Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 22 Oct 2023, 12:13 (Ref:4182429)   #1251
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw something in the news recently that mentioned that the EU were going to bring in more of the VNUK rules , so that even ride on mowers etc will have to be insured .

Luckily the UK ditched this insanity a while ago , so that we will not have to insure race cars or anything else that does not go on the road .
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...-brexit-powers.

But it is possible it might apply to any racers going to Europe .

Cant find details at the moment , but the media does have a habit of not saying anything that proves the EU is a disaster .
Old 22 Oct 2023, 12:17 (Ref:4182431)   #1252
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Saw something in the news recently that mentioned that the EU were going to bring in more of the VNUK rules , so that even ride on mowers etc will have to be insured .

Maybe Gérard can give us a link?
Old 22 Oct 2023, 12:26 (Ref:4182433)   #1253
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I tried, Mike but all the news are rather old I fear. The best answer ATM could well be Tel's: The media does have a habit of not saying anything that proves the EU is a disaster.
Old 22 Oct 2023, 12:27 (Ref:4182434)   #1254
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Saw something in the news recently [...]
Cant find details at the moment , but the media does have a habit of not saying anything
Am I missing something here - or not understanding what you are saying?

It was in the news, but the media didn't report it?
Old 22 Oct 2023, 12:48 (Ref:4182441)   #1255
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Am I missing something here - or not understanding what you are saying?

It was in the news, but the media didn't report it?
Not in the MSM , just a small item .
https://blackout-news.de/aktuelles/v...n-im-anmarsch/
Old 22 Oct 2023, 12:54 (Ref:4182442)   #1256
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Surely the UK had the power to veto such matters when it was a member. Or it could have just followed the lead of some other countries by just not formally ratifying any diktat that came from Brussels that they didn't like. Seems to work really well for them.
Old 22 Oct 2023, 13:11 (Ref:4182447)   #1257
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Surely the UK had the power to veto such matters when it was a member. Or it could have just followed the lead of some other countries by just not formally ratifying any diktat that came from Brussels that they didn't like. Seems to work really well for them.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9006686.html
It does look like they are going to take away the right of member states to veto things they do not like .
Old 22 Oct 2023, 13:20 (Ref:4182449)   #1258
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9006686.html
It does look like they are going to take away the right of member states to veto things they do not like .

Only if other members don't veto what she wants.
Old 22 Oct 2023, 16:12 (Ref:4182461)   #1259
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
What a mess… When you think that all started with a Slovenian farmer knocked off by a ladder when driving a tractor on his private farm. Would be more simple to force Slovenian farmers to wear a crash helmet and give us a break! This world…
Old 22 Oct 2023, 17:35 (Ref:4182466)   #1260
Tel 911S
Veteran

Anyway , something completely different .
Had a very large truck load come through the area today .
Have never seen anything like it . About 100 Meters long , load was about 320 tons , and front and rear truck units . 36 axles , nearly all with 4 wheels .

Have driven a lot of different vehicles in my time , but this one was quite amazing .
Old 22 Oct 2023, 17:39 (Ref:4182467)   #1261
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Anyway , something completely different .
Had a very large truck load come through the area today .
Have never seen anything like it . About 100 Meters long , load was about 320 tons , and front and rear truck units . 36 axles , nearly all with 4 wheels .

Have driven a lot of different vehicles in my time , but this one was quite amazing .

Have found some pictures of it .
https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/23871915...y-ipswich-eye/
Old 22 Oct 2023, 17:50 (Ref:4182469)   #1262
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Was a bit of a monster, that required two drivers plus two steerers on the front and rear multi-wheel trailers.
Old 22 Oct 2023, 19:03 (Ref:4182479)   #1263
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FFord festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I watched some of it on the box and I think that there was about 2 or 3 spectators round the track for the last hour or so !
It was a bit different to last weekend !!!!
Pleased to say the semis and the final was attended by a decent crowd today along with some glorious autumn sunshine, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDBnBRfiOhk. Final is around 1hour 30 mins from the end. Returning home and watching the F1 racing from the USA is big let down after a great days entertainment from real racers.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 03:57 (Ref:4182540)   #1264
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In the 10-10ths drinking game we’ve just had a I watched real racing that’s better than F1. That’s down your drink. Although I realise that this may be downgraded to just two fingers at the next 10-10ths drinking game committee meeting because it is too common a trope.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 08:34 (Ref:4182559)   #1265
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Could it be because John Webb, who was a massive supporter of ff1600 ran Brands and Snetterton was independent at the time.
No, Snett was under the Grovewood umbrella by then. Think it was more to do with the feeling that Brands might be a more hospitable plave than Snett in November!
Old 23 Oct 2023, 09:25 (Ref:4182580)   #1266
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good info thanks John.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 13:37 (Ref:4182624)   #1267
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We are now in Luz camp site . Weather looks nice for a couple of days. All good at Jerez . Cars all finished . Happy days
Old 23 Oct 2023, 18:12 (Ref:4182661)   #1268
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Was a bit of a monster, that required two drivers plus two steerers on the front and rear multi-wheel trailers.

