Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jun 2021, 12:05 (Ref:4058132)   #2001
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
All those lovely F1 cars!!

It was great, and even the rubbish ones still gave plenty of decent drivers their big chance in F1.

There is no doubt at all that the cost and the blatant manufacturer bias in F1 these days is why we don't have anymore teams.

It's effectively a closed shop.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 12:13 (Ref:4058134)   #2002
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
That’s in the rules really. Yes, bigger is often heavier, but it’s a standard part so it’s less what they decide to do. Neither are as light as they could be.

Do we know the difference?

It’s immaterial though. Unless the rules change to increase the overall weight of the car is. ???
Re: the change to 18" wheels. Unsprung weight is still quite important though, isn't it?
Old 25 Jun 2021, 12:14 (Ref:4058135)   #2003
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would cost millions of dollars to transports tires, parts, and staff around...not a good look imo if they burn that much carbon not to go racing.

A few more teams would be nice though and i am curious to see what a new team could do under the budget cap (Mosley's prefered plan).

For me, i would just want teams that can compete across the whole weekend. To me that would be healthy competition.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 12:33 (Ref:4058136)   #2004
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Re: the change to 18" wheels. Unsprung weight is still quite important though, isn't it?
The circuits are so smooth and the springing so hard, that the only thing that will suffer with unsprung weight is kerb hopping where the tyre compression will be considerably reduced, and then everyone is in the same boat as the wheels and tyres are spec.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 12:35 (Ref:4058138)   #2005
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Looking at this year didn’t know it needed fixing!
As for idea of increasing teams. How does that work with money as at least three teams are being kept going with very rich benefactors
Just more golden sperm drivers!
If the cost was reduced the golden children would not be necessary or welcome.
When there were 40 cars trying to get on a 26 car grid, the sponsors were still present.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 13:11 (Ref:4058139)   #2006
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
That’s what used to be
You could run a F1 team with 200 people not a thousand
Get rid of electronics , radio and all those back up computor boffins and then you stand a chance
Not going to happen!
Old 25 Jun 2021, 13:30 (Ref:4058143)   #2007
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When there were 40 cars trying to get on the grid quite a lot of them were crap. Really really crap.

And the gap from the front to 10th, to 20th was a lot lot bigger than it is now.

Some aspects don’t need fixing.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 14:15 (Ref:4058148)   #2008
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
If the cost was reduced the golden children would not be necessary or welcome.
When there were 40 cars trying to get on a 26 car grid, the sponsors were still present.
It was an entirely different world and until 1968 no apparent sponsorship was on cars according to Google. Certainly no wide spread direct electronic viewing was possible and that is what they pay for these days.

I agree with the reduction of electronic assistance at the track but I think most here would know that.

It will be interesting to see how much kerbs get used with the new wheels because the tyre compliance will definitely add a new dimension to it.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 14:26 (Ref:4058149)   #2009
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
so about the sponsors....Philip Morris and Ferrari took off the Mission Winnow logos in France and presumably for all the European races.

im not a fan of smoking, but if Heineken can be a very visible league and event sponsor under the guise of zero alcohol beer products (does anyone think that is what they are actually trying to promote?), then they might as well let the cig companies back in to promote whatever 'healthy' alternative products they are obliged to pretend to care about?
Old 25 Jun 2021, 15:31 (Ref:4058157)   #2010
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
so about the sponsors....Philip Morris and Ferrari took off the Mission Winnow logos in France and presumably for all the European races.

im not a fan of smoking, but if Heineken can be a very visible league and event sponsor under the guise of zero alcohol beer products (does anyone think that is what they are actually trying to promote?), then they might as well let the cig companies back in to promote whatever 'healthy' alternative products they are obliged to pretend to care about?

But there is a distinct difference between tobacco and alcohol. It is now known that there is a direct link between tobacco and cancer, but I am unaware that there is that link with alcohol.

However, I fully realise that alcohol can do irreparable and even fatal damage to humans when abused, but in moderation it can do no harm, and I say that as a teetotaller. I also appreciate that those under the influence can reek havoc both on the roads and socially, but I don't think that advertising necessarily has an effect in this side of alcohol.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 15:42 (Ref:4058160)   #2011
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And then there is Red Bull. No health warnings about how horrible that tastes.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 15:54 (Ref:4058164)   #2012
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
And then there is Red Bull. No health warnings about how horrible that tastes.

Or the smell; sickly sweet.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 17:13 (Ref:4058175)   #2013
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’ve only tasted it once. I seem to remember it tasting like strawberry
Old 26 Jun 2021, 02:19 (Ref:4058228)   #2014
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Why cant Phillip Morris, or BAT, WD HO wills etc release a pencil or toothpick, called "benson and hedges/marlboro etc toothpicks" with identical packaging and writing as the cigarettes.

