Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jun 2021, 07:55 (Ref:4058982)   #2026
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Actually I think there would be more intrigue if you got rid of the two compound per race. You wouldn't be able to guess what might happen next
Old 30 Jun 2021, 10:05 (Ref:4058998)   #2027
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I've always thought that the simplest rule change they could implement is you have to run all three compounds in a race. Is it too simplistic? I'm sure there are issues but a guaranteed two-stop race brings a little more intrigue.

Wouldn't that make pitstops even more important?
Old 14 Jul 2021, 18:50 (Ref:4061019)   #2028
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
didnt want to start a new thread for this, but tomorrow they will debut a full size model of next years car.

will be at Silverstone and streamed online. looks like there will be some sort of panel discussing the changes as well.

F1 One Begins will be streamed on F1.com, the F1 YouTube channel and Facebook at 1500 BST/1400 UTC on Thursday July 15.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...Reveal_Engaged
Old 14 Jul 2021, 19:09 (Ref:4061024)   #2029
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
didnt want to start a new thread for this, but tomorrow they will debut a full size model of next years car.

will be at Silverstone and streamed online. looks like there will be some sort of panel discussing the changes as well.

F1 One Begins will be streamed on F1.com, the F1 YouTube channel and Facebook at 1500 BST/1400 UTC on Thursday July 15.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...Reveal_Engaged
Also being shown on Sky F1 at 15:00 BST, programme lasts 30 minutes and is shown multiple times over the weekend
Old 15 Jul 2021, 15:08 (Ref:4061099)   #2030
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so simpler wing elements and less bits, larger endplates, wheel covers, more ground force, new rear wing, more aesthetically pleasing (imo) nose, and the cars look smaller...well sleeker anyways.

unknown how the teams will interpret the rules differently or how all of these changes will work in conjunction with one another.

the front wing will take some getting used to but overall i like the look more then the current design trend. it looks the business imo.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...-time/6630671/
Old 15 Jul 2021, 15:50 (Ref:4061100)   #2031
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do I like that look? Yes.
Do I think the new regulations are moving in the right direction? I think so.

The question is.. how close will the "real" cars match that version. I think if you are to put together a "what might they look like" you can be seduced by the "make it look good" part of your brain. In the end what is shown is part of a sales pitch to get everyone excited. I do think we will see some surprises when the actual cars show up.

Richard
Old 15 Jul 2021, 16:01 (Ref:4061103)   #2032
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
so simpler wing elements and less bits, larger endplates, wheel covers, more ground force, new rear wing, more aesthetically pleasing (imo) nose, and the cars look smaller...well sleeker anyways.

unknown how the teams will interpret the rules differently or how all of these changes will work in conjunction with one another.

the front wing will take some getting used to but overall i like the look more then the current design trend. it looks the business imo.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...-time/6630671/

So is the new F1 car a spec car?
Old 15 Jul 2021, 16:32 (Ref:4061106)   #2033
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
So is the new F1 car a spec car?
teams will be free to interpret the rules and design and build their own cars accordingly...as they always have.

this is just FOMs vision of the 2022 rule set...as Richard says this is just the sales pitch version and the teams will undoubtedly have their own areas they wish to develop/exploit in ways the best minds at FOM cannot predict or yet rule out.

certainly it will be interesting to compare this FOM model to what gets launched/debuted in testing/what shows up at the first race.

im not sure we have ever had an 'official' comparison point like this before?

although to your point...maybe we will see a very narrow interpretation in year 1 thus creating the appearance of a spec car.
Old 15 Jul 2021, 16:57 (Ref:4061110)   #2034
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
teams will be free to interpret the rules and design and build their own cars accordingly...as they always have.

this is just FOMs vision of the 2022 rule set...as Richard says this is just the sales pitch version and the teams will undoubtedly have their own areas they wish to develop/exploit in ways the best minds at FOM cannot predict or yet rule out.
Yes

Quote:
although to your point...maybe we will see a very narrow interpretation in year 1 thus creating the appearance of a spec car.
Actually I expect the opposite. I expect we may see the most variability in this spec when teams roll out their cars for first day of testing in early 2022. There will be a number of different solutions to the same question (as everyone is working in secret). Over time (maybe within a season), some solutions will be proven to be better than others. Then we will see convergence toward a few designs that seem to work. But yes, broadly they will look the same just like they generally look the same today and it is not a spec series.

Think back to when they changed the nose regulations a few years back. We had all different types of solutions. Some of that was regulated away, but in general the teams coalesced voluntarily (copying what they think worked better than their own solution) on similar solutions. After that, it is just small incremental changes until someone figures out the "next great thing" and then everyone replicates that.

So I expect 2022 will be interesting!

Richard
Old 15 Jul 2021, 18:38 (Ref:4061114)   #2035
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
and they have basically had 2 years to work on this now so we may be in for some very surprising solutions....and less money with which to do it with so hopefully that just adds to the creativity of their solutions.
Old 15 Jul 2021, 18:56 (Ref:4061115)   #2036
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The best teams will find a way around the rules, but hopefully it’s tight enough to keep things in check. Will a reduced budget make it better? Time will tell
Old 15 Jul 2021, 19:47 (Ref:4061121)   #2037
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm guessing this is built to middle of the spec on everything so if part A has to be between X and Y off the centre line, then on this car it's exactly half way between X and Y.

