Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Dec 2008, 13:12 (Ref:2346371)   #1
J.J.S.S.Express
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
J.J.S.S.Express should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche WSC-95 and LMP1-98

Hello
I'm the webmaster of french Jaguar XJR-14 website http://site.voila.fr/xjr14/index.html
I actually update my site with new pictures of XJR614, MXR-01 and WSC-95.
I have discover on english wikipedia that Porsche LMP1-98s were former WSC-95 !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_WSC-95

Le Mans 24 Hours 1998 Annual book don't give more news. If anybody can help to have a clue, I'll be happy. I know Joest have WSC-95/001 chassis (win Ã* le mans in 96 and 97). So Porsche have always the second chassis, WSC-95/002, former Jaguar XJR-14/691 ???

Help me pleaseeeee
Old 3 Dec 2008, 13:57 (Ref:2346395)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
This would be just as likely, perhaps more so to get a decent response in the Sportscar & GT Racing section.

Perhaps we can copy or move it across fellow hosts?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 19:45 (Ref:2347468)   #3
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to my infos the Porsche LMP 98 was the Joest car which was only borrowed from the factory by team Joest. The car was fitted with a new bodywork designed by Norbert Singer and fitted with the engine from the Porsche 911 GT1 1998.

Regards

Markus
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2347506)   #4
J.J.S.S.Express
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Thanks for this first news.

are you markus from project le mans.de ?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2347597)   #5
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the Speed LeMans commentator .. Marriot i think . said the same thing during the broadcast ..

Ciao Marco
Old 5 Dec 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2347869)   #6
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they fitted the entire rear end from the GT1-98. That caused quite a lot of balance problems, that were not solved at all during the race, altough it did show respectably against the GT1´s for a while. No WSC will have won against them...
Old 5 Dec 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2347910)   #7
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wasn't the WSC-95 a development of the Dauer too?
Old 5 Dec 2008, 09:41 (Ref:2347918)   #8
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD
Wasn't the WSC-95 a development of the Dauer too?
No, it was basically the 1991 Jaguar XJR-14 group C car with the roof cut off and a Porsche 962 flat-6 turbo engine used in place of the Cosworth V8.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2353832)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Got a feeling I've read about this somewhere and that one of the cars was built up from a spare XJR14 chassis gathering dust at TWR, and that TWR then built up a second one for Joest, to order. However, could be miles out there, so over to you guys - you're bound to know.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 00:41 (Ref:2353944)   #10
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will ask Tom K, if you guys are in doubt?
Old 13 Dec 2008, 01:19 (Ref:2353956)   #11
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Got a feeling I've read about this somewhere and that one of the cars was built up from a spare XJR14 chassis gathering dust at TWR, and that TWR then built up a second one for Joest, to order. However, could be miles out there, so over to you guys - you're bound to know.
The history for the WSC-95 is somewhat convoluted when it comes to chassis #s. I believe that one of the XJR-14 race cars was converted to WSC-95 spec (the surviving XJR-14 because of the 3 chassis, only 1 survived the IMSA GTP series without serious damage if I recall correctly). It is my understanding that this chassis, teh converted XJR-14, was the actual race winner in '96 and '97. But I'm also of the understanding at very least one new chassis was laid up, possibly more. Somewhere I have all of this written down, but it's a matter of finding...plus I'm still not 100% convinced it's correct. What I'm writing here is from memory, so even this may have an obvious error that contradicts something I've said in the past (I think XJR-14 chassis #s have come up in the past on here).
Old 13 Dec 2008, 01:24 (Ref:2353959)   #12
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
It is my understanding that this chassis, teh converted XJR-14, was the actual race winner in '96 and '97
Mike, I am pretty sure that your theory is correct!
Old 13 Dec 2008, 02:07 (Ref:2353974)   #13
J.J.S.S.Express
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Exactly Mike, WSC-95 chassis 002 was the XJR-14 chassis 691-192. The former XJR614 was the chassis who make pole position in Le Mans in 1996. But the winning Le Mans chassis '96-'97, 001, was a new chassis tube from TWR.

But do you have an idea for Porsche LMP1/98 ? Are They some new chassis in 1998 ?
Old 13 Dec 2008, 02:35 (Ref:2353987)   #14
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J.S.S.Express
Exactly Mike, WSC-95 chassis 002 was the XJR-14 chassis 691-192. The former XJR614 was the chassis who make pole position in Le Mans in 1996. But the winning Le Mans chassis '96-'97, 001, was a new chassis tube from TWR.

