Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Dec 2023, 06:51 (Ref:4188200)   #1
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TCR Australia 2024

New broadcast deal announced today, free live stream on 7+plus plus some FTA content on 7mate. Cue the same people who complained about STAN now complaining about ad breaks or that 7+ is too hard to find…….

Given the narrative that the STAN deal was holding back the class and putting off competitors, I would assume there will be a full grid for Rd1 at Sandown on February 10-11.

Who will be in the cars?

HMO Hyundai - Buchan, Sweeney? Third Car? Another Elantra to come out?

Wall Racing - D’Alberto to stay with the new car? Harris brothers for a full season?

GRM - Four Peugeots presumably again? Cameron? Cox? Bargwanna? Garland?

ASM - Olyphant was on a two year deal wasnt he? Up-spec’d Lynk or the same old one?

MPC - Audi’s to continue? Will Brown allowed by T8 to compete? Seuter owns his car correct? What about McDougal?

Cupra - Presumably Carl Cox Motorsport with Clemente does another season in the relatively new car?

Any other new cars rumoured?
Any other new drivers rumoured? Clay Richards?

What about the likes of Luke King & Jay Hanson who’ve seemingly disappeared into Carrera Cup and Super2 oblivion since they left?
Old 5 Dec 2023, 05:48 (Ref:4188314)   #2
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
New broadcast deal announced today, free live stream on 7+plus plus some FTA content on 7mate. Cue the same people who complained about STAN now complaining about ad breaks or that 7+ is too hard to find…….

Given the narrative that the STAN deal was holding back the class and putting off competitors, I would assume there will be a full grid for Rd1 at Sandown on February 10-11.

Who will be in the cars?

HMO Hyundai - Buchan, Sweeney? Third Car? Another Elantra to come out?

Wall Racing - D’Alberto to stay with the new car? Harris brothers for a full season?

GRM - Four Peugeots presumably again? Cameron? Cox? Bargwanna? Garland?

ASM - Olyphant was on a two year deal wasnt he? Up-spec’d Lynk or the same old one?

MPC - Audi’s to continue? Will Brown allowed by T8 to compete? Seuter owns his car correct? What about McDougal?

Cupra - Presumably Carl Cox Motorsport with Clemente does another season in the relatively new car?

Any other new cars rumoured?
Any other new drivers rumoured? Clay Richards?

What about the likes of Luke King & Jay Hanson who’ve seemingly disappeared into Carrera Cup and Super2 oblivion since they left?
I’m not sure that narrative was thought by anyone to be the main reason.Although Stan didn’t help.
The main reason it has fallen away is that since Mr PAYCE took the pot of gold away the money just isn’t there.
Also there will actually be less FTA broadcast TV next year.In 2023 there were 3 hours each round on 9.For all but 2 or 3 rounds next year the coverage will only be on 7’s streaming platform.Good if you are committed to watching it but out of sight for the casual viewer.Same arrangement and probable profile as the Trophy series this year.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 06:28 (Ref:4188412)   #3
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
I’m not sure that narrative was thought by anyone to be the main reason.
It was literally the reason that the likes of speedcafe and V8Sleuth kept trotting out as the reason for the SpeedSeries not going well, week after week.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 10:05 (Ref:4188420)   #4
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Meanwhile, Mr D'alberto has confirmed he'll line up in the FL5 Civic, with Honda money.
Old 12 Dec 2023, 08:10 (Ref:4188875)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Hall brothers are also back.

The family has acquired the FL5 Civic Mr Girolami ran during the Australian leg of the World Tour.
Old 13 Dec 2023, 04:03 (Ref:4188920)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The Hall brothers are also back.

