Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jan 2020, 15:40 (Ref:3950636)   #1176
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah my bad on that. just read the team press release which didnt mention their past history in F1...as pointed out by chunterer and bjohnsonsmith - respect on the deep knowledge there gents!

nor did it mention any tie in with Latifi or Sofina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I’ll say what I like about her thanks.
fair enough
Old 9 Jan 2020, 15:41 (Ref:3950637)   #1177
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davec View Post
Any new sponsorship is good for the team even if it does come via the driver.

Lavazza is part of the Sofina foods group that is owned by Latifi Snr so not a major new deal from Claire.
Ah, I see. That puts a much less progressive slant on this news then.
Old 9 Jan 2020, 15:56 (Ref:3950644)   #1178
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
“Williams is pleased to accept $x0,000,000 from our new driver who isn’t great but has a licence and the money, and will want his stickers on the car” doesn’t sound so great does it?
I would have thought a driver bringing $x0,000,000, would be welcome by any team. Running an F1 team is an expensive business. Let's hope the stickers blend in with the car's livery.
Old 9 Jan 2020, 16:13 (Ref:3950646)   #1179
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Not necessarily but OP claimed it as Claire finding a new team sponsor.

Which it isn’t.

Mr L will have guaranteed $x for y space on car for tax w/o...
I get the point, but IMHO, we are splitting hairs here. You can also say that Claire brought Latifi on-board, along with his sponsorship money.

She may be a terrible manager (or not) and responsible for their current situation (or not), and I am all for beating up Williams leadership over their sorry state. But I am also trying (sometimes not succeeding) in NOT kick them while they are down. I do think its a valid point that they lack money that is driven by the team alone. There is ROKiT, but the sponsor probably got that deal on the cheap.

Regarding press releases. While Williams could rightly so ignore the tie to Latifi, they do include it in the release. Granted it was a quote from the sponsor (who may have insisted on it's inclusion)! So if you read with a critical eye, you do see that Latifi brought the money even if Williams is putting a pretty face on the deal.

(Emphasis in the quote is mine)

Quote:
Founded in Turin in 1895, Lavazza has been owned by the same family for four generations. It is among the leading coffee roasters in the world and has a sales presence in more than 140 countries. Lavazza's strategy of international growth has led to collaborations in the world of sport, and they have supported the motor racing career of Canada's Nicholas Latifi since 2016.
Richard
Old 9 Jan 2020, 21:56 (Ref:3950721)   #1180
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Damn good coffee it is too. If anyone thinks the "Williams Group" is short of money.. just look at the "Group" accounts...It's awash with good accounts and profits..and, no, I don't work for them..
Old 10 Jan 2020, 02:04 (Ref:3950742)   #1181
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Exactly, the F1 team may not have large sponsors but they have plenty of cash. Williams makes millions off of their other projects, how much they want to subsidize the race team is the question. And how much can they, didn't they float the company or a portion last year?
Old 10 Jan 2020, 02:20 (Ref:3950743)   #1182
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Exactly, the F1 team may not have large sponsors but they have plenty of cash. Williams makes millions off of their other projects, how much they want to subsidize the race team is the question. And how much can they, didn't they float the company or a portion last year?
Looking at their Annual report:

https://www.williamsf1.com/pages/cor...annual-results

Their revenue is predominantly F1 sourced, and it is doubtful whether the Group would stand on its own without F1.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 03:00 (Ref:3950749)   #1183
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Williams are going to take a hit of $21.1M in this year's F1 revenue distribution too:

https://www.racefans.net/2019/03/03/...2019-revealed/
Old 10 Jan 2020, 06:07 (Ref:3950755)   #1184
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Williams are going to take a hit of $21.1M in this year's F1 revenue distribution too:

https://www.racefans.net/2019/03/03/...2019-revealed/
Plus the loss of two significant sponsors
Old 10 Jan 2020, 08:09 (Ref:3950774)   #1185
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Plus the loss of two significant sponsors
No. Read above. They’re doing a great job to some!
Old 10 Jan 2020, 16:01 (Ref:3950862)   #1186
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i just think a lot of us have a lot of hope and optimism when it comes to Williams.

i dont think anyone is saying they are doing a great job but for sure sentimentality/nostalgia does cloud the judgement...for my part anyways.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 17:12 (Ref:3950881)   #1187
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Williams have lost Unilever as a sponsor to McLaren. in the form of Rexona.

https://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/147849
Old 15 Jan 2020, 10:34 (Ref:3951709)   #1188
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula-one/51120155

Roy Nissany: Williams name Israeli as Formula 1 test driver
Old 15 Jan 2020, 11:19 (Ref:3951717)   #1189
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought Jamie Chadwick was their test driver.
Old 15 Jan 2020, 11:30 (Ref:3951720)   #1190
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

I am pretty certain that, as with most of the teams in F1, money talks the only language that they really understand!
Old 15 Jan 2020, 11:34 (Ref:3951723)   #1191
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
No - she's their development driver, and part of their driver academy.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...lopment-driver

Confined to the Simulator, and not behind the wheel of the live car it seems.