Then they could plaster a car with MARLBORO in big writing and "toothpicks" in small letters under it.
We arent advertising smokes, we are advertising toothpicks.

Last edited by bathurst77; 26 Jun 2021 at 02:35.
Old 26 Jun 2021, 02:45 (Ref:4058234)   #2015
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Because that is also like cigarettes. It’s as simple as that. The reason you suggested it is the reason they can’t.

Old 26 Jun 2021, 07:16 (Ref:4058247)   #2016
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think that allowing tobacco advertising,even if slightly disguised, is a viable solution.I am a little surprised that vaping isn't being promoted although I do remember the sense of relief when Skoal Bandit disappeared from the grid.The big difference is the changes over a period of time,smoking in the western world is in decline.These days we have energy drinks pouring vast sums into F1 and Prince Malik and William Storey offering to do likewise if only the stars aligned and the cheques cleared.
What has become even more widespread than smoking ever was is the use of technology to allow us to post here and to create the hardware with which to do it.Presumably the technology and social media giants are doing so well that they don't feel a need to use motorsports to promote their brands.In the case of some of them it would create the situation where an advertising company is spending it's money advertising itself.I'm sure we can think of companies in the online world that offer a service that extracts valuable information about it's users to bombard them with targeted advertising.It may well be that the targeting is more effective than painting a company name on the side of a racecar.Maybe they ought to be studying the demographics of the F1 audience.
Old 26 Jun 2021, 09:39 (Ref:4058272)   #2017
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Let’s not forget Williams had Nicquetin CQ on the cars one time in the 00s. We have seen a few vape/e-cig brands in F1 and other. We have Mission Winnow on the Ferraris and Vyse on the Maccas and also seen IQOS, Blu and E-Lights in other types of racing
Old 29 Jun 2021, 04:38 (Ref:4058772)   #2018
wnut
Veteran

I think the new technical directive regulating pit stops is just poor on the part of the FIA.

https://racer.com/2021/06/25/horner-...-f1-pit-stops/

The sanction for getting it wrong is as Horner says draconian, loose wheel end of race, so why does the FIA have to intervene because Mercedes can't organize a quick pit stop?
Old 29 Jun 2021, 12:32 (Ref:4058823)   #2019
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I think the new technical directive regulating pit stops is just poor on the part of the FIA.

The sanction for getting it wrong is as Horner says draconian, loose wheel end of race, so why does the FIA have to intervene because Mercedes can't organize a quick pit stop?

It seems quite unnecessary.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 12:54 (Ref:4058828)   #2020
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:

I can understand why they are doing this, try and reduce the importance of pitstops, although I can't blame for Red Bull for being unhappy about it.

If they wanted to slow pitstop times, maybe they should just have pitstops like Alfa Romeo did in the 1925 Belgian GP.....
Old 29 Jun 2021, 13:33 (Ref:4058840)   #2021
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I can understand why they are doing this, try and reduce the importance of pitstops, although I can't blame for Red Bull for being unhappy about it.

If they wanted to slow pitstop times, maybe they should just have pitstops like Alfa Romeo did in the 1925 Belgian GP.....

Reduce the importance of pitstops? That will only happen if they get rid of the Option tyre.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 19:41 (Ref:4058908)   #2022
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Reduce the importance of pitstops? That will only happen if they get rid of the Option tyre.

Agreed. They should definitely make the Option tyre live up to their name
Old 29 Jun 2021, 20:03 (Ref:4058914)   #2023
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It seems quite unnecessary.
Understanding their rationale requires a short diversion into human physiology.

It is not possible to react to either a visual or aural stimulus in zero time. It typically takes around a quarter of a second for a stimulus to be turned into a muscle movement. This is a mixture of electrical and chemical processes that cannot be reduced to zero time. A particular reaction to a particular stimulus can be trained and the muscles can be primed, which is how sprinters can get reaction times to the gun of around 0.15 seconds, but that is a very particular set of events.

F1 pitstops are not supposed to have any automation. That means there should be measurable gaps between elements which correspond to the crew members reacting to events. The FIA have noticed gaps between pit stop elements of between 0 and 0.2 seconds, which means it cannot solely be the result of a crew member seeing and reacting and are thus likely the result of automation.

This is another example of certain teams finding ways to what we might charitably describe as push the boundaries of the rules. As bella sagely observed on another thread, it's simple enough to work out what they have been doing by looking at the new rule, even if we don't ever hear details.

Last edited by Anyopenroad; 29 Jun 2021 at 20:14.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 20:47 (Ref:4058921)   #2024
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Agreed. They should definitely make the Option tyre live up to their name

I think that's better than getting rid of it, make it optional not mandatory.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 23:07 (Ref:4058942)   #2025
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I've always thought that the simplest rule change they could implement is you have to run all three compounds in a race. Is it too simplistic? I'm sure there are issues but a guaranteed two-stop race brings a little more intrigue.