Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Dec 2020, 15:27 (Ref:4019936)   #51
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I'm willing to bet a small amount of money that whoever comes in finishes ahead of Bottas

(Edit: I'm not sure that emoji means quite what I intended...)
It was used a lot during the Max Mosely regime, but now it can just mean they will "whip Bottas's arse".
Old 1 Dec 2020, 15:41 (Ref:4019942)   #52
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Hulkenberg arguably demonstrated at Silverstone that you don't need too much preparation to basically be mildly competitive if you're a talented F1 driver who has fairly recent experience - I imagine it takes a while to be fully up-to-speed on all the controls on the steering wheel, but it is arguably a better move than taking on a familiar reserve driver who just isn't as quick ultimately.

And that's why Mercedes should either go for Hulkenberg for instance, or, given that both titles are decided, use the opportunity to weigh up Russell.
The complexities of the systems on the cars is why they need to go with someone who has actually driven the car even if it's only in simulator format. Hulk had driven for RP recently so it was all familiar, highly unlikely that the Mercedes wheel and procedures are the same.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 15:48 (Ref:4019945)   #53
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I'm another one who would like to see Russell in the car. He does seem to be extremely well thought of but apart from his qualifying performances against his not so highly thought of team mate, there's not really been a anything to show this this year. My main worry about him replacing Lewis is that the unique nature of the circuit this coming weekend may not be a level enough playing field to judge his ability if he did race the Mercedes.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 16:13 (Ref:4019956)   #54
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
One difference is that he was at Berlin doing Formula E at that time (for Mercedes)

I'm not into that kind of things.
I would have said the same if the reserve driver was De Vries or still Pascal Wehrlein.
I am just pulling your leg.

I would be more than happy to see Vandoorne in the seat.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 16:40 (Ref:4019962)   #55
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Yeah, Bottas will be under the most pressure. But he should easily have any teammate covered.
He'll be the focus of the team all weekend without having to worry about all that free practice form he regularly throws away in qualifying.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 16:48 (Ref:4019964)   #56
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
According to sporza (Belgian sports website) Vandoorne says he will find out tomorrow if he will get the drive or not.
Since he was always scheduled to go to Bahrain nothing really changes and he will be preparing his journey to Bahrain like every other GP he has attended (as reserve driver): ready to go if asked.

He will know tomorrow, maybe we will as well?
Old 1 Dec 2020, 18:55 (Ref:4019980)   #57
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
And that's why Mercedes should either go for Hulkenberg for instance, or, given that both titles are decided, use the opportunity to weigh up Russell.
yes, given both titles are done, why not Russell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
My main worry about him replacing Lewis is that the unique nature of the circuit this coming weekend may not be a level enough playing field to judge his ability if he did race the Mercedes.
Good point.

Put Russell in the Mercedes and Hulkenberg in the Williams. Both will be a measure of Russell and may not hurt Williams potential to gain a point. Lets see what Hulkenberg can do in the Williams and how does Russell measures up against Bottas. Even if the circuit is not particularly difficult something can be learned.

Richard
Old 1 Dec 2020, 21:24 (Ref:4020015)   #58
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seems to be edging towards Russell.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 21:46 (Ref:4020020)   #59
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Last I checked it seemed Vandoorne was the preferable choice. All will be revealed tomorrow hopefully. Would be nice to see Stoffel back in F1 and in a competitive car this time. Mind you it would also be good to see what Russell could do in that Merc. And I would really love to see Hulkenberg get another run, finally rewarded for all he’s done in F1

Btw no chance of Guiterrez taking the seat despite being in Merc’s books, as he has no current superlicence
Old 1 Dec 2020, 22:24 (Ref:4020041)   #60
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Seems to be edging towards Russell.
Will it be for both races... more than likely...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Dec 2020, 22:30 (Ref:4020046)   #61
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Will it be for both races... more than likely...

If that’s the case and Hamilton is unable to sort out a new contract, we might have just seen his last race in F1. Although that is unlikely I thought
Old 1 Dec 2020, 22:48 (Ref:4020050)   #62
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Erm yes, just slightly unlikely.......
Old 2 Dec 2020, 00:50 (Ref:4020066)   #63
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I've lost track of how long the F1 quarantine / isolation period runs - LH was confirmed on Monday so does that mean that he'll actually have to miss 2 races?

If (& I emphasise IF) that is the case, there's an opportunity for a replacement driver to get their head around the car & team this weekend, then really show what they can do the following weekend against LH's regular performance as a benchmark.

Would be cool to see GR get a go but as others have said, the contractual discussions would be substantial.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 02:20 (Ref:4020078)   #64
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Erm yes, just slightly unlikely.......
Never discount the unexpected!
Old 2 Dec 2020, 02:46 (Ref:4020081)   #65
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Evil laughter
yes but wont he and Keke play pick a hand and draw straws to see who gets the keys?
Old 2 Dec 2020, 07:20 (Ref:4020097)   #66
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
George gets the drive..

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...-for-sakhir-gp

Jack Aitkin in at Williams.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 07:28 (Ref:4020099)   #67
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Good decision!
Old 2 Dec 2020, 07:29 (Ref:4020100)   #68
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow, makes perfect sense and gives us all something to look forward to now the championships are sealed. Good luck to both drivers.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 07:34 (Ref:4020101)   #69
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Booo... no Webber to Tyrrell-Renault

Be interesting if the form Mr Russell showed in previous testing of the big Benz continues into this weekend...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Dec 2020, 07:43 (Ref:4020102)   #70
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got to be Russel. He knows the team , tyres etc. Presumably they have a seat for him - not a 10 minute job to make - stick Hulkenberg in the Williams maybe get some points.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 07:57 (Ref:4020103)   #71
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent news about Russell. Also excellent news for Aitken.

Good decisions all round there, I feel.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 08:07 (Ref:4020105)   #72
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

A 2022 job interview.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 09:37 (Ref:4020120)   #73
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Got to be Russel. He knows the team , tyres etc. Presumably they have a seat for him - not a 10 minute job to make - stick Hulkenberg in the Williams maybe get some points.
Yep, both he and Soffel have a seat made already.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 09:49 (Ref:4020122)   #74
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

So what constitutes a good weekend for Russell?

I am thinking a solid third is the target. He ideally needs to be beating the second Red Bull imo.

In his favour, it's a new track for everyone and should suit the Merc. He knows the team well. He should have a handle on the basic character of the car, if not its full potential. He is an outstanding qualifier as we know.

He just needs to avoid the silly errors and I think third place is there for the taking, even if someone like Perez makes it a fight. But maybe he can aim for more unrealistic targets?

Then Red Bull swoop in with a contract and destroy his career next season.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 10:02 (Ref:4020125)   #75
S griffin
Veteran

So Russell it is. Really excited to see how he gets on, this is a big opportunity for him. Hopefully it won't take long to get to know the car and he can show his stuff. Mind you, he'll probably be satisfied if he can get that first points finish!