So I agree there is room for manoeuvre between teams, where some will place part A at exactly X while others place it at exactly Y, which across hundreds if not thousands of specification points, then there could be 11 very different looking cars, or more likely as is now 3 or 4 distinct looks, with several variations.
Old 16 Jul 2021, 07:21 (Ref:4061154)   #2038
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Looks like a 95 Indycar, just bigger and much fatter.

Believe that the racing will be closer when I see it.
Old 16 Jul 2021, 09:09 (Ref:4061172)   #2039
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car is far too big. No wonder passing is difficult if you park the truck in the middle of the track!
Old 16 Jul 2021, 12:00 (Ref:4061189)   #2040
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The best teams will find a way around the rules, but hopefully it’s tight enough to keep things in check. Will a reduced budget make it better? Time will tell
Ross Brawn is on record saying that if the intent of the rules is circumvented then they will get changed to bring the designers closer to what the FIA/Liberty want. This car is a PR exercise because Liberty want to create the interest and media comment because they are a media company and if there is no comment they lose out.

My disappointment at this interpretation of the rules is the size of the front wing, if its affect is reduced by making it smaller than any aero wash on it when following another car is also reduced and would give more chance of car on car challenges not relying on DRS. I still live in hope that the teams reduce the front wings, getting the aero from the floor and a smaller wing will reduce drag.
Old 16 Jul 2021, 13:01 (Ref:4061200)   #2041
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I still live in hope that the teams reduce the front wings, getting the aero from the floor and a smaller wing will reduce drag.
The car will understeer really bad if they do that. Unfortunately the tunnels don't start far forward enough for them to do what you want them to do.

The drivers sits much further rearward in the car, compared to the 80's cars with no front wing.
Old 16 Jul 2021, 13:34 (Ref:4061207)   #2042
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Looks like a 95 Indycar, just bigger and much fatter.

Believe that the racing will be closer when I see it.

I'm not too sure about it looking like a 95 IndyCar. This is a Lola 95.

Old 16 Jul 2021, 13:55 (Ref:4061210)   #2043
S griffin
Veteran

I think there are some big differences between the two. Although that Lola is quite a looker
Old 17 Jul 2021, 03:06 (Ref:4061329)   #2044
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
The car will understeer really bad if they do that. Unfortunately the tunnels don't start far forward enough for them to do what you want them to do.

The drivers sits much further rearward in the car, compared to the 80's cars with no front wing.
I am not sure about that, there has to be a trade of between aero load front to rear and the underfloor aero as well. Less wing is less drag, less front wing (and there has to be some) means less rear wing needed to balance the fore and aft CoG etc etc. It might be this little equation that is causing some to say the designs they are arriving at are different to the shown car. I guess we will see what is what later in the year and some idiot on a forum is only that, some idiot.
Old 17 Jul 2021, 04:32 (Ref:4061337)   #2045
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Probably time for one car teams.
Old 17 Jul 2021, 05:00 (Ref:4061342)   #2046
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I am not sure about that, there has to be a trade of between aero load front to rear and the underfloor aero as well. Less wing is less drag, less front wing (and there has to be some) means less rear wing needed to balance the fore and aft CoG etc etc. It might be this little equation that is causing some to say the designs they are arriving at are different to the shown car. I guess we will see what is what later in the year and some idiot on a forum is only that, some idiot.
Sure you need a front wing?

https://vintageracecar.com/1980-renault-re23/

Will Buxton's pre-race report reckoned that the engineers that were doing tunnel work on the car were quite surprised by the FIA's rendition of their work, apparently they look nothing alike.
Old 17 Jul 2021, 05:35 (Ref:4061345)   #2047
wnut
Veteran

Lotus 88

https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/2...assis-lotus-88

Old 17 Jul 2021, 09:39 (Ref:4061377)   #2048
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Sure you need a front wing?

https://vintageracecar.com/1980-renault-re23/

Will Buxton's pre-race report reckoned that the engineers that were doing tunnel work on the car were quite surprised by the FIA's rendition of their work, apparently they look nothing alike.
I would presume the regs would make a front wing a mandatory item but if it could be done bring it on. I do agree that the long nose in the present cars which I think looks absolutely obnoxious but at the same time is necessary for driver protection makes a front wing of some sort necessary unless the rear one goes as well. What a radical idea, no bloody wings on an F1 car.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 08:52 (Ref:4061550)   #2049
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
Probably time for one car teams.
i think the opposite
3 car teams, but only the top 2 finishers from each team score points in any race. the 3rd car can have different sponsors and colours from the main 2 and even change race to race.,
maybe they have to shuffle a number of drivers thru the car over the season.

then the 3rd car could be a source of income with short term or local sponsors for some events, pay and young drivers getting a chance. Also they could experiment with parts or set ups without risking ruining it for the main drivers. if one of your 2 star drivers has a dnf or bad race, that 3rd car could potentially score points in constructors championship.

but of course that would mean 30 cars, but the maximum grid is about 25, brings back prequally and 130% rule

Last edited by bathurst77; 18 Jul 2021 at 08:59.
Old 23 Jul 2021, 05:16 (Ref:4062799)   #2050
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well preQ and cars not qualifying kind of kills the make more money part. If you want 3rd cars it is probably more doable when a team can only do this at x races and spread that over the calendar so that you limit it to 25 cars at a race. Dont see it happening though.