Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Apr 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3812862)   #1276
August
Rookie

Finland
August should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't deny the development of this race format has a taste of IMSA protecting their property. Which is perfectly fine.

With a separate pit lane for the WEC, I don't think there would've been such big logistical issues even with the original plan. Of course, two races of 12h or a corresponding distance back-to-back might already have been excessive for the fans with the fans of IMSA and the WEC caring only about the respective series. Separate days for the two races makes it kinda easier for the fans, although a Friday race may be problematic for some fans. However, most importantly from IMSA's perspective, a longer race with more advanced prototypes following IMSA's race might have questioned IMSA's top billing at one of its marquee events.

Sebring is IMSA's property and for sure IMSA wants to ensure they get the top billing in one of the top events of sportscar racing. IMSA doesn't see themselves as a support series for the WEC and they shouldn't either. IMSA sees themselves as one of the premier sportscar championships in the world and wants to protect their Sebring 12h. It wouldn't even be fair for teams that have entered IMSA to race for Daytona, Sebring, Petit... overall wins to see another series overshadowing IMSA's race at Sebring.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3812864)   #1277
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Maybe this will make sense, maybe it won't.

Back when Sebring was the ALMS I would sit at the hairpin, completely sober, watching every second of the race, intently.

Since the P1s have been not allowed to return and DPs were winning I have more and more taken up the party mantle and stumbled around with drink in hand while the race was going on, interest had waned.

That said. I intend to be completely sober next March, on Friday, in Sebring.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 19:35 (Ref:3812871)   #1278
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
The overnight format pretty much eliminated any mainstream threat the Sebring 1500 would have posed to the 12 Hours anyways. IMSA was no more a support series in that setup than IndyCar is a support series to World Challenge running 4pm Sunday at Long Beach or whatever.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 19:43 (Ref:3812873)   #1279
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One more thing that completely mesmerizes me. People moaned that a (roughly) 12 hour race starting around midnight would be absolute suicide in terms of anyone watching and TV coverage and whatever, yet same sort of people don't have the slightest negative thing to say about Bathurst 12 Hours starting at 5:45 AM Sunday morning.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3812875)   #1280
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
One more thing that completely mesmerizes me. People moaned that a (roughly) 12 hour race starting around midnight would be absolute suicide in terms of anyone watching and TV coverage and whatever, yet same sort of people don't have the slightest negative thing to say about Bathurst 12 Hours starting at 5:45 AM Sunday morning.
Bathurst start time means it ends in near-primetime on TV. Fades straight into the usual 6pm news cycle. Sunday midnight start means the finish is around Sunday at noon, which is a somewhat lethargic period for audience (especially compared to a weekend evening).
Old 4 Apr 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3812878)   #1281
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
The race would have started at something more like 12:30 apparently, and at 1500 miles would have ended around 1:30-2:00pm, which isn't that different from Daytona.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 20:30 (Ref:3812882)   #1282
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And the likelihood of sportscar racing getting network coverage (or something akin to not-bottom-of-the-barrel-coverage) is going to be better in the morning to noon range than it is in the afternoon or evening when there's too much competing against them.

Conversely, if we look at the European time zones - which let's be honest are going to be most important for international formulae - Sebring 1500 miles would have been in the same zone as Bathurst 12 Hours is for Australian market
Old 4 Apr 2018, 20:57 (Ref:3812894)   #1283
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting... Sportcar365 are saying that there are actually 8 Customer RSR's instead of the previously mentioned 7. Which means if true, cars won't be doing double duty at Silverstone.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/p...omment-2460767
Old 5 Apr 2018, 10:27 (Ref:3812958)   #1284
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Prologue

First Prologue Paddock Notes from Daily Sportscar
Old 5 Apr 2018, 10:38 (Ref:3812959)   #1285
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
The reflective blue on the Dallara-AER looks great

Hopefully the second Ginetta prep won't be delayed as they're already running handicapped in contrast to everyone else this weekend (even Oreca)
Old 5 Apr 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3812984)   #1286
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I guess I'm the only one happy with this. It's perfect. And what I suggested directly after the 2 x 12 hour announcement. I'm expecting royalties in the mail soon.

Come on over to turn 17 at the end of any of the event days and I'll happily supply you with a cold one!

Edit: that goes for all of you of course!
Old 5 Apr 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3812994)   #1287
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Hopefully the second Ginetta prep won't be delayed as they're already running handicapped in contrast to everyone else this weekend (even Oreca)
They had no time to show up with a "proper" livery. Did the Chinese forget to pay the stickers?

