Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 25 Mar 2023, 17:22 (Ref:4149157)   #51
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Forgive the question, but if F4 and Britcar can afford to run the full GP layout, why can’t WEC?
Old 25 Mar 2023, 18:37 (Ref:4149166)   #52
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Betting you would find the pricing for tickets and usage are not the same for every weekend. WEC will want more from the track and expect the track knows it and can charge far more than F4 would be able to pay. Nevermind the crowd difference
Old 25 Mar 2023, 18:48 (Ref:4149169)   #53
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Forgive the question, but if F4 and Britcar can afford to run the full GP layout, why can’t WEC?
Isn't it the other way around? WEC want Silverstone to pay to host the event? And it was too much money for Silverstone.

Are F1 and WEC not unique in that the circuits pay for the events?
Old 26 Mar 2023, 12:00 (Ref:4149210)   #54
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I really miss the Silverstone WEC race. It was always something to look forward to, either in preparation for Le Mans or afterwards, depending on the calendar. I know there are plenty of Silverstone haters, but on a good day it was great to walk around and spectate from all around the track. Plus we always made it a full weekend with a couple of nights at the local Travelodge with two evenings of curry..... Good times.
The Silverstone Classic is a worthy alternative at the moment - some good racing including a couple of Masters of Endurance races which usually include some cool cars including one or two Pug 908's
Old 26 Mar 2023, 12:18 (Ref:4149212)   #55
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
The Silverstone Classic is a worthy alternative at the moment - some good racing including a couple of Masters of Endurance races which usually include some cool cars including one or two Pug 908's
I'm always disappointed in Classic events because most cars drive around at half throttle.

I'd rather watch a Citroen C1 get it's neck rung than a gorgeous Lola LMP driving in 4th gear at half revs.
Old 26 Mar 2023, 14:53 (Ref:4149219)   #56
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'm always disappointed in Classic events because most cars drive around at half throttle.

I'd rather watch a Citroen C1 get it's neck rung than a gorgeous Lola LMP driving in 4th gear at half revs.
Goodwood members meetings have good racing and good drivers. Saw two 1930s cars I think in a good spat with one running the other off into the grass.

1960s cars at LM Classic good too - 2 GT40s both on trailers after a good race on a damp track. I’m fact even the parade laps I was on hit the rev limiter a few times in 4th.

Silverstone Classic ok - always windy but camping and barn/pub and pizza van at Woodlands and loads of double decker buses make it a good event - especially with the infield parking car club deals before 31 March
Old 27 Mar 2023, 10:13 (Ref:4149340)   #57
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-c...hy-highlights/

Edwardian cars (not 1930s) going for it including the Fiat S 76, Blitzen Benz and a spinning Bugatti
Old 27 Mar 2023, 12:29 (Ref:4149356)   #58
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I went to the Classic a few years back and was really excited to hear that the 1991 Mansell Williams would be given a test run around the track. My hopes and dreams were sadly dashed somewhat when I saw it trundling into Maggotts on little more than tickover and doing about 60mph - and did so for the entire 2-3 laps it did.
Old 27 Mar 2023, 15:50 (Ref:4149389)   #59
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unless I completely misunderstood the reference, on the new TWISC Graham seemed to imply his latest thinking is that we could be headed back to COTA next year to replace Sebring as the US round.

Not necessarily a long-term thing but one of the options on the table seemingly.
Old 27 Mar 2023, 17:50 (Ref:4149408)   #60
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Unless I completely misunderstood the reference, on the new TWISC Graham seemed to imply his latest thinking is that we could be headed back to COTA next year to replace Sebring as the US round.

