Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Oct 2018, 05:11 (Ref:3855349)   #26
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Upon reflection, Dr Carl is actually firmly stationed within a medical car for the race.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 08:12 (Ref:3855357)   #27
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple solution. Limit the continuous time in the car for a driver to a double stint or equivalent time period. No need to change maximum driving time allowed.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 08:17 (Ref:3855358)   #28
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, that sounds pretty reasonable.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 08:35 (Ref:3855361)   #29
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that they need to limit driver time, there is no point mandating changes to brake rotors if there is a potentially unfit driver to hit the stoppers in the first instance.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 08:59 (Ref:3855367)   #30
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was what happened to Reynolds any worse than the likes of Radisich at Adelaide in 1999 etc...?

No other drivers had this problem to that extent, why do we need to change the rules because 1 driver had an issue while the 51 others didn't.

Aren't enduro's supposed to be a test of man as much as machine?
Old 8 Oct 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3855389)   #31
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Was what happened to Reynolds any worse than the likes of Radisich at Adelaide in 1999 etc...?

No other drivers had this problem to that extent, why do we need to change the rules because 1 driver had an issue while the 51 others didn't.

Aren't enduro's supposed to be a test of man as much as machine?
In my view Davey's issues were caused by his starting the race in a well less than ideal physical/mental condition.

As far as we know, every other driver out there coped with the long stint, even if they found it tough (which they should, it is Bathurst after all).

Knee-jerk calls to reduce driving time are premature. If in time something comes up that shows it is an issue, then it could get re-looked at.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 01:34 (Ref:3855554)   #32
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a safety issue.

There should be a code of practice that teams and drivers sign up to, which codifies the responsibility of drivers to maintain their fitness to perform, and take steps (with their team) when their fitness deteriorates to ensure their safety and that of others on the track.

My reading of what I saw on the tele was that the team were not on top of the issue, and perhaps did not expect it - what did they know about Reynold's condition before the start, were there any conversations about his lack of sleep, medication, etc.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 02:54 (Ref:3855575)   #33
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Reynolds admitted post race he is a terrible drinker of fluids in the car, which led to his dehydration no doubt compounded by the PR commitments / lack of sleep issues.

I would suggest that with the team aware of his habit of not drinking that constant reminders from the team for David to drink should have been relayed. We are always hearing other teams tell drivers to take a drink in all categories of motor sport including V8s.

Hopefully he and many others have learnt a lesson on the needs to re-hydrate in races and in general.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 07:34 (Ref:3855598)   #34
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Interesting to see how tired and drained he looked on the morning of the race. Usually he's pretty wide eyed.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 12:39 (Ref:3855668)   #35
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DUTY OF CARE

PIT TEAM MEMBERS handing over pit wall when the winning car drives past....Opps Slipped and got run over ????????????
Old 9 Oct 2018, 12:45 (Ref:3855669)   #36
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
DUTY OF CARE

PIT TEAM MEMBERS handing over pit wall when the winning car drives past....Opps Slipped and got run over ????????????
Hehehe I thought that when I saw Richards hanging over the track as Lowndes crossed the line, looking everybit like he wanted to jump on the bonnet. My immediate thought was NO not a 10 second penalty!

Old 9 Oct 2018, 23:21 (Ref:3855789)   #37
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Interesting to see how tired and drained he looked on the morning of the race. Usually he's pretty wide eyed.
God that is a telling photo, hard to believe the performance he put in given his condition.

This is definitely a turning point, he needs to resolve some of his issues with preparation and learn to recognise the signs of fatigue so it doesn't happen to him again.

I am positive it is exactly the kind of experience he can grow through.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 01:36 (Ref:3855807)   #38
Umai Naa
Veteran

He was utilising a sports psychologist at one stage during his Bottle O years.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 02:30 (Ref:3855810)   #39
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at a Penrite function at Erebus a few months back. Dave openly admitted that training, fitness and diet are not his strong points.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 10 Oct 2018, 08:12 (Ref:3855852)   #40
Umai Naa
Veteran

My understanding is that Mr Reynolds is of the paleo persuasion.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3855874)   #41
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jesus that explains some things then. Ridiculous to limit your diet like that when you are an athlete.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 11 Oct 2018, 01:11 (Ref:3856035)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does the driver owe a duty of care to the other cars on the track?
If Mr Reynolds was sick and not in control of his faculties, does he not owe his fellow race track inhabitants that he only races when in full physical health?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 11 Oct 2018, 01:21 (Ref:3856037)   #43
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If Mr Reynolds was sick and not in control of his faculties, does he not owe his fellow race track inhabitants that he only races when in full physical health?
He's probably not the best judge by that stage; a third party would be best to judge.