Watched some of the Supertruckers series on UK TV which features Alleleys - they do seem to have a huge amount of kit available to move immense loads!
Old 24 Oct 2023, 10:36 (Ref:4182750)   #1269
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
As there are many here who are far more tech savvy that I will ever be, I have a question that I am sure you will be able to answer.

My laptop runs on Windows 10, and on this machine as well as all the others I have had, I have downloaded Java and installed all the updates. For some time now, Oracle, who I believe now distribute Java, put up a message that I have not used Java since the last update and this message has appeared for at least 2 or 3 years.

So, my question is, do I still need Java loaded to read all websites nowadays; I know that website builders in the past required Java to be installed for the sites to be fully functional?

Thanks in anticipation for a correct answer.
Old 24 Oct 2023, 10:53 (Ref:4182754)   #1270
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Watched some of the Supertruckers series on UK TV which features Alleleys - they do seem to have a huge amount of kit available to move immense loads!

I saw something on the TV a few days ago concerning the transport of abnormal loads because the police were concerned that many hauliers were not complying with the regulation. Their experience was that something like 90% of those checked were not correct in some form or another.

This programme covered a recent check session that they ran alongside the various agencies to look at the hauliers documents, to weigh the vehicles and so on. If I am correct, not one of the vehicles passed their all of the checks, whether they were overloaded, their documents were in order, the loads secured properly and safely or that the drivers were moving the vehicles during the hours permitted in the permits provided for moving the loads.

The voice-over stated that it was believed that pretty well every case was driven (no pun intended) by the hauliers trying to squeeze more profit the contracts that they were fulfilling, like on haulier that had loaded five tractors on the trailer they were moving, which was also over weight, when it was considered that it was only safe to carry three tractors on that size of trailer - it was overhanging front and rear.
Old 24 Oct 2023, 11:13 (Ref:4182757)   #1271
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
As there are many here who are far more tech savvy that I will ever be, I have a question that I am sure you will be able to answer.

My laptop runs on Windows 10, and on this machine as well as all the others I have had, I have downloaded Java and installed all the updates. For some time now, Oracle, who I believe now distribute Java, put up a message that I have not used Java since the last update and this message has appeared for at least 2 or 3 years.

So, my question is, do I still need Java loaded to read all websites nowadays; I know that website builders in the past required Java to be installed for the sites to be fully functional?

Mike, I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable than me will give you a better answer but in my experience, I don't think Java is as essential as it once was.
I am saying this because at work we access a number of manufacturers systems in order to update vehicle service histories in their databases (as paper service record books apparently are a thing of the past). Five years ago we were advised NOT to update to the latest Java version as this would stop our access to a certain manufacturer. We disabled automatic updates at that time, and have not had any problems whatsoever.
(I also have a distant memory of a message on my home PC saying something like 'automatic Java updates are being discontinued' or 'Oracle is no longer supporting Java', but that of course be a figment of my imagination!)
Old 24 Oct 2023, 16:03 (Ref:4182814)   #1272
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
May I join Mike about Adobe PDF reader stange messages? Thanks. PS: Mac OS user here…
Old 25 Oct 2023, 06:17 (Ref:4182896)   #1273
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Peter, any plans to replace your electric Mustang with one of Alan Mann's new epower retro-mod 1960's Mustang?
Old 25 Oct 2023, 06:22 (Ref:4182897)   #1274
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
None at all. I sold the Mach E ages ago. Turned it into a new kitchen and a full fat Focus ST.
Old 25 Oct 2023, 21:54 (Ref:4183005)   #1275
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I run windows 10 and don't have Java and it all works fine. Unless you have a program that uses it or you are into some video games then you don't need it. I would disable it and if you have problems then just reinstate it
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Closed Thread