The family has acquired the FL5 Civic Mr Girolami ran during the Australian leg of the World Tour.
Harris?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Dec 2023, 10:56 (Ref:4189098)   #7
one five five
Veteran

99 Motorsport are in top with the ex-Mostert/Brown Audi, second car mooted too, assuming a fellow Audi

GRM are working on new model Peugeots
Old 17 Dec 2023, 08:42 (Ref:4189306)   #8
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Harris?
Yes, my bad.
Old 26 Dec 2023, 01:39 (Ref:4189903)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A View of TCRA
Old 27 Dec 2023, 12:16 (Ref:4190000)   #10
Umai Naa
Veteran

The author has undersold the angst among the teams, from what I'm learning.

Perhaps, if the fixed operating costs weren't so allegedly high, then maybe a Super2 budget isn't required to rent a TCR car?
Old 2 Jan 2024, 13:19 (Ref:4190595)   #11
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Perhaps, if the fixed operating costs weren't so allegedly high, then maybe a Super2 budget isn't required to rent a TCR car?
This has been the issue, with no funds from racing going to any teams, the costs to lease is completely out of step with the exposure generated pushing talent to PCC, TA2, Super2/3 etc.

Meanwhile ARG blames Supercars for their talent moving to those categories for licensing reasons.
Old 18 Jan 2024, 09:56 (Ref:4192265)   #12
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Josh Buchan and Hyundai back for 2 years:
https://tcraustralia.com/2024/01/18/...SM1CyckCV1eVlo
Old 20 Jan 2024, 14:53 (Ref:4192574)   #13
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Nobody is going to pay to advertise a boring grocery getter that isn't even a volume seller anymore.

People do however pay money to promote their brand via aspirational cars like the Mustang and Camaro because people ASPIRE to own them.
You'd be surprised how many people aspire to own mildly souped-up grocery getters like the Volkswagen Golf R or Audi A3 RS3, even though they aren't that interesting.

[The Hyundai i30 N sedan is also proving popular for its value for money among (largely) new members to the club of Hyundai enthusiasts.]

TBH I don't think cars like the Mustang or Camaro are on the radar of VW Audi enthusiasts, nor necessarily to Hyundai enthusiasts buying i30 Ns either. The Audi RS5 was probably the closest thing in the VW Audi space back when that had a V8, but that was years ago. Hyundai used to have a Genesis V6 coupe which was similar to a V6 Mustang or V6 Camaro, but this was never offered in Australia.

In any case, the old Mustang Shelby GT350R was lovely, but I have no interest in the new Mustang GT as there is no steering feel and the suspension is too soft (much like the aforementioned Golf R and Audi RS3). It would be nice if Ford would bring out more of a honed version again and less of a cruiser, but we need to wait and see on that I guess.

Steering feel and handling was something that Chevrolet definitely got right on the Camaro. If only Ford would let the engineers have final say like Chevrolet do, instead of giving priority to requests for "less steering effort" and "a softer ride" from customer focus groups! But then the Camaro didn't have the rental car market like the Mustang did and still does, so that's why it doesn't exist anymore (aside from possible buyers who were also put off by the claustrophobic cabin styling).

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 20 Jan 2024 at 15:08.
Old 24 Jan 2024, 06:56 (Ref:4193115)   #14
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
You'd be surprised how many people aspire to own mildly souped-up grocery getters like the Volkswagen Golf R or Audi A3 RS3, even though they aren't that interesting.
<irrelevant blahblah removed>

None of these cars are in the top 10 in national sales. Some of them don't even have a future.

Those things are also in TCR, which also has a questionable future - they moved to eTCR, fragmenting their manufacturer ranks - I enjoyed the racing actually but it's already dead.
Old 24 Jan 2024, 07:20 (Ref:4193117)   #15
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

[...]

In any case, the old Mustang Shelby GT350R was lovely,
I'm interested to see that a 5-cyl 2.5L car generating 401hp is considered 'mildly souped-up', but a 5L car generating 526hp is 'lovely'.

Out of curiosity, have you ever driven an RS3 to understand how hard / soft the suspension is?
Old 24 Jan 2024, 08:00 (Ref:4193121)   #16
Mixer
Veteran

I live in Sydney and I would describe the RS3 ride as unbearable.

