Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Mar 2002, 07:37 (Ref:229778)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How Do I Become a Motor Racing Commentator?

OK, I'm 15, and I want to be the next Murray Walker. I have what I think is a board knowledge of racing (historically, and basic technical stuff as well), and I have a decent voice for the job I think

What do I do now? What steps should I take?

Regards from the Murray Walker of the future
Old 7 Mar 2002, 08:57 (Ref:229799)   #2
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7 Mar 2002, 09:40 (Ref:229819)   #3
Y! da Man!
Rookie

Y! da Man! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
come one calais...wat about a bit of encouragement??...

its not simple...u have to be established the that field dude...
Old 7 Mar 2002, 10:07 (Ref:229834)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and have many contacts on the inside.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 10:19 (Ref:229843)   #5
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, you can... enter on the world of the TV coverage. Try to contact the reporters, or journalists.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 10:43 (Ref:229855)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ideas:

Become a journo and show an immense array of knowledge about the sport.

Be able to talk clearly, have a friendly personality and get on well with people and make contacts within a network.

Luck!
Old 7 Mar 2002, 11:32 (Ref:229875)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks people, I know it may seem like a dream, and yes, it's is VERY unlikely, but it's always nice to set yourself high goals and have somewhere to aim. More realistically, commentating at national level motorsport would be great, and is something that is more in sight.

Anyway, I'm still at high school, but I've decided to go down a journalism career and see what comes out of it - I guess we'll just to wait and see.

Regarding the immense knowledge bit, I think I've got that covered - seriously, I might have only been watching F1 for half a decade or so, but I've research into the past that I've heard all the stories - really, I think I've got no problem there.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 11:34 (Ref:229876)   #8
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Re: How Do I Become a Motor Racing Commentator?

Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
board
hmm, just so I don't look like an idiot, I meant to say broad.....I was in a rush
Old 7 Mar 2002, 12:19 (Ref:229909)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think I started out my commentary life standing at the back of the commentary box, pointing out the commentator's errors, before one day they stuffed me behind the mic. Since then I've been lucky enough to be involved with the V8 Supercars (Shell and Konicas), Procar, Power Tour, hillclimbs, burnout comps, and everything in between. The best bet is to annoy whoever is in charge until they crack

Come along to QR on Sunday- there is a multi-club event, with only about 60 cars entered. It's a good place to start, and if you do stuff up, nobody is there to hear it
Old 7 Mar 2002, 17:48 (Ref:230080)   #10
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Re: How Do I Become a Motor Racing Commentator?

Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ

hmm, just so I don't look like an idiot, I meant to say broad.....I was in a rush
Well, you've got the typical commentator's errors though!
Old 7 Mar 2002, 18:04 (Ref:230096)   #11
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking and acting like a complete turkey (see James Allen) and coming out with similarly uninformed diatribe and missing what's going on (see James Allen) seems to get you a job.
Old 8 Mar 2002, 18:20 (Ref:231013)   #12
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps you could drive F1 cars for 13 years or so, start your own PR firm...
Old 9 Mar 2002, 10:36 (Ref:231548)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Crash test, what a great offer!

Actually I was going to say that here in the Uk guys like Brian Jones, the commentator at Brands Hatch, run schools especially for people who want to follow in their footsteps. They also run schools for racing drivers to hone their PR skills and get their presentations together for prospective sponsors.

Well Crash Test, I hope DNQ takes up your kind offer. What a star you are!!!
Old 9 Mar 2002, 11:27 (Ref:231573)   #14
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Well Crash Test, I hope DNQ takes up your kind offer. What a star you are!!!
Tragically it's not possible for me, busy weekend, sadly Thanks for the encouragement though, people. I think journalism is the road I'll go down, hopefully in the sports area. I'll just have to wait and see what the future holds.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 11:29 (Ref:231575)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cheers Stephen!

There are race meetings in the local area a few times a month, and I'd always be too happy to show people around. The only problem I can see is the age of 15 bit. To sign on to get in free etc, and to get into the hot pit and around the edge of the track, the disclaimer says you have to be 18. But saying that, there is normally just a car load of us goons who drive through the front gate, so getting in probably won't be too much of a drama.