Not necessarily a long-term thing but one of the options on the table seemingly.
Yay. No wait, that other thing.
Old 27 Mar 2023, 18:03 (Ref:4149412)   #61
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was about to say that if they decide to move to another venue, COTA would be a good choice. The pit/paddock areas are more like what the WEC are used to, and it can take on a more normal Saturday/Sunday racing schedule. iMSA for Saturday, and WEC for Sunday. With Wednesday and Thursday for practice and testing, Friday for qualify.
Old 27 Mar 2023, 21:22 (Ref:4149427)   #62
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would be WEC alone, with whatever they want to bring along themselves
Old 27 Mar 2023, 22:32 (Ref:4149428)   #63
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I used to think cota was Texas paul Ricard. Somehow, going to the track in person negates some of that for me. Grand stands are cool when you're used to Sebring, the tower is cool when you're used to Sebring tribunes, and the t1 climb is impressive in person when you're used to road Atlanta. Not our country's finest motorsports moment, but there are worse places. Places cut into a square oval.
Old 28 Mar 2023, 16:38 (Ref:4149508)   #64
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
A rotating schedule for US tracks would certainly be interesting!
Old 28 Mar 2023, 21:33 (Ref:4149532)   #65
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
How about since the middle of the country has had a go with WEC, and the East Coast has as well, let's give the West (Best) Coast a shot. I'm thinking Laguna Seca or Sonoma. Plenty of hotels close to both locations.
Old 29 Mar 2023, 08:46 (Ref:4149566)   #66
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
How about since the middle of the country has had a go with WEC, and the East Coast has as well, let's give the West (Best) Coast a shot. I'm thinking Laguna Seca or Sonoma. Plenty of hotels close to both locations.
Laguna Seca would be epic!
Old 29 Mar 2023, 11:57 (Ref:4149587)   #67
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Doesn't Laguna Seca struggle to attract crowds for IMSA? I'm sure I heard Marshall saying it's generally quite a poorly attended event.

Albeit I guess pure spectator numbers isn't going to be the prime driver for this move, otherwise you'd just keep it at Sebring...
Old 29 Mar 2023, 11:59 (Ref:4149589)   #68
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Doesn't Laguna Seca struggle to attract crowds for IMSA? I'm sure I heard Marshall saying it's generally quite a poorly attended event.
Shame since the track layout is truly special (although a bit small)
Old 29 Mar 2023, 12:20 (Ref:4149592)   #69
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:

Albeit I guess pure spectator numbers isn't going to be the prime driver for this move, otherwise you'd just keep it at Sebring...
From what I've gathered the Historics and Indy are the bigger draws than IMSA. Plus Laguna is in a California state park with very very limited run hours, I think they don't have any unused time. Indy isn't likely moving, IMSA probably not as well and well the Monterey Historics are the Monterey Historics. That's not going anywhere or moving for anyone, the entire area celebrates the event. And the entry list is usually fantastic
Old 29 Mar 2023, 15:31 (Ref:4149607)   #70
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

...and Bahrain would be long gone.
Old 29 Mar 2023, 18:22 (Ref:4149620)   #71
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I wouldn't say that Laguna Seca struggles to attract crowds, camping is always full, you just don't usually see it on TV as it's further from the circuit than the fence line, and parking is usually pretty darn full. It seems Petit and Sebring are anomalies when it comes to spectator numbers, otherwise I'd put Laguna in the same attendance category with any other IMSA round.
Old 29 Mar 2023, 18:27 (Ref:4149621)   #72
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
From what I've gathered the Historics and Indy are the bigger draws than IMSA. Plus Laguna is in a California state park with very very limited run hours, I think they don't have any unused time. Indy isn't likely moving, IMSA probably not as well and well the Monterey Historics are the Monterey Historics. That's not going anywhere or moving for anyone, the entire area celebrates the event. And the entry list is usually fantastic
I don't think it's in a state park, but it used to be run by Monterey County, so that's where you may have gotten that impression. The problem with too many events at Laguna is that many high net worth individuals built multi-million dollar homes within earshot of the circuit (the track was there long before the houses, but you know how that goes), the NIMBYs have been vocal and likely add a lot to the county tax coffers, so that's the issue there.
Old 30 Mar 2023, 00:17 (Ref:4149644)   #73
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
It is still run by the county, believe it is technically a state park ceded to the county to manage. Or as they have done mismanage, they had multiple public investigations about money and corruption (handing contract to buddies and attempting coups within management). Believe they are back to the old management at a much higher markup and some extra money to spend. It costs the county money to run it and that was part of the problem, people in the county wanted it gone and many of the visitors don't actually stay within the county because of limited options. It's generally a giant shtshow of management and every time they don't vote to close it I'm amazed.
Old 1 Apr 2023, 01:55 (Ref:4149859)   #74
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
It’s not a state park, and there are plenty of accommodations nearby. Other than that I agree with you completely.
Old 1 Apr 2023, 11:42 (Ref:4149891)   #75
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Isn't it the other way around? WEC want Silverstone to pay to host the event? And it was too much money for Silverstone.
Silverstone can't break even at the price the WEC wants.

WEC wants a similar fee to something like World Superbikes. But Silverstone will sell >150,000 tickets to that event.

The biggest WEC crowd to date is 42,000, and that was in a year when Peugeot bought 8,000 tickets for its staff and their families.