Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 May 2019, 18:39 (Ref:3903546)   #241
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year they introduced a new qualifying format that combines the average of the three drivers to set the grid position. So this works very well, as it allows the PRO cars to start at the front rather than have many of them behind some PRO-AM cars qualified by their PRO driver.

Except this time a lot of cars were unable to set three laps due to the red flag in Q1...
Old 14 May 2019, 14:49 (Ref:3903724)   #242
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
I agree the new system works well, it's a much better representation of where the combined crew should be. It's a concept that has been worth giving a go. However they need to sort out the red flag problem as you say

Still another good weekend of racing, the series is still going strong, which is good as for it to survive this long and still get a big grid shows how well managed the series is
Old 14 May 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3903732)   #243
Anyopenroad
Racer

European Union
London
Anyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley speed 8 View Post
This year they introduced a new qualifying format that combines the average of the three drivers to set the grid position.
Is that new for this year? I thought they'd always done that. There has certainly been a three-part qualifying session for years.
Old 14 May 2019, 15:20 (Ref:3903737)   #244
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At a time when even the Indycar folks try to stay green as long as possible and even avoid FCY for a single car incident, it's a pity SRO keep holding on to the FCY - SC thing.

Some cars made massive profits by pitting under the FCY, others lost heavily because the erased gaps.
Plus, it takes so so long before the racing resumes.

Sometimes there is a very good reason to deploy the safety car, and then I have no issues with it. Sometimes however you wonder why they go through all that procedure.
IMO they don't need it to spice things up, especially not at the Spa 24hours.
If they could just get that right ...
Old 14 May 2019, 17:47 (Ref:3903764)   #245
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The reason the commentator said for the FCY->SC is that FCY is safer to deploy as it brings speeds down instantly, and SC is safer to restart as everyone speeds up together.

I don't buy that one bit tbh.
Old 14 May 2019, 18:54 (Ref:3903772)   #246
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Is that new for this year? I thought they'd always done that. There has certainly been a three-part qualifying session for years.
The average of the 3 drivers was used already last year, I think. Before that they had the same 3 sessions - Q1, Q2, Q3 - but then just the fastest lap of one of the 3 drivers counted.
Old 15 May 2019, 13:30 (Ref:3903934)   #247
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The reason the commentator said for the FCY->SC is that FCY is safer to deploy as it brings speeds down instantly, and SC is safer to restart as everyone speeds up together.

I don't buy that one bit tbh.
Even Graham Goodwin at the This Week in Sportscars podcast just said that its his opinion that its "made for tv". It just makes the TV worse I think. This madness must stop immediately.
Old 15 May 2019, 15:53 (Ref:3903967)   #248
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
The average of the 3 drivers was used already last year, I think. Before that they had the same 3 sessions - Q1, Q2, Q3 - but then just the fastest lap of one of the 3 drivers counted.
Yeah, I checked again and you are correct. It was definitely there last year
Old 15 May 2019, 16:42 (Ref:3903977)   #249
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Even Graham Goodwin at the This Week in Sportscars podcast just said that its his opinion that its "made for tv". It just makes the TV worse I think. This madness must stop immediately.
I think GG is spot on with this one.
Old 16 May 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3904191)   #250
Anyopenroad
Racer

European Union
London
Anyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Photos from SIlverstone: https://bit.ly/2WNzhZP

Sillystone isn't the easiest for pics. It's not very pretty and the great potential shots at Club, Copse, Maggotts/Becketts are denied by not having the grandstands open (this, along with not allowing spectators in on Fridays, is a real bugbear of mine).

One excellent spot is Luffield, which is where I was for qualifying. As this was also the brightest weather of the day, almost half the pictures here are from those three short sessions rather than the race itself.

Enjoy!
Old Yesterday, 21:17 (Ref:3904562)   #251
dwh43scale
Racer

United Kingdom
In exile from Derbyshire in t'South
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Blancpain Flickr gallery at the link below - also you can find some Lambos and Renault single seaters in other albums.

There's already a spectator snappers guide to Silverfence on https://www.pistonclick.com/silverstone-guide - and my event report with some more hints will follow soon. Hope it's helpful.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/...57708492748615