It's why the RSQ3 exists... Imagine that
Old 27 Jan 2024, 16:45 (Ref:4193562)   #17
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'm interested to see that a 5-cyl 2.5L car generating 401hp is considered 'mildly souped-up', but a 5L car generating 526hp is 'lovely'.

Out of curiosity, have you ever driven an RS3 to understand how hard / soft the suspension is?
I have not. I understand it is very soft compared to cars I like, like the Civic Type R and Megane RS Trophy, but if the transient response and body control is equivalent to those feel free to correct me!

Look at the roll (and listen to the tyres) when compared to the Civic, how is that not soft, am I missing something?
Audi RS3 L'Argus test
Civic Type R LE L'Argus test

I like hoppy/darty and eager to turn. Remember the old Super Tourers? So fun!

The Civic has that classic hoppiness/overdamping which just makes things fun! Eager to turn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I live in Sydney and I would describe the RS3 ride as unbearable.
I don't understand how people like numb steering and soft sidewall tyres.

The road is perfectly smooth? You don't feel anything.
The road is bumpy? You still don't feel anything.

Perfect for a Buick Park Avenue, but for cars that are meant to be fun it makes everything the same, I'm not a fan.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 27 Jan 2024 at 17:09.
Old 3 Feb 2024, 04:49 (Ref:4194896)   #18
one five five
Veteran

Olyphant has moved from ASM to HMO.

Where’s Sweeney going? His website says he’s running with HMO in TCR in 2024, but also says his plans will be announced shortly…..confusing?
Any truth to rumours that he felt the team favoured Buchan over him? One rumour even suggested a second hand turbo was used at Bathurst?

Who’s driving the Lynk & Co, or are ASM and the car gone?
Old 3 Feb 2024, 06:51 (Ref:4194902)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Olyphant has moved from ASM to HMO.

Where’s Sweeney going? His website says he’s running with HMO in TCR in 2024, but also says his plans will be announced shortly…..confusing?
Any truth to rumours that he felt the team favoured Buchan over him? One rumour even suggested a second hand turbo was used at Bathurst?

Who’s driving the Lynk & Co, or are ASM and the car gone?
Wasn’t the championship winner in a current shape car, and Mr Sweeney in the prior model?
Old 3 Feb 2024, 08:27 (Ref:4194911)   #20
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Wasn’t the championship winner in a current shape car, and Mr Sweeney in the prior model?
Correct.

Though I’ve never established it the reason Sweeney was in the old model was because they couldn’t afford two new models, or because Hyundai wanted them to keep advertising the hatch model alongside the sedan?
Old 3 Feb 2024, 08:30 (Ref:4194914)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Mr Clemente Out!
Old 3 Feb 2024, 09:22 (Ref:4194920)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 4 Feb 2024, 03:06 (Ref:4195032)   #23
Umai Naa
Veteran

What happened to Mr Clemente's Cupra backing?
Old 4 Feb 2024, 03:15 (Ref:4195033)   #24
Umai Naa
Veteran

Current entries:

Wall Racing -

Tony D'Alberto Civic FL5
Brad Harris Civic FL5
Will Harris Civic FK7

HMO -

Josh Buchan Elantra N
Tom Oliphant i30N

99 Motorsport -

Marcus LaDelle Audi RS3

Team Soutar -

Zac Soutar Audi RS3
Glenn Nirwan Audi RS3

GRM -

Aaron Cameron Peugeot 308
Ryan Casha Peugeot 308
Ben Bargwanna Peugeot 308
Old 4 Feb 2024, 06:00 (Ref:4195046)   #25
one five five
Veteran

Presumably Cox in the fourth GRM Peugeot and someone in the ASM Lynk will be added

I’d assume any new entries would have been announced by now

The 7plus effect must be a long game…..