Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

View Poll Results: Poeples Opinion
Supremely Talented 28 46.67%
Useless but has the money 6 10.00%
Joe 'Average' Bloggs 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 1 May 2003, 11:51 (Ref:586126)   #1
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis Hamilton

:confused:
Old 1 May 2003, 12:43 (Ref:586182)   #2
loadsaaaTOP
Rookie

loadsaaaTOP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
supremely talented, but not the MOST talented!
Old 1 May 2003, 13:19 (Ref:586221)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are a lot of better young drivers out there who don't have as much backing. he might have what it takes to get to F1, but I'm not convinced. I'd lvoe to see him or soem other ethnic-majority guy in F1 as it annoys me to see a sea of white guys racing, adn I'm sure there's a potential Tiger Woods somewhere who's never had the chance, but I don't think Lewis is the one.
Old 1 May 2003, 13:38 (Ref:586243)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
fabulously talented. both on the track and with his personality.
Old 1 May 2003, 16:50 (Ref:586430)   #5
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
supremely talented
Old 1 May 2003, 19:26 (Ref:586595)   #6
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no doubt he is a talented driver, and a lovely guy too.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 1 May 2003, 19:58 (Ref:586629)   #7
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
I'll tell you what I mean by Lewis being a lovely guy...

OK I know he nerfed Lloyd off the track the previous day, but he is under some pressure, and he congratulated Alex on his win on Sunday (which I would personally find difficult to do - I'd have been growling and scowling!) and he looked like he was genuinely pleased for him. I do hope they stay friends, as it is possible their careers may run side by side for a while.

Mark Gledhill captured a moment:

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/sel...ce&Y=2003&O=24

He's one of the good guys, absolutely no doubt.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 1 May 2003, 20:13 (Ref:586647)   #8
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Aside from driving abilities, I do believe that if a driver is to make it to the top, he/she will need to possess a lot more than just being quick. PR, marketability, luck, looks, confidence, personality, and what we used to call The Right Stuff, and I think Lewis has that.

There are one or two people you meet in life who have something else, something indefinable. You just know they are different somehow. It comes from within. Senna, for example. Schumacher, although he doesn't have the charisma somehow. Mick Doohan. Valentino Rossi. Joey Dunlop. Raikonnen, maybe?? THOSE are supreme talents. Rare as hen's teeth!
Old 1 May 2003, 20:32 (Ref:586668)   #9
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He doesn't have the most talent but he's got the looks, personality and connections; and those will take him far.
Old 1 May 2003, 21:43 (Ref:586775)   #10
Morcilman
Racer

Spain
Spain
Morcilman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we need more options...
Old 1 May 2003, 21:59 (Ref:586790)   #11
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Who then do we think DOES have the talent?

Agreed, there should have been more options.

Please will you rate my looks ....

Am I

a) stunningly handsome
b) really good looking, or
c) much better than average
Old 2 May 2003, 10:04 (Ref:587104)   #12
sgrok
Racer

sgrok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about just talented. Not supremely and not average.

There's no doubt he has talent. As for personality - I can't say I've ever spoken to him face to face, in which case I'm sure he's a lovely guy, but for media personality does he sparkle with wit and a cheeky smile like Danny Watts or James Courtney (or Button, Irvine etc), does he have the brooding looks and fiery nature of Antinucci or Nelshino (or Senna, Montoya etc)?

I haven't seen much evidence of him being exceptional in any area. He's got talent, looks and personality, but he doesn't have amazing talent (Jamie Green), fantastic looks (Antinucci) or the sparkling personality (Watts) of some of his counterparts in junior level racing.

What he does have is the money and connections to go as far as he likes.
Old 5 May 2003, 18:03 (Ref:590192)   #13
TALAMASCA
Rookie

TALAMASCA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive never actually seen him race but it does help if ron dennis takes an interest in your career.
i dont belive looks really count but money pr speed and temperment do
Old 6 May 2003, 00:06 (Ref:590478)   #14
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
I think he may have a little problem dealing with pressure? He makes mistakes under pressure. Fell off at Snett race 1. I was watching at Brands and he looked like he was pushing too hard into the first corner, locked up and speared into the gravel. Lot of folk went off there today - maybe on the Champ car rubber? I guess there will be a reason tabled for it.

