Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 8 Jun 2020, 22:20 (Ref:3980906)   #16
Aysedasi
Just waiting.....
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm maturing...... just maturing.......

Now 65 and still counting (hopefully.....)
Old 9 Jun 2020, 07:03 (Ref:3980927)   #17
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
Elaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridElaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would have been my 14th this year, though it would have only been my 13th consecutive.

Pretty sure my week of watching cars has just turned into being stuck on the M25
Old 9 Jun 2020, 07:46 (Ref:3980930)   #18
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It's a bit different perhaps when you realise that you've been to 39% of all the Le Mans 24 Hours.....

I'm much like Andrew. Although my first was a year earlier in 1985 (Jacky Ickx's last), I was forced to miss one at the turn of the century due to circumstances beyond my control. Yes 39% and I remember when I passed the quarter mark, then a third... My mind did wander to the race on my enforced year off, but now it's just a faint, relatively insignificant memory.

I'm at an age where I'm getting too old for it all - I'm now well into my Seventies. For a couple of years now I've been saying this is my last, yet, of course, I keep coming back and am still hopeful of being there in September. If I'm not, it will be because the French government/ACO have taken the decision will be out of my hands.

Am I missing this year's summer trip? Yes. I wish right now I was heading for the Channel, then heading south down the autoroute. I wish I was browsing in the hypermarket or a local street market, trying to decide what to cook. I wish I was lazing in the sunshine with a cold beer or wine in my hand. Worst will be on Saturday when I shall be in front of the television (If, like you Andrew, I can work out how to screen it....) It'll be a sort of race, but it won't have the atmsophere and it's definitely not the same thing, however much we "talk it up".
Old 9 Jun 2020, 08:04 (Ref:3980935)   #19
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport.tv will have coverage. It's just unclear if the coverage is free or not... individual drivers will have their own twitch.tv coverage - that will be free, but may be a bit sporadic in terms of coverage...

39%!!!!!!! Wow!

I guess I'm 'only' at 20%... or thereabouts.

We're planning on going in September, although some of our group were coming from Hong Kong, so I'm not sure how many of us will actually be there if it does indeed go ahead then...
Old 9 Jun 2020, 08:58 (Ref:3980941)   #20
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It should have been my 10th in a row this year. A nice little milestone.

I'm not really thinking too hard about September at the moment. The fact I have some major work challenges with the new date doesn't make me feel any better about the situation. I'd add my voice to those who say they'd rather it gets cancelled than run behind closed doors.

It reminds me a bit of the football situation currently and, with that, I guess I thought it was a bit selfish of many fans who said that if they couldn't be there watching in the stadiums they didn't want games to go ahead. When you consider the millions of people around the world who would get joy from watching it on TV and obviously the larger percentage would never be there in person. But when it comes to Le Mans I'm obviously a hypocrite because I'd prefer they just cancelled it. Especially because, unlike a football stadium, I'm certain there would still be people (hopefully our resourceful local members) who could still find a way to watch it.

So a lot of mixed feelings all round. The only thing I can find as a positive is thankfully this didn't happen next year as we're about to go into an exciting new rules cycle with new cars etc. The 2020 race is, on paper at least, one of the least appetising editions in recent memory. But it would still hurt not to be there.
Old 9 Jun 2020, 09:07 (Ref:3980946)   #21
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It should have been my 10th in a row this year. A nice little milestone.

I'm not really thinking too hard about September at the moment. The fact I have some major work challenges with the new date doesn't make me feel any better about the situation. I'd add my voice to those who say they'd rather it gets cancelled than run behind closed doors.

It reminds me a bit of the football situation currently and, with that, I guess I thought it was a bit selfish of many fans who said that if they couldn't be there watching in the stadiums they didn't want games to go ahead. When you consider the millions of people around the world who would get joy from watching it on TV and obviously the larger percentage would never be there in person. But when it comes to Le Mans I'm obviously a hypocrite because I'd prefer they just cancelled it. Especially because, unlike a football stadium, I'm certain there would still be people (hopefully our resourceful local members) who could still find a way to watch it.

