Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 1 Jul 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1344888)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans - Ferry Costs - Research Please....

As some of you know already, the Tourists departed from their normal travels plans for this year's Le Mans due to commitments which kept two of us in Blighty late on the Friday. There were also concerns expressed to me when arrangements were being made about the increased cost of ferry bookings this year (particularly (so I was told) as a result of the Brittany Ferries monopoly out of Portsmouth).

I want to do some proper research in advance of Le Mans 2006 (and you can't get much more in advance than this, I suppose ). If I can persuade the others, I'd like to get us over on the Fastcraft on Thursday afternoon - returning on Monday afternoon/evening. But it would have to be from Portsmouth.

For those who made the trip by ferry, can you give me an idea of cost, how you booked, what vehicles were involved and so on? I'm sure it won;t just be me who's interested. Thanks
Old 1 Jul 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1344902)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this is primarily a western ports problem to be honest. Over at Dover there's a veritable price war going on.

I got a six-day return crossing with SeaFrance, booked in March, for the Wednesday-Tuesday for £40.

SeaFrance is currently offering returns for £90 but they never take bookings this early for next year.

I think it's all to do with the SpeedFerry, which has got SeaFrance and P&O on the hop.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1344913)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
£40 Tim? That's incredible.

What's the earliest that anyone managed to book for this year?
Old 1 Jul 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1344918)   #4
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep Dover-Bolougne for us on Speedferries. £50 return, they didn't charge any extra for the roof box (that I hadn't booked for). Limited timetable, apparently they are getting a second boat soon so that should improve. Don't expect the flexibility that you'll get on Sea France and P&O.

I think I booked sometime before Christmas. The Seafrance fare came out quite late in the day which was a bit irritating having booked so far in advance.

Personally I'd rather pay much cheaper fare and do the extra driving.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 19:07 (Ref:1344942)   #5
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Speedferries already has 2006 loaded on their system for booking. Our likely dates (14-19 June) is available at £50 for all crossings. If only the ACO released Le Mans dates a year in advance.......
Old 1 Jul 2005, 19:42 (Ref:1344963)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ayse we did Portsmouth-Caen with Brittany Ferries this year went out on the 23.15 Tuesday Night Crossing back on 9.15 Monday morning, with reclining seat's on the way out all, it cost use £222, which is £111 each, in my book that was bargin.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 23:45 (Ref:1345078)   #7
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob, that was a bargain. I have a part time job with an operater who sends many clients with Brittany and they were quite amazed at the price you got, some 50GBP less that normal.

S
Old 3 Jul 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1346159)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
How long in advance did you book that corssing Rob?
Old 3 Jul 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1346160)   #9
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've spoken to P&O head office in the past about taking race cars & team vehicles abroad - They have given us a supported rate for legitimate team uses - Could be worth a try , if you know what I mean :-)
Old 3 Jul 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1346183)   #10
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
How long in advance did you book that corssing Rob?
I booked way back in December
Old 3 Jul 2005, 20:26 (Ref:1346281)   #11
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget if you are BARC member you can get discounts on P&O.

It's still cheaper to fly PaddyAir and hire a car at Tours Airport though.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1346302)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Don't forget if you are BARC member you can get discounts on P&O.
Silly me - I never thought of that. Been a BARC member for about 20 years....... doh!
Old 3 Jul 2005, 20:42 (Ref:1346306)   #13
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Silly me - I never thought of that. Been a BARC member for about 20 years....... doh!
Obviously you don't read the adverts at the back of "Startline" much, then!
Old 3 Jul 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1346311)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Errmm - no.....
Old 3 Jul 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1346322)   #15
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Errmm - no.....
Bet you didn't use to read my reports on Midlands Centre either!
Old 4 Jul 2005, 05:14 (Ref:1346533)   #16
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of course your P&O discount is now of no use whatsoever since Brittany Ferries have taken over the western routes.........
Old 4 Jul 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1346745)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, that is true too.......
Old 4 Jul 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1346786)   #18
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also if it's anything like the P&O shareholder's discount the discount probably comes off of the standard brochure price and this usually still leaves you with a price that is greater than their promo prices apparently.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1346843)   #19
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Eurotunnel shareholders discount works that way too - of no practical use at all.
Be aware that Speedferries do charge about 14 quid to change booked times, should one take a flyer on dates which change later. However their customer service and bookings system is pretty slick and helpful.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 19:34 (Ref:1347127)   #20
jna
Racer

jna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
Also if it's anything like the P&O shareholder's discount the discount probably comes off of the standard brochure price and this usually still leaves you with a price that is greater than their promo prices apparently.
Yes, that's the method, but over the last twenty or so years I have saved a substantial amount of money. My trip to Le Mans is over five days, and I receive a timetable before the general public for the following season. Take 2005, I could book so early that P&O hadn't caught up with the change of date for the race, hence I paid against the 'normal' June price, not the premium price set for the days leading up to and after the race.

I'm obviously very sad about the loss of the Portsmouth sailings, but will have to accept Brittany. I live about fifteen minutes from Portsmouth so travelling all the way to Dover just to get a discount would be rather foolish. There had been talk about a joint venture between two foreign shipping companies setting up a rival service to Le Harve, but nothing seems to have happened so far.

The worry is what Brittany will do with their fare structure next year. Generally P&O's and Brittany's prices were similar in many ways. Not all the time, I agree. Without the need to defend itself against any real competition they do have opportunity to increase prices, and in particular at peak times like the Le Mans weekend. For those who can chose between Pompey and Dover because of where they live there may not be a choice next year - if you see what I mean.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1352553)   #21
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Dover-Calais route has been our choice for the last few years, just because it is SO much cheaper (We paid £40ish, too, for the car and two people).

What's worth noting is that there's a new Autoroute being built from Rouen to Alencon - It looks virtually built wherever we crossed it, so is certain to be complete for 2006.

I reckon it will take an hour off the current journey, but that was around 6 hours this year, going down!

Cheers
Old 11 Jul 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1352564)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Whereabouts do you travel to Dover from? It just seems daft us guys on the south coast in Hampshire driving all the way to Dover.......
Old 11 Jul 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1352575)   #23
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
I think this is primarily a western ports problem to be honest. Over at Dover there's a veritable price war going on.

I got a six-day return crossing with SeaFrance, booked in March, for the Wednesday-Tuesday for £40.

SeaFrance is currently offering returns for £90 but they never take bookings this early for next year.

I think it's all to do with the SpeedFerry, which has got SeaFrance and P&O on the hop.
I get a book (CARNET) of 10 single tickets each year from SeaFrance fully changeable they work out at £45 a crossing. The tickets are valid from one year after you use the first ticket, so if I get the new carnet in October but don’t travel on it till April they are valid for travel until the next April.

They also take the “approximate” dates you intend using the tickets, I just call them once I know when I’m travelling and they email me the amended “E” ticket.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1352586)   #24
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
>> Whereabouts do you travel to Dover from? It just seems daft us guys on the south coast in Hampshire driving all the way to Dover.......

Actually, I only live in Fleet, so Portsmouth is a nearer port, but the cost has been astonomical in recent years (Travelling on the same days P'mouth/Caen was going to cost £350+, more than enough to offset the extra tank of fuel or two!).

If you can, and want to, afford Portsmouth-Caen, I wouldn't disuade you, but Dover-Calais is becoming a more reasonable route to consider with the new Autoroute.

Cheers
Old 11 Jul 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1352606)   #25
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, the new autoroute will save an hour at least ( but it may be worth booking a early evening ferry home to go back the 'old way', much less hectic and some lovely villages)
Rouen is alot less of a chore now as well.