Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Jan 2021, 23:21 (Ref:4028841)   #276
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Very very very wildly guesstimating the following for full season entries from looking at the Daytona grid

We know DPI is pretty safely 6, P2 could be anything but estimated to be 3, seems the P3 entries almost all look like full season cars.

GTE we know the corvettes and single porsche are confirmed, BMW a big maybe, Risi fat chance.

GTD is the more vague one, but I think there is roughly 5 cars at Daytona that won’t do full season (GRT x2, AF Corse, TF Sport, NTE???), of course that NTE entry is unannounced so including that in the list of Daytona only for now.

It looks like a conservative bet puts the grid at just over 30 for the season, which I think would be a nice grid!

DPI - 6
P2 - 3
P3 - 6/7
GTE - 3/5
GTD - 13/15

Total - 30/36
Thanks for the analysis. I thought a GRT car might be full season. Just speculation though. Biggest hope for me is that we get a combined GTLM/GTD grid of 18-20 cars so we can have those grid sizes for the All GT races. Lime Rock is ok with having a 16 car grid. But at a V.I.R even 18 cars looks small for a track that size.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 00:34 (Ref:4028853)   #277
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
Thanks for the analysis. I thought a GRT car might be full season. Just speculation though. Biggest hope for me is that we get a combined GTLM/GTD grid of 18-20 cars so we can have those grid sizes for the All GT races. Lime Rock is ok with having a 16 car grid. But at a V.I.R even 18 cars looks small for a track that size.
GRT plans to compete in all of the IMSA endurance races for GTD according to this article.

http://gt-place.com/2020/10/23/grass...meisterschaft/

I also don't think Winward or Sun Energy1 will be competing in IMSA for the full season but could be wrong. I try to keep tabs on most Mercedes GT3 teams and have not seen anything official about them running the full IMSA season. I would be more inclined to believe Winward plans to run the GTWC America season with their GT3 entry and continue in Pilot Challenge with the GT4.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 01:22 (Ref:4028860)   #278
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2Motorsport View Post
50 cars for Daytona 24H in 2021!

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/5...-for-rolex-24/

Great looking grid and I'm very excited for this race.
That will do nicely.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 02:13 (Ref:4028868)   #279
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2Motorsport View Post
GRT plans to compete in all of the IMSA endurance races for GTD according to this article.

http://gt-place.com/2020/10/23/grass...meisterschaft/

I also don't think Winward or Sun Energy1 will be competing in IMSA for the full season but could be wrong. I try to keep tabs on most Mercedes GT3 teams and have not seen anything official about them running the full IMSA season. I would be more inclined to believe Winward plans to run the GTWC America season with their GT3 entry and continue in Pilot Challenge with the GT4.
Winward sounds like they are working on full season plans but we all know how that goes in good years.

SunEnergy made no comment about full season and I would guess race at a time in the enduros is best case scenario there.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 05:52 (Ref:4028883)   #280
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Winward sounds like they are working on full season plans but we all know how that goes in good years.

Ward said, that Daytona is a test for 2022, because next year they´ll do the full season.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 17:00 (Ref:4029052)   #281
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great article on GT racing in IMSA by Marshal. https://racer.com/2021/01/14/opinion...-for-imsa-gts/

He is right about the BoP for "GTD-Pro". There is precedent that works in International GT Open. Those are the fastest GT3 cars on the track today in any series. I wonder if DTM might pull a big open BoP as well.

I always thought if Corvette ends up having to go with a GT3 C8R, then instead of Le Mans. Use Nurburgring as their European endurance adventure.
Old 19 Jan 2021, 17:33 (Ref:4030070)   #282
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
BMW Team RLL only doing the four Enduros in 2021
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...-for-2021.html
Old 19 Jan 2021, 19:06 (Ref:4030090)   #283
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
BMW Team RLL only doing the four Enduros in 2021
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...-for-2021.html
This is concerning for Lime Rock and V.I.R.
Old 19 Jan 2021, 19:20 (Ref:4030095)   #284
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lime Rock I would wait until the week before the race to concern myself with car counts, I would guess it's 50/50 at best at going forward. From what I hear from friends still in Va it's a state that can't tell what the rules and future will be and there's still a chance the Gov Not me in Blackface may cancel the event again.

And not sure missing 2 GTLM will change much for either. Lime Rock is just traffic all day so interesting in it's own way but that garbage chicane makes it a must skip for me, rather drive it in FM than watch the race. ViR is so massive and open losing 2 cars won't look like anything. And for both of those it's which Vette was going to be in front and not hit by a GTD guy trying to not get his line blocked.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 02:44 (Ref:4030153)   #285
WyldStallion
Veteran

Well with the way the IMSA GTLM sked is now, NAEC races are the first 3 events of the year for the class. So the impact of BMW R.L.L. not being there won't be felt all the way until July 4th holiday weekend which is CTMP.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 13:32 (Ref:4030646)   #286
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's the traditional food eaten at the Rolex 24? Failing that, Florida?