But do you have an idea for Porsche LMP1/98 ? Are They some new chassis in 1998 ?

That I'm not sure of...I'll see if I can get an answer.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2354091)   #15
J.J.S.S.Express
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe

Thank you Mike !

I should contact you about my XJR-14 website because chassis 591 is for sale. I remember that Former owner had forbid you to publish some pictures of his car. But I think now it's ok ?
Old 13 Dec 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2354174)   #16
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
OK, email back from Ralf Juttner says the tubs from '98 were the same ones from '96.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2354181)   #17
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike
OK, email back from Ralf Juttner says the tubs from '98 were the same ones from '96.
Wow you really have some contacts!.
It's cool how Sportscars can be used for several years, where most singel seaters are changed every year!?
Old 13 Dec 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2354187)   #18
J.J.S.S.Express
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe

Great Mike ! Thank you so much.

Incredible but it's true : Porsche LMP1/98 n°8 in Porsche musuem was the Jaguar XJR-14/691 n°4 used by Teo Fabi to be 1991 world champion !!!
Old 13 Dec 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2354190)   #19
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:

Incredible but it's true : Porsche LMP1/98 n°8 in Porsche musuem was the Jaguar XJR-14/691 n°4 used by Teo Fabi to be 1991 world champion !!!
I find chassis like that particularly interesting. Economy of design. 962 is the same.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2354196)   #20
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Really ..... I find that fasinating too . I wonder if 956-117 really did win Le Mans twice ? Does this make us nerds for finding this interesting ? lol ...
Old 13 Dec 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2354203)   #21
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Does this make us nerds for finding this interesting ?
Noo, at least we dont watch trains
Old 13 Dec 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2354358)   #22
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Thank you Mike !

I should contact you about my XJR-14 website because chassis 591 is for sale. I remember that Former owner had forbid you to publish some pictures of his car. But I think now it's ok ?
Are there now two XJR-14's, one of which is owned by Duncan Dayton.

Also what happened to the five Mazda MXR-01's.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2354366)   #23
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

Dayton owns 591. That car was based outside Road Atlanta up until about 3 years ago when the entire collection was moved to Highcroft's facility. There was some "intrigue" as to who own the car when I photographed it inasmuch as who that person was. Frankly I wasn't really interested, so I didn't make too many inquiries as I just wanted access to the car. Some of the pictures I took of the car made it into my IMSA GTP book (in incorrect livery [Silk Cut], but beggars can't be choosers!). I have plans on putting together an XJR-14 page for the site, hopefully I can complete it over Christmas break (along with the Acura page!).

As to the Mazdas...Mazda proper owns at least two of them...Renown livried and white "low drag" Kajima car.

Last edited by MulsanneMike; 13 Dec 2008 at 20:44.
Old 14 Dec 2008, 01:07 (Ref:2354473)   #24
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was suprised Mazda had 5 cars for one season, and why they didn't run more than two at Le Mans, given they were defending their title against a small field.

I also wonder if the 'productionised' XJR-14, which became the Mazda, was planned before or after the Jaguar WSC program was given the chop.

Potentially you could have eventually seen customer 'XJR-14's' in IMSA GTP with the V6 turbo, in fact any engine, if the chassis was sold as a TWR.

In one book I own it was said rival designers were unimpressed with XJR-14's F1 inspired nose wing, as it created lots of drag, but maximum downforce seems the direction LMP designs have moved to since.

Last edited by JAG; 14 Dec 2008 at 01:09.
Old 14 Dec 2008, 01:14 (Ref:2354476)   #25
J.J.S.S.Express
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

Yes 591 is in Duncan Dayton factory but nobody know the owner of 791... probably an american.

A member of Team Oreca-Mazdaspeed said me all of the 5 MXR-01 chassis are in Japan. I'm sure that Mazda have 4 of the 5 chassis in their hands.
1/ The chassis who run in JSPC with Terada and yorino (Dunlop tyres),
2/ a white Kajima from Magny-Cours WSC-1992 with Sala and Caffi at the wheel,
3/ the 004 chassis who finish 4th or 5th at Le Mans 24 Hours with Herbert-Gachot-Veidler
4/ a 4th chassis in Renown livery (I have a picture on my website) but it's not the real Renown chassis from Le Mans. Maybe the qualifiying chassis...