Kind of like the concussion protocol in other sports
Old 11 Oct 2018, 02:56 (Ref:3856045)   #44
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Lost a fan

This made me really angry.

Im a life long ford man since the Moffat days (as you can guess from my username), but I was cheering on Erebus this year coz I like Daveys personality and Betty's backstory and "Renegade outsider persona". If it had to be a holden then make it Erebus.

However they really let me down at the end. Davey was obviously struggling, the team in the pits could have seen the in car TV pics and their telemetry was surely showing problems.
When they asked if he wanted to come in and he didnt know he was obviously in a fog and had hit the wall. He could very well have hit a wall , or another competitor

DONT TRUST YOUR TIRED SELF. the TV ads tell us. Just like Brock promoted .05 they should have pulled him in and settled for a place. They were riding him too hard and not looking after him. Using him and not taking care of him.

Maybe they dont prepare their athletes as well as other teams. Erebus whole mental and physical training through the year and driver activity program race week needs serious review. It would be interesting to compare Erebus' driver handling - mental and physical training, preparations and personnel all year long, during race week run up and in the pits through the race -with teams like Redbull, WAU and DJRP. Sounds like they got their hardware engineering right, but have they got their wetware prepared and looked after properly?

Part of that training is knowing when to stop before youre in danger or become a danger. Plus they should have had team physio in the pits monitoring the drivers well being. Any moron knows a gulp of gatorade in a flying pit stop would do nothing straight away.

WHen he did come in for that last change Betty looked more p-ssed off than concerned about her employee. I didnt see her going over to talk to him or make any public statement of support. They just plonked him in a deck chair with a cold drink and all the cameras in his face.

Good on Murphy (Who i never liked of course) in how he supported Davey, but where was the physio, the doctors, the drip the cold baths the sports psychologists etc that were needed straight away. He was clearly physically mentally and emotionally very distressed.

You lost me Erebus, I think David gave his all, but you didnt look after him in the lead up or during the race.

Last edited by bathurst77; 11 Oct 2018 at 03:25.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 03:04 (Ref:3856047)   #45
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Here's Betty's take:

“David’s kicking himself. He knows what he did was wrong.

[/URL]
Did she really say that? Thats disgusting! Shes blaming him!
Hes a driver, his job is to drive as fast as hard and as long as he can, and that what he did.

There are strategists and team managers and medics who decide when they pit when they fuel when they change drivers. The driver drives fast til the boss calls him in. The driver is always the WORST person to decide.

I know I have often driven when looking back I can see i should have stopped, when you get in that brain state youre such a trance-like state and overtaken with the red mist - he has lost his judgement.

HE gave his all she let him down and then blamed him.
If I was him I would walk out of the team

Last edited by bathurst77; 11 Oct 2018 at 03:14.
Old 13 Oct 2018, 07:55 (Ref:3856400)   #46
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it was pretty poor form by Erebus. When this kind of thing has happened in the past, the team get the driver in the garage and shut the doors immediately so they can sort him out and he can rest and recover without all the press sticking their cameras where they're not wanted or needed. Erebus just sat him down in a deck chair and left him and his girlfriend to it. Pretty unbelievable in this day and age. Looked like a really rank amateur team then, had no idea what to do or how to do it. I felt so sorry for Davey, he'd given his all and then some, and then no one looked after him in his hour of need. Good on Greg Murphy, he was the only one who showed any kind of anything towards Davey. I hope Davey can work out just what happened and what he needs to do in the future to stop it happening again, and gets whatever assistance he needs to do it. He's one of the characters on the series, wears his heart on his sleeve, and isn't a "I'd like to thank the sponsors" robot they all seem to be today ( looking at you S McLaughlin ).