Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2018, 20:42 (Ref:3825078)   #181
broadrun96
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
United States
Posts: 4,237
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Will Power is "good with any kind if milk". Damn right!
Ed bringing old the old guy contingent with buttermilk. And wonder if Tony was asked then Leist right after him with the "I don't care the temp" response.

Thankfully no conspiracy and complaints with someone asking for OJ, his own OJ after the race.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
broadrun96 is online now  
__________________
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 20:46 (Ref:3825079)   #182
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 943
EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
We had 3 passes in 4 minutes during the side-by-side commercial break towards the end (one of which was for the lead), and we had Rossi make several into turn 3 whilst not on a restart. I mean, I guess passes were rare...if you ignore the passes.
If you ignore the context. Some of those were lapped cars and cars having to save a load of fuel.
There were simply far, far fewer passes and almost no lead changes on track. That's a fact you cannot deny. We were promised the opposite, because the myth that less downforce = better racing still persists.
EffectiveSprinkles is offline  
Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3825080)   #183
broadrun96
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
United States
Posts: 4,237
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
If you ignore the context. Some of those were lapped cars and cars having to save a load of fuel.
There were simply far, far fewer passes and almost no lead changes on track. That's a fact you cannot deny. We were promised the opposite, because the myth that less downforce = better racing still persists.
We get it, you hate the new kit even though the old kit made for terrible racing and made HPD look like they forgot aero every so often. Bring FACTS to make an argument, so far I've seen no numbers from either of you just the usual you're wrong bashing.

Some of us actually read articles and interviews Ankit the new aero kit from drivers, owners, engineers. I know, it's hard but actual information can be useful and informative. Passing was up at PIR this year and was expected to be up at Indy. However, up is relative as I believe last year was one of the lowest passes for lead races in a while. And higher temps supposedly massively impact the car's handling.

Also it's not a myth about low DF for this kit. It's WHERE the DF comes from, it's close to last year's levels but much less tuneable as the majority comes from the underbody not the wings. But reading can be hard

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
broadrun96 is online now  
__________________
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 21:05 (Ref:3825082)   #184
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 943
EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
We get it, you hate the new kit even though the old kit made for terrible racing and made HPD look like they forgot aero every so often. Bring FACTS to make an argument, so far I've seen no numbers from either of you just the usual you're wrong bashing.
The racing was actually great. IndyCar has been amazing to watch the last few years. FACTS: The years since 2012 had more lead changes and passing than at any point in Indy history. Especially the last two years it was possible to keep the lead but it was also possible to pass if you set it up correctly. That's why it slightly went down last year as well. We've also had passes for the win in the final laps more often than ever as well. Has everybody forgotten 2014 already? That was a perfect ending because it was both possible to attack and to defend as well. That's the right balance, and we saw absolutely none of that today.

Quote:

Some of us actually read articles and interviews Ankit the new aero kit from drivers, owners, engineers. I know, it's hard but actual information can be useful and informative. Passing was up at PIR this year and was expected to be up at Indy. However, up is relative as I believe last year was one of the lowest passes for lead races in a while. And higher temps supposedly massively impact the car's handling.
I've read those too. Pointless drivel for the most part. Pagenaud suggesting it was going to be a 'draft happy race', where the hell did he get that idea?

Quote:

Also it's not a myth about low DF for this kit. It's WHERE the DF comes from, it's close to last year's levels but much less tuneable as the majority comes from the underbody not the wings. But reading can be hard
So, where is the better racing then? And no downforce levels are significantly lower than last year while having more drag.

https://racer.com/2018/05/19/insight...uning-options/

Last edited by EffectiveSprinkles; 27 May 2018 at 21:13.
EffectiveSprinkles is offline  
Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 21:12 (Ref:3825085)   #185
broadrun96
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
United States
Posts: 4,237
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
The racing was actually great. IndyCar has been amazing to watch the last few years. FACTS: The years since 2012 had more lead changes and passing than at any point in Indy history. Especially the last two years it was possible to keep the lead but it was also possible to pass if you set it up correctly. That's why it slightly went down last year as well. We've also had passes for the win in the final laps more often than ever as well. Has everybody forgotten 2014 already? That was a perfect ending because it was both possible to attack and to defend as well. That's the right balance, and we saw absolutely none of that today.


I've read those too. Pointless drivel for the most part.


So, where is the better racing then?
I was commenting purely on your bs and will frankly insanely ill-informed claims of lower DF=better racing being Indycar's goal. That part is pure and utter bs as that was never the intent. Cleaner DF with less loss following a car was the goal but hey why read the actual documents when you can be an internet pundit without having to put your name on it or actually use facts. The FACY is you are blatantly uniformed or just pigheaded and can not admit when you're wrong

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
broadrun96 is online now  
__________________
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 21:14 (Ref:3825086)   #186
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 17,003
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
If you ignore the context. Some of those were lapped cars and cars having to save a load of fuel.
There were simply far, far fewer passes and almost no lead changes on track. That's a fact you cannot deny. We were promised the opposite, because the myth that less downforce = better racing still persists.
Regarding overtaking, bear in mind the track was green as it had rained the previous night and the track needed to rubber in, which it did during the course of the race.