With England in a lockdown, me and my girlfriend are planning to make a big deal of it.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 13:37 (Ref:4030648)   #287
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

With England in a lockdown, me and my girlfriend are planning to make a big deal of it.
Other than gator and frog legs, I can only think of Cuban sandwiches, though that's more of a Miami thing and might be actually hard to get in Daytona. They are seriously great, though.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 14:20 (Ref:4030670)   #288
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

The only thing I can think of that I see in Florida and not too many other places is a grouper sandwich. It is just a nice piece of fish on a bun with some mayo and lettuce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Other than gator and frog legs, I can only think of Cuban sandwiches, though that's more of a Miami thing and might be actually hard to get in Daytona. They are seriously great, though.
That is funny, I had never thought of a Cuban being related to Miami before but it may have been invented there!

edit: just looked it up, it was invented in Tampa Florida, not Miami
Old 22 Jan 2021, 14:32 (Ref:4030676)   #289
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
So closer to Sebring than Miami or Daytona?
Old 22 Jan 2021, 14:55 (Ref:4030683)   #290
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking at the schedule, what session will set the grid for the "race that set's the grid for the 24" ? Also, is it all classes or just DPI & GTLM ? All I see on schedule is Q sessions for P2, P3 & GTD. I've got the beers in, and a couple steaks, ready to start 2021 Sportscar viewing and hoping this year isn't as foooked up as last year !! Stay cool everyone.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 16:21 (Ref:4030708)   #291
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
Looking at the schedule, what session will set the grid for the "race that set's the grid for the 24" ? Also, is it all classes or just DPI & GTLM ? All I see on schedule is Q sessions for P2, P3 & GTD. I've got the beers in, and a couple steaks, ready to start 2021 Sportscar viewing and hoping this year isn't as foooked up as last year !! Stay cool everyone.
Regular qualifying, all classes. Apparently it is not streamed.

https://www.imsa.com/events/2021-roa...-the-rolex-24/
Old 22 Jan 2021, 17:21 (Ref:4030721)   #292
GriffM3
Racer

United States
Houston, TX
GriffM3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Checking the lap times in 1st practice session GLTM and LMP3 are mixed together. Are they planning on running the same pace in the race? That will be a mess if so.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 17:33 (Ref:4030724)   #293
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffM3 View Post
Checking the lap times in 1st practice session GLTM and LMP3 are mixed together. Are they planning on running the same pace in the race? That will be a mess if so.
That's fine is that not what racing is supposed to be about. P3 cars will drop back eventually.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 18:07 (Ref:4030730)   #294
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffM3 View Post
will be the same situation of lmpc... maybe lmp3 will be slightly faster on qualifying but being a class made of mainly am drivers, during the race gtlm will have a better overall pace, considering also lmp3 will need to refuel more often than gtlm.
I've read some technical bulletin .pdf and now IMSA lmp2 have revlimit set to 8700rpm, very close to their original power (last year was 8250rpm)
https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/uplo...s-01142021.pdf
Old 22 Jan 2021, 18:50 (Ref:4030735)   #295
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
will be the same situation of lmpc... maybe lmp3 will be slightly faster on qualifying but being a class made of mainly am drivers, during the race gtlm will have a better overall pace, considering also lmp3 will need to refuel more often than gtlm.
I've read some technical bulletin .pdf and now IMSA lmp2 have revlimit set to 8700rpm, very close to their original power (last year was 8250rpm)
https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/uplo...s-01142021.pdf

Maybe won't be faster in qualifying as bronze drivers are mandated to the qualifying driver.

Thought LMP2 cars were going to be slower this year than last. Maybe not.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 20:37 (Ref:4030745)   #296
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Maybe won't be faster in qualifying as bronze drivers are mandated to the qualifying driver.

The P2 cars were slowed down previously, but not this year. I think they may have actually been given more revs this year than last year's Daytona.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 20:47 (Ref:4030750)   #297
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
That could be related with the new LMP2 regulations at WEC to slow down the LMP2 to make room for the LMH. The new regulations could make the LMP2 faster at IMSA than last year when those cars losed a lot of power. Seems a good new to me.
Old 23 Jan 2021, 00:24 (Ref:4030766)   #298
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mr Turtle is there
https://youtu.be/vGBw8V_-WvU
Old 23 Jan 2021, 01:38 (Ref:4030777)   #299
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The only thing I can think of that I see in Florida and not too many other places is a grouper sandwich. It is just a nice piece of fish on a bun with some mayo and lettuce.

That is funny, I had never thought of a Cuban being related to Miami before but it may have been invented there!

edit: just looked it up, it was invented in Tampa Florida, not Miami
Tampa and Miami are still arguing about the sandwich. Key West factors in also.

For me Daytona 24 food is grilled italian sausages with onions and peppers. There is always at least one stand doing that.
Old 23 Jan 2021, 10:06 (Ref:4030798)   #300
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

even if likely gtlm and lmp3 have a comparable top speed (infact we should expect a lot of risky diving bomb overtakes at the end of straights) lmp3 have however a better cornering speed than gtlm, infact as easily expected in FP2 best lmp3 is 1.43.5, best gtlm is 1.44... slightly faster in qualifying but race pace will be a whole different story.
About lmp2, the "standard" revlimit is 9000rpm where gibson engine reaches 600hp, last year in IMSA (and likely from this year in WEC) was tuned down to 8250rpm with a power of 560hp. Guess now should be in the range of 580hp