Talking seriously; It isn't a good sign.
Old 5 Apr 2018, 16:40 (Ref:3813013)   #1288
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dean Stoneman and Leo Roussel join Manor, in the #5.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...iver-crew.html
Old 5 Apr 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3813019)   #1289
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some pictures from Paul Ricar

https://twitter.com/PrescottMsport/s...16305228955650
Old 5 Apr 2018, 17:42 (Ref:3813047)   #1290
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And video

https://youtu.be/RTf-dovMzLk
Old 5 Apr 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3813049)   #1291
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Awesome video, Graham! Thanks!
Old 5 Apr 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3813053)   #1292
RedSquirrel
Racer

Ireland
RedSquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like there'll be no live timing. We'll have to rely on the excellent DSC and endurance-info. Oh well. Doesn't matter though because:

Just look at that collection of machinery!
WEC is back!!
Old 5 Apr 2018, 18:29 (Ref:3813057)   #1293
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
Awesome video, Graham! Thanks!
Yep, GG's pre-action pitwalks are a terrific addition to the normal coverage. Thank you very much, Graham, hugely enjoyable and very much appreciated!
Old 5 Apr 2018, 19:03 (Ref:3813062)   #1294
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Yep, GG's pre-action pitwalks are a terrific addition to the normal coverage. Thank you very much, Graham, hugely enjoyable and very much appreciated!
Agreed! Very enjoyable and a great taster for what's to come! Thanks Graham
Old 5 Apr 2018, 21:43 (Ref:3813092)   #1295
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Are we operating in an imaginary universe where everyone in North America takes the Friday before the 12 hours off?
Are we operating in an imaginary universe where nobody has to leave to head home Sunday after spending most of the previous week at the track? Or where nobody will be leaving the track during the wec race if it was after the 12 hours creating terrible optics?
Old 5 Apr 2018, 21:51 (Ref:3813093)   #1296
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I don't think you understood. I explained it on the IMSA thread. Friday is the time for support races. The WEC being a world championship should not be a support race for a local series like IMSA. I'm not saying it's going to be, but there will be thoughts that it is and that's wrong. IMSA uses the FIA and ACO's style of cars and racing, not the other way around. There's my take on that...

On the "bigger event" I mean the greater distance/more time. It was originally a 1500 mile race, but that seemingly had to be knocked back because it was a bigger total than the 12hr? That's how it seems to me. That's why I said it seems like the name and title of 12 hours of Sebring wasn't enough for IMSA, they had to cut the WEC's race off by the knees. Kinda disappointed by that. If the 12 hours is so prestigious there shouldn't be anything to worry about with the WEC running 1500 miles. That's how I see it, and I'm not picking sides because I like both series even if I prefer lmp1 over dpi 10 times out of 10.
As was said to me in the other thread, you're worrying too much about ego. If it is a joint event, or not called a support a race, why does it matter? Or if it is egoism of imsa or imsa fans to think the 12 hours of Sebring should be the weekend ender, why is your concern about the status of the time of the race not egoism on the wec's side?

I also explained this in the other thread, but I never understood why anyone would think starting a race after the 12 hours in the middle of the night was a good idea. Look at an overhead shot of sebring after the race ends. There is a steady stream of headlights heading straight to the exits and it's obvious. That would not be good imagery for a "world championship". And after sunrise, rather than seeing the immaculate setups of the campers and all the fans hanging around, as you'll get on Friday, you would get half broken down campsites, campers packing up, bunch of trash all around, people cleaning up (whatever cleanup they may do before leaving, haha), and disinterested hungover fans on their way out the door. Not sure that is a good scene for the wec. They will have everyone's full attention on Friday, in the thick of the weeklong festivities. Why would anyone complain about that?
Old 5 Apr 2018, 21:54 (Ref:3813094)   #1297
carbsmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Are we operating in an imaginary universe where nobody has to leave to head home Sunday after spending most of the previous week at the track? Or where nobody will be leaving the track during the wec race if it was after the 12 hours creating terrible optics?
What about your post requires me or anyone else to like not seeing half the race? The "optics" of racing Friday afternoon aren't going to be any better than Sunday morning.
Old 5 Apr 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3813096)   #1298
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
I would have been happy with this if this was the -original- announcement. As in, they presented the calendar for the first time and to surprise to everyone it read "1000 Miles or 8 Hours of Sebring" after everyone expected a boring formal return to COTA or wherever. But after all this time it's a letdown, the gradual weakening of the format.

I also agree with TF110's view on it being a relegated to serve the 'prestige' 12 hours, rather than being the co-star. As I've said before, it's also the spiritual repeat of Spa 24 Hours weekend in 2010 with FIA GT1 World Championship.
If you're viewing this as being "relegated" or thinking the aco isn't being viewed as a co-star because of this change, maybe that is arrogance on your part.
Old 5 Apr 2018, 22:21 (Ref:3813097)   #1299
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
What about your post requires me or anyone else to like not seeing half the race? The "optics" of racing Friday afternoon aren't going to be any better than Sunday morning.
There won't be a steady stream of cars and campers leaving the track during the race on Friday, as they would be if it was run after the 12 hours. A race going from middle of the night to morning is harder to watch than a race on a Friday afternoon. Not really sure what you meant by your question though.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 07:49 (Ref:3813160)   #1300
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Porsche 911 Turbo safety cars for WEC...?