Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Oct 2018, 09:40 (Ref:3856776)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
I remember going there on the way back from my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary at Derby when I was a nipper. First time I'd ever been to a race track. As well as the museum, we saw the rover stunt team in action on the start finish straight
Old 14 Oct 2018, 18:40 (Ref:3856819)   #17
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite attending a few race meetings at Donington every year, I haven't been inside the museum for something like 15-20 years.

As I have the week beginning 29th October off work, I'm going to have to make a trip up there before it closes.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 19:11 (Ref:3856824)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went when it was still run by Tom and in its heyday, always heard bad stories about when Kevin ran it.

He has a bizarre fascination with Nazi memorabilia, which I personally find quite disturbing for one so well off AS I have read the odd article about him too, and is clearly not at all interested in racing cars as he has sold a few to fund this odd hobby.

I will always be thankful to him for managing to keep DP open after the crook Gillett got away with murder for what he did and got away with, but Kevin was never that bothered in aspects of it.

I would think most of the stuff is loaned, and that Palmer will have a plan, he usually does it it usually involves making money, he is not at all interested in history unless it makes him money, shows no real passion for the old times that I have seen. So will probably be car parking or sell it for flats!!

So I dont expect it to be re-opened at all.
Old 15 Oct 2018, 06:37 (Ref:3856891)   #19
coppice
Racer

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcoppice should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well , you can knock JP all you like but without him British motor racing would be f***ed . I go to Cadwell, Oulton and Donington regularly and the first two have been transformed from under-invested , run down basket cases to places with decent food , good staff and not a scrap of litter. Go to Croft, and see the crap left lying about since the BTCC visited to see how not to do it, and endure Stasi like security staff for the 14 people who still bother turning up, and paying more than MSV prices too .

Of course MSV are in it for a profit - so just like Grovewood etc were. Race circuits aren't charities ....
Old 15 Oct 2018, 09:55 (Ref:3856904)   #20
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
I see in The Leicester Mercury today there is a quote from Kevin Wheatcroft saying that the museum didn't fit into the business model of MSV.
I suppose that really, the original museum was another one of Tom's schemes, somewhere to house his collection, and to give members of the public the opportunity to view them. This also encouraged others (such as McLaren) to loan cars to the museum for people to see.
Kevin clearly has little of his Dad's passion for motorsport and his interests lie elsewhere.
Plus I suppose the museum building is at the wrong end of the circuit now as the original main entrance is no longer the focus of the park, this having moved to the original paddock entrance.
It's sad as I see it as another severance of Tom Wheatcroft from the circuit he adored and renovated...
Old 15 Oct 2018, 14:04 (Ref:3856950)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Well , you can knock JP all you like but without him British motor racing would be f***ed . I go to Cadwell, Oulton and Donington regularly and the first two have been transformed from under-invested , run down basket cases to places with decent food , good staff and not a scrap of litter. Go to Croft, and see the crap left lying about since the BTCC visited to see how not to do it, and endure Stasi like security staff for the 14 people who still bother turning up, and paying more than MSV prices too .

Of course MSV are in it for a profit - so just like Grovewood etc were. Race circuits aren't charities ....
Yes if it wasn't for Palmer buying the Brands Hatch group, who knows what would have happened to the circuits. Would they even exist anymore?