Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Oct 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1127357)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Silverstone HSCC Finals

Good to see some 10Tenthers there - Weather was very Silverstone dry then torrential rain, the saloons got the brunt of it after the Classic Racing Cars race had to be abandoned (very sadly) after a startline pile up which took out all the F5000 cars
my race was the last and was a war of attrition including something I havent seen before - someone stuffing their E Type at Woodcote BEFORE the start of the green flag lap!!
I was understeering chronically on the exit of Luffield during the race to the point of almost being undriveable I would be interested if any other rear engined drivers had the same problem. Would I have been better dabbing the brakes before the last part to transfer the weight to the front? We had loosened the anti roll bars as far as possible without disconnecting them.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 14:37 (Ref:1127366)   #2
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was the Derek Bell Trophy that had to be abandoned after the startline shunt - there were a couple of F5000s that came round Copse the first time, the Eagle and Lotus 70, but most of them were out, including Ed Jowsey who missed the Classic Racing Cars race - anybody know whether everyone was OK?

And I was pleased to cheer on the various 10/10thers, including KDW in his Lotus 35, and also Gary Critcher from the Other Forum in the FFs.

Paul M
Old 18 Oct 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1127377)   #3
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon there's a special line round luffield when it's wet . Ring me then you'll know it in time for the Walter Hayes meeting
Old 18 Oct 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1127391)   #4
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Simon, before you come out again, can we have some numbers on the sides of the car please.On the bank we could not read the front number.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 15:24 (Ref:1127397)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
when I have learnt how toi drive the car a bit more proficiently I will advertise myself better!!!!
Incredibly I ended that race a class winner - I think the two in front of me in qualifying decided not to venture out in the rain!!!!
Old 18 Oct 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1127409)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

Jason - where you there as I saw the corporate truck leaving just before my race...
I was having some real problems with the rain - the Eleven had such skinny tyres I used to cut through the water but this one just seems to aquaplane, having no weight at the front cant help. I will definately give you a holla before hand as chances are November is going to be cold and wet!!!
Seems like I am going to have to get some roundals and numbers from you as well ;-)
Old 18 Oct 2004, 15:48 (Ref:1127419)   #7
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was running an FF for a chap thankfully we got our race in before the deluge .
Old 18 Oct 2004, 17:51 (Ref:1127501)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
hat happened in the saloons Simon ? I can guess most of it I'm sure (hotrods at the front, historic racers at the back!)
Old 19 Oct 2004, 06:24 (Ref:1127955)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

being perfect conditions for fwd a green mini cooper romped it with all the usual suspects falling in behind - Dan Cox's anglia spun and had to carve through the field but finished off podium (I think). For mr one of the most impressive drives was the Falcon Sprint. It looked very tidy round Copse, I was expecting to see it sideways in that amount of rain! It was a long time since I have seen that many spectators at a Silverstone clubbie meeting - it was good to see!
Old 20 Oct 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1129521)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thing that amused me was watching the fleets of Hillman Imps charging round with terminal understeer and staying somehow on the grey stuff. What is the opposite of opposite lock, I wonder?

Glad to hear you got a race in after all, Simon. I would have stayed for that if I had remembered that coat. Thanks for the loan of that gortex jacket!
Old 20 Oct 2004, 14:38 (Ref:1129540)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

my pleasure, I have now decided that in future I am going to decide to not race, enjoy the other races and change my mind on final call and get racing!!
Tim is right the Imps were barrelling into Copse full lock terminal understeer and somehow just getting round! I found Luffield was exactly the same for me. I see Motorsport News gave Roger Godfrey in teh Mini driver of the day - he got my vote of what I saw, a great example of fwd racing in the rain!
Old 25 Oct 2004, 16:16 (Ref:1135297)   #12
Ralph Nader
Rookie

Ralph Nader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Opposite of opposite lock? Simple: Ohmygod lock!
Old 25 Oct 2004, 16:17 (Ref:1135301)   #13
Ralph Nader
Rookie

Ralph Nader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or even more imply: Lock
Old 26 Oct 2004, 04:20 (Ref:1135940)   #14
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FFords at Silverstone

..........and bluddy slippery I might add when I was out for my practice. Race was a bit better.