So a lot of mixed feelings all round. The only thing I can find as a positive is thankfully this didn't happen next year as we're about to go into an exciting new rules cycle with new cars etc. The 2020 race is, on paper at least, one of the least appetising editions in recent memory. But it would still hurt not to be there.
Considering that the biggest stadium in the world holds around 115.000 spectators and that football is a single day event, I would not call you a hypocrite, when comparing it to a +200.000 spectator event lasting a week, as the fan "investment" is much larger with Le Mans than a football game.
Old 9 Jun 2020, 09:21 (Ref:3980950)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well by now i should have been heading towards Rouen in the comfort of the Daimler, with thoughts about where to stop for a coffee or perhaps lunch, instead i will be heading in the opposite direction to sit in the garden with my usual traveling companion (Kevin) and planning our trip in September, hopefully.
Old 9 Jun 2020, 17:05 (Ref:3981009)   #23
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How does Le Mans feel?
Empty. Sad. Lack of english accent. Lack of life in town and around.
Unsual isn'it?
And the weather is ................
Attached Thumbnails
20200609_185821[1].jpg  
Old 9 Jun 2020, 17:31 (Ref:3981013)   #24
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 has a real shot at the podium!seanyb505 has a real shot at the podium!seanyb505 has a real shot at the podium!seanyb505 has a real shot at the podium!
I'll start by saying I have an impressive streak of zero in person Le Mans visits. Having said that, I've just learned that a major part of my Le Mans plans for the last 6 years will no longer be. If there's anything I've learned from Le Mans, racing and especially sportscar racing, it's that nothing lasts forever.

Have fun in California; you're dead to me.

PS call me for a final beer
Old 9 Jun 2020, 18:03 (Ref:3981019)   #25
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I'll start by saying I have an impressive streak of zero in person Le Mans visits. Having said that, I've just learned that a major part of my Le Mans plans for the last 6 years will no longer be. If there's anything I've learned from Le Mans, racing and especially sportscar racing, it's that nothing lasts forever.

Have fun in California; you're dead to me.

PS call me for a final beer
I feel like this is your way of saying how much you truly love me.
Old 9 Jun 2020, 18:39 (Ref:3981025)   #26
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well after a nice garden chat plans for September are made, if it happens we will be there
Old 9 Jun 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3981029)   #27
JoeW04
Racer

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iím planning to go in September fingers crossed but funnily enough Iíve been watching last years race in the evenings recently, Iím about 3 hours into the race so this weekend Iím gonna watch the rest of it and have a night on the sofa Saturday night as if Iím actually there, my living room sofa is not quite the bank at Indianapolis but at least I probably wonít be cold and regretting not bringing another sleeping bag from the car... which is probably parked in the furthest car park away
Old 9 Jun 2020, 20:28 (Ref:3981043)   #28
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was lucky in a way that my run ended early, went from 1998 to 2005 and then had to skip 2006 for some infernal football competition. Since then i've missed 3, due to some infernal other motorsport series, so i've now done 20.69% of all Le Mans (thanks google), and met Ayse on probably 50% of those visits.

I'm far from convinced this years race will happen and if i, we, will be able to attend. If we do i think it will be quite cool, i don't suppose we will ever have another September race in a long time, so it will be interesting to see how different it is at another time of the year.
Old 9 Jun 2020, 21:31 (Ref:3981049)   #29
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My run isn't as long as some, first went in 2010, I've been 10 years in a row.

I decided immediately after doing the LM-N24 double header last year that I would give 2020 a miss, and go again in 2021 for the new cars.

Due to that early decision, I'm absolutely fine if LM happens behind closed doors, though of course I hope the people who want to go can do so safely.

However, I really hope it isn't cancelled outright. it's been a decade since I've been able to watch it properly on TV!
Old 10 Jun 2020, 06:59 (Ref:3981077)   #30
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well good news, i woke up this morning with out a fuzzy head, patched dry throat and then having to do a cooked breakfast for our group, but still unhappy that i am in Kent rather than on the campsite.