I mentioned he looked rattled a few weeks ago (and was shouted down by a few folk) but I'll stick by what I said and what I saw. The guy is under pressure, and at the moment it is not happening for him. Time for him to get his act together quickly, and I'm sure a lot of people will be working on it.
Old 6 May 2003, 14:47 (Ref:591062)   #15
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can only comment on his driving based on what I've seen in the flesh. At donnington last year at the FRenault Finale he simply took the field apart, and only lost a double win due to 10 secs being added to his race 2 time for a jump start. The guy is superb.
Old 7 May 2003, 20:10 (Ref:592779)   #16
racingdick
Veteran

anyone know where lewis is on the points table?
Old 7 May 2003, 20:13 (Ref:592784)   #17
racingdick
Veteran

oh silly me ive just found it
1st M Conway, 92pts;
2nd A Lloyd, 82pts;
3rd T Sisley, 68pts;
4th J Rossiter, 67pts;
5th L Hamilton, 53pts

Last edited by racingdick; 7 May 2003 at 20:14.
Old 7 May 2003, 20:39 (Ref:592816)   #18
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
1st = M Conway - 91pts

I'm no mathematician (ok ok I am a mathematician amongst my many talents) but I think that's the Renault web site got that one wrong?
Old 7 May 2003, 20:45 (Ref:592831)   #19
far
Rookie

far should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If memory serves me right he had a few good results in the European F. Renault races he took part in last season - a 4th at Spa I believe? In any case would that be any good indication or not?

Last edited by far; 7 May 2003 at 20:53.
Old 7 May 2003, 20:46 (Ref:592833)   #20
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Tell you what ... where I was sitting at the Brands race, it looked like Lewis made a simple driver error, ran wide onto the marbles, and slid off into the gravel.

You might have expected some excuse to be tabled? Suspension broke, brake pedal didn't work, tyre deflated, etc? I must confess I was expecting to hear some such story. But Nope .. he said he made a mistake and slid off. Respect to him for that. If a driver can admit to his mistakes, then he and the team will learn to trust when it's the car's fault and when it's the driver. If the driver covers it up, how can you progress? I think that is one indicator of a good driver. We all make mistakes. Takes a big man to admit to them sometimes, though.
Old 7 May 2003, 20:58 (Ref:592854)   #21
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
It is a tricky thread, this one. Ask anyone who knows their onions, or any of the Manor guys ... and they'll tell you straight - Lewis is very good. No question of being useless ... no question of being average. He is a quick committed and brave driver. The question is HOW good is he? I think time will tell.

Making mistakes under pressure and getting rattled is my view of a major weakness he has. But when a driver settles down and calms down, I think he almost invariably goes quicker, and if you are backed by the team who ran Mika Hakinnen, I think he will get the necessary advice. He will be up there at the pointy end of the grid - I believe the question really is whether or not he merits the backing and hype he has got - i.e. is he the next Raikkonen?
Old 7 May 2003, 21:02 (Ref:592857)   #22
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does his colour have to do with it ?

<quote>

F1 as it annoys me to see a sea of white guys racing, adn I'm sure there's a potential Tiger Woods somewhere who's never had the chance, but I don't think Lewis is the one.

</quote>

there are tons of rich ethnic familys be it asian/african/mexican etc etc chances are the eithnic familys don't have a child with motor sport ablity.

Tiger woods is special because he is super naturally tallented and worked hard to get where he is - not because he is super naturally tallented and black

Eddie Irvine worked his socks off to earn backing and work his way through the formulas, his family didn't have money. Irvine is just an example.

Look at Yoong a malaysian - he had cash but was a rubbish driver, look at india, it is currently thriving from taking western work, yet there are not many indian drivers around (even though there is money in india)

If we are going to make a fuss on Hamilton, lets make a fuss about him because he is stunning full stop, not average but black so lets get behind him
Old 7 May 2003, 21:12 (Ref:592874)   #23
racingdick
Veteran

oh brother, why did i have to start this...
Old 7 May 2003, 22:49 (Ref:592986)   #24
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
The reason Hamilton gets this sort of attention is not, I suspect, because of the stunning supernatural talent he has exhibited so far in demolishing his opponents, but because of the stunning supernatural levels of support he has achieved at this level (and earlier) of his career, which suggests that McLaren thought they had seen something, and you have to take that seriously.

Whether he is able to perform at stunning supernatural levels depends on a) whether he truly has such abilities and 2) whether McLaren or whoever will continue to fund him until and unless he does perform at a level which justifies the phenomenal backing. Degree of suntan is irrelevant. What matters is exactly how good he is compared to his peers - whether or not he is a Raikonnen-sized step above his opponents in driver skill, ability to withstand pressure, and all the other necessary attributes a top flight racing driver needs these days. Everyone has their level of incompetence - the price of getting such fabulous backing is that Hamilton's is under severe scrutiny
Old 8 May 2003, 00:05 (Ref:593022)   #25
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this cracking under pressure stuff is BS. Every racing driver in every race is under pressure. All of them make simple and stupid mistaks from time to time.
Closed Thread