The other thing to bear in mind is, this is a 500 mile race not a sprint race and I don't expect drivers to go hell for leather and overtake each other at every opportunity, this race requires a measured approach, which was exemplified by Will Power.
bjohnsonsmith is offline  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 21:22 (Ref:3825088)   #187
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 943
EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Cleaner DF with less loss following a car was the goal
Nonsense, and even if it was it very clearly failed massively. All the PR regurgitated explicitly mentioned the less downforce part, and as you can see in the link I provided above the car actually does have quite a lot less downforce than before.
EffectiveSprinkles is offline  
Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 21:24 (Ref:3825089)   #188
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 943
EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The other thing to bear in mind is, this is a 500 mile race not a sprint race and I don't expect drivers to go hell for leather and overtake each other at every opportunity, this race requires a measured approach, which was exemplified by Will Power.
That was the case the last few years as well, yet we still saw a lot more passing and lead changes. Nothing about the race has changed besides the aero kits. The drivers weren't going 'hell for leather' before this.
EffectiveSprinkles is offline  
Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3825090)   #189
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 17,003
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
That was the case the last few years as well, yet we still saw a lot more passing and lead changes. Nothing about the race has changed besides the aero kits.
Don't forget the green track.
bjohnsonsmith is offline  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 21:30 (Ref:3825092)   #190
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 943
EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Do you really think a less green track has that much impact? I sincerely doubt it.
EffectiveSprinkles is offline  
Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 21:35 (Ref:3825093)   #191
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 17,003
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Do you really think a less green track has that much impact? I sincerely doubt it.
Of course it does, as it affects the car's mechanical grip and traction.
bjohnsonsmith is offline  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 21:36 (Ref:3825094)   #192
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club
 
GTRMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Australia
Sell me this pen....
Posts: 44,366
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Another stat, Will Power is the first Australian to win the 500.
Not a bad weekend to be an Aussie.. with DR @ Monaco too!

Still, I had wondered if Mr Carpenter could defy the odds and get the job done. The (much) smaller private team did great to lead & end up 2nd..
GTRMagic is offline  
__________________
“Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what’s gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs” - Dr Claire Lewicki, Days of Thunder
Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 21:38 (Ref:3825095)   #193
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 7,153
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Do you really think a less green track has that much impact? I sincerely doubt it.
...yes. That's not even a question.

That's like trying to downplay the effect the moon has on tides.
Akrapovic is online now  
Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 21:40 (Ref:3825096)   #194
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 943
EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Also to give some context: I'm mainly unhappy about IndyCar meddling with a perfectly good formula for the wrong reasons. The racing was, as I said, fine. The stated claim was that removing the aero kits and going with a less downforce heavy car would improve the racing. Somehow. But really, what could possibly be improved? The manufacturer aero kits didn't even get a proper chance before the new guy came in with a kneejerk reaction. We had great Indy 500s, even great races at Barber which previously was always a sleep inducing procession (most road races were). So now we have this. All the PR crap about how amazing the car looks (I actually agree with that, it looks cool) and how much better it would be with less downforce. I never bought it then and this race showed why.


To me it all reeks of a kneejerk reaction in response to a lot of whiners, both those who didn't like the look of the cars and those proponents of the myth I described earlier. So many people screaming that all of racing's problems can be solved if there was just less downforce. It's become a religion at this point. And now that the new aerokit is here people have huge cognitive dissonance because they have to defend it. (not so much here on this board, thankfully.)
EffectiveSprinkles is offline  
Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 21:41 (Ref:3825097)   #195
joeb
Race Official
Veteran
 
joeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 10,585
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Of course it does, as it affects the car's mechanical grip and traction.
I think the high temps were an issue too. New car, new conditions. I thought the drivers did a pretty good job. It wasn't the one offs and rookies making all the errors, serious talent got it wrong multiple times today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Not a bad weekend to be an Aussie.. with DR @ Monaco too!

Still, I had wondered if Mr Carpenter could defy the odds and get the job done. The (much) smaller private team did great to lead & end up 2nd..
I was pulling for Carpenter too, but happy to see Power pull one off.
joeb is online now  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Round 6: The 101st Indianapolis 500, 15th-28th May. bjohnsonsmith Indycar Series 366 9 Jun 2017 15:23
Round 6: The 100th Indianapolis 500, 16th-29th May. bjohnsonsmith Indycar Series 155 9 Jun 2016 17:14
Round 5: The 98th Indianapolis 500, 23 - 25 May, 2014 bjohnsonsmith Indycar Series 137 29 May 2014 00:23
MotoGP Round 14 - Indianapolis Grand Prix, Indianapolis US flying finn Bike Racing 22 19 Sep 2008 12:24


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 16:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.