Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Jul 2023, 07:25 (Ref:4168334)   #51
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Targa severs ties to Motorsport Australia (for now I guess - will depend on what other sanctioning body can provide what they need).
Old 14 Jul 2023, 08:29 (Ref:4168343)   #52
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Targa severs ties to Motorsport Australia (for now I guess - will depend on what other sanctioning body can provide what they need).
Or if there is a need for a sanctioning body at all.

Dutton (the owners of TT) sold recently to a Japanese company who may see a non-core part of the business that is only troublesome as an easy cull with no downsides.
Old 15 Jul 2023, 01:08 (Ref:4168454)   #53
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australia is going down the gurgler in more ways than one...
Old 15 Jul 2023, 09:41 (Ref:4168485)   #54
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
I think we may have seen the last targe... and i just moved to tassie in a house where they would have gone past the end of my street... I was looking forward to it
Sorry guys my typical luck jynxed it.

If it was raining film stars I would get Danny Devito!!!!
Old 15 Jul 2023, 22:33 (Ref:4168556)   #55
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mercury newspaper, had a story about Jason White(Targa winner, and done 80 plus road Targa events), saying that he would have to do a special course in Adelaide to be eligible to compete in the event. The course was five days and had to be done in his Dodge Viper, so not a cheap exercise in both dollars, logistics and time.

Seems to a box ticking exercise and somebody will be making some dollars, but will it enhance safety for the event?

A bit like most things in Australia today, pay dollars get a shiney certificate and everyone is happy!

Don’t quite know how they will replicate the windy west coast roads in Adelaide?

Big loss of tourism dollars for the west coast of Tasmania.

So bathurst77, if you went down in a barrel of nipples, you would come up sucking on your own thumb.
Old 16 Jul 2023, 00:57 (Ref:4168563)   #56
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does changing the sanctioning body automatically by osmosis change driving standards thru the whole field, and reduce the danger on the roads?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Jul 2023, 03:41 (Ref:4168572)   #57
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Does changing the sanctioning body automatically by osmosis change driving standards thru the whole field, and reduce the danger on the roads?
No - but it might allow the event to continue at a reasonable cost for all. The organiser would be mad to try and continue as it was though, given the recent deaths. Taking a different organisational approach could result in improved driving standards and reduced danger but realistically that is more in the hands of the organisers to activate rather than relying on a sanctioning body to do it.
Old 16 Jul 2023, 09:12 (Ref:4168587)   #58
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Taking a different organisational approach could result in improved driving standards and reduced danger but realistically that is more in the hands of the organisers to activate rather than relying on a sanctioning body to do it.
I would say it is totally in the hands of the drivers.

I think it one of those things that just gets out of hand by virtue of the 'the Targa mystique' overwhelming sane and responsible judgement. Strap on the helmet and HANS, and a Targa plate is mine ... maybe even a podium spot!

I cannot see that the organisers can run a traditional event AND control drivers out for the best result. It is circuit racing without circuit safety. Drivers in the Tour are out of control, never mind the event proper.

Kill it before it kills any more competitor, or perish the thought, spectators.
Old 16 Jul 2023, 10:05 (Ref:4168590)   #59
dirtymacca
Racer

dirtymacca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Cars and the technology have progressed so far in the past 30 years, the roads are still the same. They are made for commuting.
Targas are a spin off of the cavalier times in the 50's and 60's. Champagne and picnic baskets.

Now we have motoring enthusiasts with powerful cars ... and the finance to 'race' at these events.

Everyone screams about "street circuits" are are waste of taxpayers money. Why can't these enthusists organise some 12 hour (or other time lines) races on some of our great existing circuits? It is about self gratification.

Racing on public roads will always have its issues and apart from the enthusists will only continue to **** off the general public.

Just my opinion.
Old 16 Jul 2023, 22:30 (Ref:4168697)   #60
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymacca View Post
Now we have motoring enthusiasts with powerful cars ... and the finance to 'race' at these events.
If 36mm air restrictors successfully limit power output to 300-350hp in WRC Rally1, and has done so for over 30 years, why does Targa rallying overlook a solution which already exists?

Does a Targa Tasmania car really need twice as much power as a car on Rallye Monte Carlo? It's not like Rally1 or even Rally2 or Rally3 vehicles are exactly slow.
Old 16 Jul 2023, 23:23 (Ref:4168705)   #61
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Power is not the problem, it is speed - inappropriate speed. Fast cars are insanely fast in those forest stages, any stages even, but even 'slow' cars can be driven fast.

How fast is too fast on a downhill, wet and greasy corner? You don't need to be in a 911RSR or a GTR to be too fast in that situation, and a restrictor is totally irrelevant there.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 05:31 (Ref:4168852)   #62
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Extinct like the Tassie Tiger, according to a former Targa class winner.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 07:40 (Ref:4168860)   #63
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TT has always been a picturesque demonstration of the beauty of Tasmania..

A genuine shame for tourism there also
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 Jul 2023, 19:18 (Ref:4168949)   #64
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could it be reconfigured as a tarmac rally within the Australian Rally Championship using shorter, lower speed stages?
Old 19 Jul 2023, 06:48 (Ref:4168982)   #65
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Nah, stick the knobblies on, a bunch of Super Oscars up front and tell them last one home buys breakfast ...
Old 24 Jul 2023, 06:14 (Ref:4169645)   #66
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If only it was that simple ....

'On average, 13 rock fishers drown each year, whereas there have been six fatalities in 30 years of Targa tarmac rallying. But take a guess which sport has been shut down due to safety concerns.'

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/lif...253ea36e5b3dfb

“Due to these unprecedented challenges, Targa Australia has advised Motorsport Australia that they can no longer align their business with the governing body and will not seek a contract renewal on future events run by Targa Australia.”

Motorsport Australia’s decisions come after three competitors died in the 2021 rally and another died last year. Motorsport Australia is the governing and sanctioning body for four-wheeled motorsport in Australia. It is affiliated with the FIA. And, critically, it provides insurance for event organisers such as Targa, which up until now is part of the control Motorsport Australia has over organisers.

Last edited by cavvy; 24 Jul 2023 at 06:17. Reason: added additional info
Old 24 Jul 2023, 08:20 (Ref:4169655)   #67
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Yeah, and how many of those six were in the last three or four events. FS HALF of them in the last event! Four of them in the last two!

I guess we can't expect much in the way of intelligent journalism from the Murdoch press, so the points of difference between a sanctioned motor racing event operating under State/Territory legislation and a pastime practiced freely and uncontrolled around the national coastline are irrelevant to their treatment.
Old 30 Jul 2023, 00:05 (Ref:4170482)   #68
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Targa on for 2024

Well, things are moving in the South Island: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-...alia/102664676

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, and who will carry the event insurance - the poor old taxpayers I suspect. Who will be the sanctioning body, or will they rely on some approvals from tasgov?

It had better work, rejecting the MA recommendations and going your own way sets up a liability path into the future, should there be further accidents/fatalities/serious injuries.

I'll be interested to see a comparison of what MA recommended and what the new regs require, and where any differences lie.
Old 30 Jul 2023, 07:26 (Ref:4170511)   #69
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Having moved to Hobart this year, I really want Targa to happen
Old 30 Jul 2023, 08:32 (Ref:4170528)   #70
Kingair
Veteran

Hopefully it goes ahead!