Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Apr 2023, 04:16 (Ref:4152876)   #1
speedy27
Rookie

Australia
Australia
speedy27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phillip Island Classic 2023 - event photos

A collection of some of my highlights pics from this year's event, being the first since 2013 where there has been a significant amount of international entrants, led by a contingent of six Masters F1s from the 70s and 80s, which proved to be a very worthy headline act ... and that magnificent Chevron B31, dressed in B36 bodywork. I hope you enjoy the pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/petere...77720307612802
Old 25 Apr 2023, 04:47 (Ref:4152878)   #2
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy27 View Post
A collection of some of my highlights pics from this year's event, being the first since 2013 where there has been a significant amount of international entrants, led by a contingent of six Masters F1s from the 70s and 80s, which proved to be a very worthy headline act ... and that magnificent Chevron B31, dressed in B36 bodywork. I hope you enjoy the pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/petere...77720307612802
Great Pics Speedy.... thanks for sharing. Iain will be happy to see you even got a shot with the trackside geese in to spark some memories.
Old 25 Apr 2023, 09:07 (Ref:4152898)   #3
speedy27
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Great Pics Speedy.... thanks for sharing. Iain will be happy to see you even got a shot with the trackside geese in to spark some memories.

Many thanks. Those geese are brave, that is for sure. They do not even flinch when the cars go past!
Old 25 Apr 2023, 09:14 (Ref:4152899)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Many thanks. Those geese are brave, that is for sure. They do not even flinch when the cars go past!
I seem to recall referring to them with Iain when he came to PI pre Covid, as PI's'Apex predators'. They certainly dont flinch, and if they are sat on the apex as a car arrives its their (the geese's) corner
Old 25 Apr 2023, 09:48 (Ref:4152901)   #5
speedy27
Rookie

Australia
Australia

Old 25 Apr 2023, 14:58 (Ref:4152957)   #6
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Great pics Peter, thanks. The three two liter Alfettas door to door is a pure gem. Not mentioning what seems to be a P4 spyder and the Healey and the TR and the Datsun Z and… OMG, too many to chose from!
Old 25 Apr 2023, 15:01 (Ref:4152958)   #7
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
OK, I go for the GT40 because I love the really big bubble above the driver's door. He must be tall.
Old 25 Apr 2023, 17:25 (Ref:4152978)   #8
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
OK, I go for the GT40 because I love the really big bubble above the driver's door. He must be tall.
Hehehe the "Gurney Bubble".... I think the story is that with Gurney being well over 6 ft tall, in 1967 when he won at Le Mans he could not fit in the standard car so the team added the bubble to the roof so he could fit in. Thereafter known as a Gurney Bubble.

Sadly that particular car pictured is a replica and no doubt fitted with an after market Gurney bubble similar to what you can now buy online from 'Race Car Replicas' for $120.
Old 26 Apr 2023, 06:54 (Ref:4153032)   #9
speedy27
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Great pics Peter, thanks. The three two liter Alfettas door to door is a pure gem. Not mentioning what seems to be a P4 spyder and the Healey and the TR and the Datsun Z and… OMG, too many to chose from!

Many thanks - the Alfa pic was taken at the start of one of the Group S races. Pure lucky timing, I'm afraid - all I had to do was be there and be ready The P4 Spyder is from Bailey Edwards cars in South Africa. As for the rest you have mentioned, they are always at this event in impressive numbers. Thanks again for replying; it's my 40th consecutive year of motorsport photography and I still appreciate the enjoyment that my photos deliver to some people. Take care.
Old 26 Apr 2023, 15:55 (Ref:4153079)   #10
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
We all know that chance factor has few to do with such a job. You're at the right place at the right moment and you do know your job. Thanks again. We have several alfista here and they will say why the three spoted are 2 liter and not 1,8 I guess…
Old 26 Apr 2023, 16:58 (Ref:4153091)   #11
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Many thanks - the Alfa pic was taken at the start of one of the Group S races. Pure lucky timing, I'm afraid - all I had to do was be there and be ready

Great pic.... in fact the driver of the blue Alfa nearest the camera, #86, is John Floyd and is a friend of mine. In fact he was with a group of us for dinner one night at PI!
Old 26 Apr 2023, 18:23 (Ref:4153097)   #12
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Now we have the name of the driver and of his personal coach!

As an ex 105 Series driver, I've always been amazed by the Alfettas chassis, coupe and berlina, what a balance and clever design. Front suspension, transaxle, rear suspension, all is perfect out from the box, only the rear brakes should be improved.

Unfortunately, the fantastic on the road 2 liter engine is almost a dog on the track, whether under Grp1 or Grp2 form. Please dont shoot me, only my personal opinion here…