One thing I must admit is that I was an horrendously nervous public speaking before I started commentating. I could hardly stand in front of a class of 20 people and do speaches at school etc. But because you are talking about something you know and love, it's no drama. Really, it's a bit of a buzz working with pros like Barry Oliver, David Lane, Craig Denyer etc, and standing in front of 30,000 people talking about Cat Food at the QLD 500
Old 9 Mar 2002, 11:55 (Ref:231599)   #16
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to be a commentator too. When I am playing GP3 the words just fly out
Old 9 Mar 2002, 11:56 (Ref:231600)   #17
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
The only problem I can see is the age of 15 bit.
Well, I am a law-abiding citizen, so no chance of that seriously though, thanks for the kind offer, maybe one day I'll give it some thought - at the moment, I think I need a few more years watching Speedweek before I try anything drastic

BTW, Crash, it was weird to hear you do the trackside comments at Lakeside last year for the Konica V8's - it was funny, just sitting there when over the PA they say 'Mark Walker,' and I thougth, 'hey, that's the bloke from ten-tenths' - I am gonna miss the V8's at Lakeside
Old 9 Mar 2002, 12:00 (Ref:231606)   #18
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
I'm sure with the amount you talk on MSN (lol) and the questions you'll ask you'd be good enough for the job now Scott.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 12:06 (Ref:231609)   #19
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Fuller
I'd love to be a commentator too. When I am playing GP3 the words just fly out
LOL, if you REALLY want to practice, download some F1 videos of the net, preferrably the ones with no commentary (try F1onboard.com) and try those - but don't try and imitate Murray Walker, or you'll sound like a goose
Old 9 Mar 2002, 12:17 (Ref:231618)   #20
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
I dont - I do it in my style lol
Old 9 Mar 2002, 12:34 (Ref:231636)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Re: How Do I Become a Motor Racing Commentator?

Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
OK, I'm 15, and I want to be the next Murray Walker. I have what I think is a board knowledge of racing (historically, and basic technical stuff as well), and I have a decent voice for the job I think

What do I do now? What steps should I take?

Regards from the Murray Walker of the future
You could start by finding out how horse racing commentators train for their job. I saw a film clip once where this young lad trained by rolling different coloured marbles down a gutter and calling the positions of the different marbles (by assigned name)by watching them through a pair of binoculors. Australian race callers are reknowned as the best in the world, and have called races in Hong Kong from as long ago as I can remember. (This is the top level in world horse racing, if you don't know yet). They have very clear voices, and their capability to go through a large field is uncanny. Just listen to any Melbourne Cup broadcast, and then compare it with any race call from the United States. I reckon if you can correctly call a race with a field as large as the Melbourne Cup, and if you have a sound knowledge of motor racing history, then you will have no problems being a race commentator. I wish you good luck.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 12:38 (Ref:231640)   #22
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
"BTW, Crash, it was weird to hear you do the trackside comments at Lakeside last year for the Konica V8's - it was funny, just sitting there when over the PA they say 'Mark Walker,' and I thougth, 'hey, that's the bloke from ten-tenths' - I am gonna miss the V8's at Lakeside"
- Absolutely, that last race meeting was an absolute cracker. Sooo many fantastic memories, starting Friday morning when I was the first person through the gate (bloody hell, I got there early...). The having a ride in a GTP car, interviewing everyone in the pits and on the grid, and then up until last week, my last ever lap of the place- stuffed in the rear of a Saab convertible...
Old 9 Mar 2002, 12:39 (Ref:231641)   #23
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
LOL - good story VB, I'll pop down to Big-W and buy some marbles tomorrow Thanks for wishing me good luck. Chances of success are VERY LOW, but there is nothing wrong with setting high goals.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 19:40 (Ref:231819)   #24
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash, you could use the theme from the TV show " Walker " as your intro music, an absolute classic!!!
Old 9 Mar 2002, 23:17 (Ref:231924)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
LOL - good story VB, I'll pop down to Big-W and buy some marbles tomorrow Thanks for wishing me good luck. Chances of success are VERY LOW, but there is nothing wrong with setting high goals.
Hey!! I was serious
Most importantly, you must have a clear voice - if you can figure out what Louise Goodman mumbles in the pits, then you are better than I am because I can't understand a word of her interviews.
Secondly, you must be able to talk virtually non-stop, and in a motor race, that is very difficult because very often, nothing is happening apart from one car following another on the screen. So you will have to make up stories about the drivers involved, and that means you need an extensive memory bank of motor racing history that you can recall. viz. this battle reminds me of the time when Nigel fought it out with Piquet at ......, when Picquet got the better of Nigel, ...or that ended in tears for both of them. You cannot let the sound go dead on the air. It would help if you had the facility to switch to trackside mikes and bring the sound of the cars approaching and exiting the corner in stereo.
You need to develop your own personality.
As for theme songs, Fleetwood Mac has a superb track that the BBC used way back, and that I am sure fellow posters here will tell you which track it is.