'As a Development Driver, Jamie will be fully immersed into the team both trackside and in the factory at Grove. Alongside a busy simulator programme, she will also attend three European races, starting at the British Grand Prix, and support the team in a number of media and marketing activities.'
Old 15 Jan 2020, 11:47 (Ref:3951729)   #1192
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 15 Jan 2020, 11:51 (Ref:3951731)   #1193
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying.
I think it does show how, despite what would normally be assumed, testing and development are seen as different (complementary) strands in F1 nowadays.

Now we need to know who their research driver is.......
Old 15 Jan 2020, 11:52 (Ref:3951732)   #1194
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
No - she's their development driver, and part of their driver academy.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...lopment-driver

Confined to the Simulator, and not behind the wheel of the live car it seems.

'As a Development Driver, Jamie will be fully immersed into the team both trackside and in the factory at Grove. Alongside a busy simulator programme, she will also attend three European races, starting at the British Grand Prix, and support the team in a number of media and marketing activities.'
In F1 speak Development driver means - have some money, may have some PR value, got a Dad who may be a prospect, probably never going to sit in a car ( Leclerc being the exception)

Test driver means - Got shed loads of money, wants "F1 driver" on cv, got a Dad who is an EVEN better prospect, will probably get a filming day or a run up a lonely runway somewhere.
Old 15 Jan 2020, 11:55 (Ref:3951734)   #1195
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula-one/51120155

Roy Nissany: Williams name Israeli as Formula 1 test driver
I still remember his dad's FP1 in Hungary, complaining about having "too much grip" in his Minardi
Old 15 Jan 2020, 14:21 (Ref:3951770)   #1196
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Ok - so Williams now have Nissany as test driver, Chadwick and Ticktum as development drivers. Are they just going to sign everybody that doesn't currently have an F1 role?

I have a couple of quid in my pocket - I look forward to being announced as a Williams development driver in the next few days
Old 15 Jan 2020, 14:47 (Ref:3951777)   #1197
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Ok - so Williams now have Nissany as test driver, Chadwick and Ticktum as development drivers. Are they just going to sign everybody that doesn't currently have an F1 role?

I have a couple of quid in my pocket - I look forward to being announced as a Williams development driver in the next few days
Good luck. We will all be very proud of you, here at TenTenths.
Old 15 Jan 2020, 16:30 (Ref:3951795)   #1198
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Serious question. Theoretically, how many "test" drivers could a team sign up for a season (assuming used to generate money)

If you have 22 races, two cars per team. So that is 44 sessions at GP events (Friday practice). Then you have six days of pre-season testing. That is another 12. I am not sure if there will be post season testing in 2020? So a total session count of about 56. I also think I read somewhere that you are supposed to give new driver two sessions over the course of the season. So that would be a max of around 28 "test" drivers per team? Of course you may want to let your regular drivers do some of the driving!

Note, the Nissany article says he will have three practice sessions and one test session drive.

Richard
Old 15 Jan 2020, 16:56 (Ref:3951799)   #1199
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
why not monetize your development program? rather would it be more acceptable if they called it a school - or in this case a driver's academy?

some may have talent, some may have more money then talent, some may just be PR moves, or even genuine attempts at promoting equality...but in the end its just a school that charges money for admission and training.

if post secondary/post graduate institutions are doing it why not Williams?
Old 15 Jan 2020, 18:43 (Ref:3951816)   #1200
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
why not monetize your development program?
That's a good question. My guess is that in reality nobody would want to sacrifice (too much) the quality of their limited testing schedule by using drivers who are unfamiliar with the cars, so my fanciful 28 driver number above is not realistic at all.

I suspect there is some weird supply/demand at play as well. Short supply of testing slots in current F1 cars (due to regulations) and maybe a limited supply of drivers with the funding. With the the short supply of testing slots, that can drive the cost up to a point that it's worthwhile for teams to sell testing seats (teams such as Williams, because we need to keep this discussion about Williams or someone will complain! I digress)

If regulations were relaxed around testing, that would open the supply to available testing slots, but that could also drive the per slot costs down. Would it end up being a wash in the end from the teams perspective. I am not an economist!

Lastly, I can't remember, do you need a superlicense for testing?

Richard