Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 9 Aug 2005, 02:35 (Ref:1375444)   #1
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When will Viper bite back at Le Mans?

One of the best GTS cars was the factory Team Oreca Vipers. But sadly, Oreca was the only team who raced the Vipers like they should have been, and after Oreca, the Viper's venom was not as lethal.

Will the new generation GTS-R Viper make a come back where its older brother left off? Will Oreca run the program if it ever happened? What can we expect to see with future of the Viper?

Any thoughts or guesses...
Old 9 Aug 2005, 07:16 (Ref:1375501)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
There was talk a few years back that Chrysler had commissioned Oreca to do a study on the new Viper and to race it . But I think it never got past the study stage ..... great shame too !!!

But ya never know !!
Old 9 Aug 2005, 10:16 (Ref:1375629)   #3
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Larbre didn't do too bad with it either imho.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1375652)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
There was the occasional decent performance from Belmondo, too. But ORECA were the masters.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1375690)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Carsport America must be the best in the business at rebuilding them !!!
Old 9 Aug 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1375714)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Carsport America are virtually engaged in archaeology.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 13:12 (Ref:1375796)   #7
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIA GT champions in 2001 and 2002 - I too think Larbre did a pretty good job with the car. I guess by 2002 the car was starting to age too much and never did nearly as well after that (same applies for Lister).
Old 9 Aug 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1375946)   #8
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oreca were logically the "best" team running the car because they were the factory-backed effort. They deserve praise completely, because they are a fabulous team, but it's important to remember the excellent job that teams like Larbre have done within the privateer context. Carsport Holland made some pretty rapid Vipers too, if only their modifications didn't tend to break.

Carsport America is, regardless of whatever else they are, the team running the fastest Viper GTS-R in the world to date.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1375964)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

I never understood why an american team didnt run a Viper in the ALMS sooner ! It didnt seem to atract very much interest from home ... I miss it !!!
Old 9 Aug 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1375981)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Oreca were logically the "best" team running the car because they were the factory-backed effort. They deserve praise completely, because they are a fabulous team, but it's important to remember the excellent job that teams like Larbre have done within the privateer context. Carsport Holland made some pretty rapid Vipers too, if only their modifications didn't tend to break.
Hezemans/Carsport used a Hollinger gearbox, which became soon the standard Viper racing gearbox.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1376038)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looking forward to seeing the two Belmondo Vipers at Silverstone. Maybe the last time to see them in an international event.

Funny, I was sick of them when there were a dozen of them thundering around in FIA GT.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 07:57 (Ref:1378714)   #12
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at first ,the vipers were fielded (at lemans) with little success and even in the first time oreca struggled ..weren´t they even switching from GT1 to GT2 back then?
I feel the new viper will be more like a GT3 thing and the discussions about how gt3 will happen clearlyhave an impact on how you can push forward with such a project.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1379302)   #13
garry
Racer

garry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to see an awsome Viper race, come to Silverstone on the 9/10th September when the Dutch Super Car Championship make their first visit to theis country. They have a wonderfull grid of cars with Porsche 996 bi turbo's, Vipers, Mosler, V8 Stars, Marcos etc. Also if anyone is interested in joining their races see the post on National Club Racing for details.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1379415)   #14
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And this is how the Dutch Supercar Challenge Vipers look:
http://www.formule2.com/stranger/200...uscarworld.jpg
http://www.formule2.com/stranger/200...uscarworld.jpg
Old 11 Aug 2005, 06:21 (Ref:1379577)   #15
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger

The blue one raced at Spa 24 in 2004. Nice car, but not very competitive
Old 11 Aug 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1379769)   #16
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not competative? It led it's class for 12 hours untill it blew the engine.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 12:26 (Ref:1379803)   #17
stoney
Rookie

stoney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To quote one of my yoofs - it looks pretty minging...
In the words of the ancients, one should make his decisions within the space of seven breaths. When your mind is going hither and thither, discrimination will never be brought to a conclusion. It is a matter of being determined and having the spirit to break right through to the other side.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1379810)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Have the rumours that ORECA was looking at the new Viper now been dismissed?
Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1379864)   #19
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
Have the rumours that ORECA was looking at the new Viper now been dismissed?
Don't know about ORECA, but I know on the ALMS boards a guy said his next door neighbor is a Dodge/Chrysler exec. and that he claimed the next generation Viper GTS-R will have an ACO race program beginning late 2006 with an aim at being full-song for 2007. How much weight you want to put in that is up to you...
Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1379867)   #20
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Interesting, interesting! Has anyone else heard any rumours about this?
Old 11 Aug 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1379982)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The Dodge brand will be relaunched in Europe in 2006. Maybe they will promote Dodge by a Oreca Dodge Viper at LM?
Old 11 Aug 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1379998)   #22
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
Not competative? It led it's class for 12 hours untill it blew the engine.
Yep just checked programme. It was entered in the single make class!!! But it was only up against 4 GT3 Cups and that silly little Lotus

I thought it was in the National class gainst the SRT Corvette and PSI Porsches and M3 GTRs
Old 11 Aug 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1380010)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj79
Yep just checked programme. It was entered in the single make class!!! But it was only up against 4 GT3 Cups and that silly little Lotus

I thought it was in the National class gainst the SRT Corvette and PSI Porsches and M3 GTRs
This Viper of US Carworld is not a GTS-R but a SRT10 car.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 19:34 (Ref:1380102)   #24
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
This Viper of US Carworld is not a GTS-R but a SRT10 car.

I know. I saw it at Spa in 2004
Old 12 Aug 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1380551)   #25
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj79

That's also where Ratel is planning the car in his GT3-class plans. I think the Competition Coupe is a bit of a betweener. Not fast enough for GT1 or GT2, but too fast for GT3. Though I'm pretty sure they'll tune it down if it proves too dominant in GT3.