsche are going to announce an exit, from employees within both teams."

For some reason in this context and based on the way this was said this I have a feeling "an employee" here can mean anything up to a car dealer. So I don't find this very credible. Or is the one who said this supposed some insider? At least I don't recognize that name.

Last edited by deggis; 15 Jun 2017 at 04:43.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 04:56 (Ref:3741521)   #106
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Even at that, I have a feeling that whatever happens this weekend might make or break Porsche or maybe Toyota being around much longer. They've milked the regs for what they were worth, and only because Toyota have a chip on their shoulder might they continue until they win LM to claim that they did it, maybe with or without Porsche.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 07:59 (Ref:3741542)   #107
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Direct link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1857...5407383894099/

"I've heard both Toyota and Porsche are going to announce an exit, from employees within both teams."

For some reason in this context and based on the way this was said this I have a feeling "an employee" here can mean anything up to a car dealer. So I don't find this very credible. Or is the one who said this supposed some insider? At least I don't recognize that name.
As written above, someone I know (and trust) from Porsche WEC told me the same.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 10:32 (Ref:3741563)   #108
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
That reminds me of back when the ITC went up in flames when all manufacturers decided to pull out at once.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3741566)   #109
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
That reminds me of back when the ITC went up in flames when all manufacturers decided to pull out at once.
Also after a period of brutally fast development and near unlimited spending...
Old 15 Jun 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3741570)   #110
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
One thing that does not add up is, what incentive would Toyota have to leave instantly as well? If Porsche exits, they can scoop up one LM win with basically minimal effort, why leave that on the table?
Old 15 Jun 2017, 11:17 (Ref:3741571)   #111
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sporting wise, I'd be pretty happy with private teams fighting for the win. Very 2004, 2005.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 11:20 (Ref:3741573)   #112
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
One thing that does not add up is, what incentive would Toyota have to leave instantly as well? If Porsche exits, they can scoop up one LM win with basically minimal effort, why leave that on the table?
Adding to this, these quotes from Rob Leupen from yesterday do not sound like Toyota has decided to pack up:

Quote:
“Nevertheless, for us, we have anticipated this and we would like to be here very much in 2020,” he said. “That’s where we have to fight hard for.”

***Should Toyota pull off an elusive victory on Sunday, Leupen said it would not impact the longevity of its program. “From my point of view, no.” he said. “I think if we would win here, you would like to defend your title, and not take it and turn your back and run away.”
Old 15 Jun 2017, 11:20 (Ref:3741574)   #113
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The question is if the FIA and ACO would keep the P1H class with just one team on the entry...
Old 15 Jun 2017, 11:24 (Ref:3741576)   #114
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
The question is if the FIA and ACO would keep the P1H class with just one team on the entry...
I can't see them basically disallowing Toyota to run a finished, legal car. That would probably poison the waters with Japan for a long, long time. Even the ACO wouldn't be as bone-headed...and one manufacturer on the grid is still better than none.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3741581)   #115
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only way I see Toyota leaving is when they decide to ditch the hybrids, which is the main reason why they have gone racing in the LMP1 class in the first place
Old 15 Jun 2017, 11:37 (Ref:3741584)   #116
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
I can't see them basically disallowing Toyota to run a finished, legal car. That would probably poison the waters with Japan for a long, long time. Even the ACO wouldn't be as bone-headed...and one manufacturer on the grid is still better than none.
Is it even a race, though, if only one team can win it? That's Corvette GT1 in ALMS 2009 level of lame.... and at least that farce wasn't for the overall win.

It' d definitely be more palatable for me if Toyota created the polite fiction of privateers running the cars. Have one be run under the Oreca banner, one as TOM's and maybe a third as SARD.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3741586)   #117
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Is it even a race, though, if only one team can win it? That's Corvette GT1 in ALMS 2009 level of lame.... and at least that farce wasn't for the overall win.
Well, it's not like that hasn't happened in the past before. If you discount the novelty of the first Diesel win, was 2006 any different?
Old 15 Jun 2017, 11:45 (Ref:3741588)   #118
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A scenario I was thinking is that the teams would run again next year but take 2019 off to work on their 2020 car so that the privateers would have a chance for overall victory in 2019. We will see at the press conference on Friday what the 2020 rules are going to look like and that might give us insight into the future program likelihood for Porsche and Toyota
Old 15 Jun 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3741598)   #119
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Well, it's not like that hasn't happened in the past before. If you discount the novelty of the first Diesel win, was 2006 any different?
Yes, because the Audis were part of the same class as the privateers and diesel engines were legal for all cars in the class. Whereas with P1L and P1H, hybrid-PUs are only available and legal for manufacturer entries, thus making them a separate class.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 12:47 (Ref:3741617)   #120
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes, because the Audis were part of the same class as the privateers and diesel engines were legal for all cars in the class. Whereas with P1L and P1H, hybrid-PUs are only available and legal for manufacturer entries, thus making them a separate class.
Right now they are not a separate class. They run to different technical regs but are scored in the same class. The LMP1 class went away When Rebellion left LMP1. You need a minimum of 3 entries in a class to make it a class.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 14:58 (Ref:3741655)   #121
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That's wrong. Hybrid is legal for all teams. Non-hybrid is allowed only for privateers but not for manufacturers.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3741863)   #122
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
True. Although practically Speed-King's point remains.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:33 (Ref:3741866)   #123
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi_S View Post
As written above, someone I know (and trust) from Porsche WEC told me the same.
When if I can ask?
Old 15 Jun 2017, 20:01 (Ref:3741895)   #124
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
As a GT fan first and foremost, I have these thoughts: I would think (and hope) that a theoretical Porsche LMP1 withdrawal would not affect the Porsche GT program. Does not bother me one bit if Porsche stopped LMP1. If they stopped the GT though, then I'd be very upset. As much as I hated to see the end of the Viper and Falken Porsche programs. Still cheering for Porsche LMP1 victory this year of course.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 20:15 (Ref:3741910)   #125
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
As a GT fan first and foremost, I have these thoughts: I would think (and hope) that a theoretical Porsche LMP1 withdrawal would not affect the Porsche GT program. Does not bother me one bit if Porsche stopped LMP1. If they stopped the GT though, then I'd be very upset. As much as I hated to see the end of the Viper and Falken Porsche programs. Still cheering for Porsche LMP1 victory this year of course.
I think there would be the proverbial icicles down below before the GT program was shuttered, especially with GTE/LM being competitive in 2 series. Now a car change from the 911 within a decade? That's another question and one that could melt down the servers here, S365 and Racer in minutes after an announcement like that.